Thread: Cleaning kits

Cleaning kits

Does anyone have any experiance with the otis cleaning systems. I was looking at getting one of their all-in-one kits for all of my families guns, but feedback on the web is kinda hot and cold.

If you use anything specific any and all input would be appreciated.

Until I inherited all these guns all I ever really used was the HK kit that I got with my usp expert .45

Save your money.

A stiff bristled brush, cleaning rod(s), and properly sized bore brush and patches are likely to serve you much better. Those items may not come in a handy dandy little zipper container with MOLLE/ALICE attachments that allow you to attach it to your war belt, but I have found them to be much more useful than an Otis kit.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Cost for kit vs components

I was thinking more along the lines of their component quality. This will be a stay at home kit. If their components are crap, then it doesn't matter how complete the kit is, I just thought that in the short term it my be cheaper to buy a kit that will cover the 10 different calibers i need as opposed to getting everthing individually. I just came off a long unemployment after getting laid off, and it will be months before I have that much petty cash.

All these guns have been in storage for years, and were not very well stored. I need to get them cleaned up before I can even sell anything.

I've had very good experiences with the Otis stuff. The quality is pretty high, and the convenience and versatility is great, ONCE YOU GET USED TO HOW THEY USE THEIR PATCHES. I can't stress that last part enough.

For a dedicated home kit, there are "better" ways to go, though much more expensive.

For a kit you carry in the field, I strip the unnecessary stuff out of mine, and carry it with me, no matter what I'm hunting.

I used to use Dewey stuff at home and Otis in the field, and in a past life, our arms room at work was stocked with the best stuff available. We issued Otis for deployments and remote training, but still used "the good stuff", back home. After a little while, we stopped using the good stuff, and just used the Otis for everything. Makes you better with it, and simplified procurement and stocking logistics.

As always, YMMV.

Which kit were you looking at for your needs?

Probably the tactical kit for around $60. I don't see paying 140 for the expert kit. well maybe a hundred (on amazon) but only if I know I have some money coming in in advanced.

A cleaning dvd, the scrapper kit and the scope cleaning kit I can improvise on my own if nessesary.

User Tag List