Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Unarmed response to knife attacks or similar

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I mean...technically...all major cultures are historical knife cultures...

I've seen video from Palestinian groups for knife techniques for ambush attacks...it's basic as can be; hide the knife, close in on target, grab hold (control) target, stab knife into upper thoracic/lower midsection, repeat.

The reality is...it isn't hard to use man's oldest tool effectively. Find fleshy bits...insert pointy end...repeat.
    Id be interested in seeing that if you have it bookmarked. One vid I recently saw when searching terrorist knife attacks was in Israel. One (unarmed) guy started chasing the knife guy, he fled, though stabbed a lady as he ran by. The chaser eventually caught up with the guy and kicked him, then apparently got him down and other people joined in to help subdue him. The point being, the knife guy didnt seem interested in a fight per se, just stabbing people that didnt put up a fight. Thats not saying one could expect that reaction, just making the point that he didnt seem interested in a fight. The others id seen and read before seemed similar, they werent determined in attacking any one individual so much as creating as much mayhem as possible. None of my observations are to be construed as knowledgeable, I'm just trying to get an idea about what can be workable defense against them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUQnh6yn068

Another vid, Germany I believe. A group of people were throwing chairs at the knife guy (this was out on the street), and he was not being very effective at that point. The end of the vid he seemed somewhat cornered after getting nailed a number of times with chairs thrown with great enthusiasm by a number of people. The vid wasnt complete from start to finish, so we only have a short bit from the middle. No idea how it ended.

Found the vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLo4olZsw4o
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-19-2017 at 10:54 PM.

This is the "training" video, again, very basic instruction, that looks derived from WWII combatives-type stuff.

http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Co...l-media-385942

Thanks Rob.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It doesn't matter how well trained someone is with a knife
    Sorry Rob, but that is not correct.

Everyone that is stating how difficult dealing with a blade can be is 100% on the money.We did knife defenses last night and it's not easy to say the least.Our philosophy is to block and control the delivery system of the blade(the arm) while simultaneously disrupting the thought process by causing as much pain and and damage as possible.Even in training when playing the role of attacker,a good stiff right cross to the face takes your mind off the knife.Of course against a dedicated person it will require more than that,but if I can gouge out an eyeball or collapse his throat that should at least put his thought process on hold long enough for me to continue to damage him until he’s no longer a threat.There are no easy answers to this,that’s for sure.
    Last edited by krav51; 09-01-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    There is a lot of weaksauce two-on-one in that video. There's also a lot of bad posture, position, and pressure from the defenders in there. Almost like they've been lined up against a wall to get beat on...

Two-on-one is a solid approach to keep from getting stabbed, but you have to hang on that arm and drag that motherfucker around. It can be done by smaller opponents against bigger people (in fact it works better that way, more leverage). I've done it myself, while simultaneously getting punched in the head. Some say getting punched isn't much better...I'd rather someone punch me on the back of my head where my skull is the thickest than stick that knife in my soft bits. Particularly when I am closed up and controlling them so they can't swing with the hips and body in it (i.e., they are bitch hitting).

__

Anyways, I was reviewing EWO notes earlier today and noticed a note for another good piece of kit. The Sabre Spitfire OC spray setup is a nicely effective "eye jab" in the hand, unfortunately, it appears that it has been discontinued. So, another alternative is the ASP Defender series (I personally like the Palm Defender size for keys - https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/...mpact-defender). This is something that can be in hand/on hand and deployed in close, but not quite knife in the guts range.

It's not meant to be more than a deterrent/escape mechanism, but they may be all you need. Also useful as a dog deterrent. I carry a larger can of Sabre H2O based stuff with UV dye in it when walking the dog - https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-sabre...delivery-spray This way if I spray someone/some dog with it, it can be identified later.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-01-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Run if possible. If not, seek over match.

Over match against a knife, to me, means something with longer range. Wasp spray at walmart, a baseball bat at Academy, a broken dowel rod with a sharp point in the crafts dept. a fire extinguisher sprayed to the face, anything that will give you more reach, because damage over match nearly does not exist, IMO, given the confines of the scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Run if possible. If not, seek over match.

Over match against a knife, to me, means something with longer range. Wasp spray at walmart, a baseball bat at Academy, a broken dowel rod with a sharp point in the crafts dept. a fire extinguisher sprayed to the face, anything that will give you more reach, because damage over match nearly does not exist, IMO, given the confines of the scenario.

In the recent attacks in London, people were in the street, or in restaurants or bars, out for the evening. The few things that came to mind were long neck beer bottles, fire extinguishers, furniture, or mop or broom handles. Similar things may be about all that one is likely to find if in some place/state they arent legally able to carry a gun. In the bar or restaurant setting, convincing the barkeep to fill pitchers with scalding water to throw in the face of an attacker may help disable or distract them. Pitchers may be fair at deflecting knife slashes to some degree for that matter, in the way bucklers are. Not the sort of thing that on the job training would be optimal for.

Unless any knife wielding aggressors were extremely slow at running, that isnt going to help me much. If I could knock both their crutches out from them, I may have a chance running.

I know my response will probably get me into some trouble in some form, but I will anyhow. I would carry 2 bars of soap in a nylon sock make it long sock so you have distance to strike. Swing for all you have. I would run myself and use the soap in the sock at last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I know my response will probably get me into some trouble in some form, but I will anyhow. I would carry 2 bars of soap in a nylon sock make it long sock so you have distance to strike. Swing for all you have. I would run myself and use the soap in the sock at last resort.
    So this is what you normally carry around with you all the time, like out for dinner, or socializing?
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-06-2017 at 10:34 AM.

User Tag List