Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unarmed response to knife attacks or similar

Site Supporter
    If you do social media look up Ed's Manifesto. He has Facebook, tumblr, and Pinterest accounts.

He posts lots of videos of actual knife attacks, and some good material on npes and mindset.

Active self defense network has quite a few videos of knife attacks too.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 08-19-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Keep them/him/her at a distance by whatever means necessary, don't let them close in.

If they close in try as best you can to maneuver yourself on their outside or back.

If multiples, try as best you can stack them through maneuver (of yourself and/or one of them), same as you would with a gun.

BillSWPA has good advice.

If you can't carry a gun, carry a knife that you can get into action quickly.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 08-19-2017 at 04:17 AM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Serious question: how would you use BJJ to defend against a knife attack?

I'm sure this has been posted here before, but I can't even imagine how you would defend against this, other than by not being there:

Greg Ellefritz has also done some stuff on how criminals attack with a sharp object.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

ICE there are absolutely ways to defend that prison pump grab and stab. Are they 100%, of course not but awareness and the right training makes a massive difference. I've found that stopping the blade retraction is as critical as the stab. Once the pumping is more manageable you cam get to work with something like a two arm drag to control and get behind the arm.
    Check out some videos on red zone knife defense. Their stuff looks very tidy.

Site Supporter
    I think that defense vs a terrorist knifing and a targeted knifing are different and the same.

At least in the terrorist attack scenario you may have a chance to attack them while they are preoccupied with attacking someone else. If your ambush isn't effective then you then become the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I think that defense vs a terrorist knifing and a targeted knifing are different and the same.

At least in the terrorist attack scenario you may have a chance to attack them while they are preoccupied with attacking someone else. If your ambush isn't effective then you then become the target.
    If you have time to play Bourne Identity with an improvised weapon,you have time to find an exit.

You DID scan the room for alternative exit options when you got there,right?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    If you have time to play Bourne Identity with an improvised weapon,you have time to find an exit.

It's depends on the situation. If it's an obvious terrorist attack I wouldn't run away, nobody relies on my paycheck but me and I have a DNR so I hopefully don't become a permanent toddler under the state's care. I couldn't live with beating feet in that situation. I know my answer isn't the right answer for everybody and I don't look down on others who decide on self preservation first. We all make our own choices and live with the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It's depends on the situation. If it's an obvious terrorist attack I wouldn't run away, nobody relies on my paycheck but me and I have a DNR so I hopefully don't become a permanent toddler under the state's care. I couldn't live with beating feet in that situation. I know my answer isn't the right answer for everybody and I don't look down on others who decide on self preservation first. We all make our own choices and live with the consequences.
    I think that in a terrorist type knife attack, if the intended victims worked together, it would be more effective to resist and stop the attacker. We like to think of England as being overly regulated and civilized, but that seemed to be the mindset of many of the people in London, to resist and confront, not just run away. In an enclosed space like a restaurant or bar, it would be more difficult for everyone to simply get away, and probably more incentive to resist and fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

Yes, but some of us older folks are not as mobile as we'd like to be......

User Tag List