Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unarmed response to knife attacks or similar

Unarmed defense against a knife. Edged Weapons Overview by Shivworks covers some of the best basics for unarmed response. Go take it, if you're physically able. If you aren't, a cane could be a viable weapon.

Personally, I like things with a stand-off capability like a cane designed specifically for defensive use ..... http://www.canemasters.com/ being a good place to start.

In terms of improvisation, spend a few minutes in the hardware and tool section of a Lowe's Improvement/Home Depot with an open mind and the possibilities for a serious force multiplier will jump off the shelves at you.

There is absolutely no reason to have nothing these days, here or when traveling abroad. It's not an ideal situation, but it's the price one must pay when you find yourself in forbidden territory.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 08-18-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    I know it's not exactly applicable to your question, but it might help someone new.

One of the games I've played since I was a teenager (during the time of Colombine) is "What in this area could I use as a weapon?"

Even if I armed I still play it, he'll I'm always playing it. For example right now at my outdoor restaurant I have my motorcycle helmet sitting at the table, there are chairs, but what caught my eye are the tiki torches with steel poles that are probably sharpened on the end.

Specifically for knife defense I think a backpack with some improvised armour, or just a laptop in it could be used as a good improvised shield. Also a jacket, or other heavy material wrapped around one arm will give more protection than you might think against cuts.

1. Paracord. Unwound, can be used to entangle
    2. Mini flashlight - good for intended purpose and as an impact weapon
    3. Small knife like a Kershaw Cryo - under "3 and very sharp
    4. Coin purse - with spare batteries for your light - can be used as a sap

Just some rambling thoughts from a former Angelino.......back to normal programming.

BillSWPA has a whole bunch of great information in his post! Everyone, make sure to go over what he wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Would it be a bad idea to use a chair and trying to use that to keep space between you and an attacker? Perhaps facing he legs away form you and jabbing? If this is really stupid let me know since I have zero experience in his arena. It was something I'd considered, at least if you're somewhere like a restaurant.
    BillSWPA is spot on. Unarmed vs a knife is very difficult problem. It's exacerbated by the fact that there are gobs and gobs of bullshit out there, particularly from the traditional martial arts community. If anybody says they have a simple, fool proof solution, look away.

Unlike shooting bad people with handguns, there isn't a big body of knowledge of accounts people who have successfully gone empty hand vs a knife that we can study to develop a good set of TTPS for this problem. That should be a clue right there.

Regarding SCW2's question about a chair, I'm 6'3" and have studied various forms of defensive tactics and martial arts for over 20 years. If I had no firearm, and absolutely had to engage a person with an edged weapon, picking up a large, heavy piece of furniture and beating the ever loving shit out of them is way higher on my list of preferred options than all the empty hand stuff I've studied.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Training is key. Something solid in the hand to wack hands and heads is good. Pens are nice. Powerful flashlights are able to really screw up vision for a couple seconds and create a flinch that may be the carpe diem moment you need.
    Walking around with a cane is not practical for me.....yet.

Some good comments, thanks.

I was reading some of the news pieces about the recent London knife attacks. The 3 guys were going into restaurants and bars stabbing and slashing people. The patrons were throwing glasses, bottles and chairs at them. One bouncer said he got a call from another bouncer he knew telling him the guys were headed his way, they were also throwing chairs at them. I couldnt find the article about the guy that got cut up, I believe he stalled one of them long enough that a number of people were able to get out a back door or some such thing. One tough thing, there were 3 working together at the first, which would be difficult to defend from. I dont think they pressed much of an attack against people that put up much resistance. I think I bookmarked several news pieces , but they are in my dead computer. In a restaurant or similar place, it occurred to me that theres likely brooms and mops there, and would gain distance and perhaps impact or trip capability without getting inside knife reach. Fire extinguishers are on my mind often also when out and about in civilized places. Broken bottles, or perhaps pitchers may be useful. I dont know.

The stool or chair thing sounds like a good idea. If you could coordinate several people at once, you may have a chance of disabling an attacker. Pitchers of scalding hot tap water may be useful in such an event also.

I tend to carry a small pepper canister and Buck folding knife of medium size. Better than harsh words, but not as nice as being able to carry a gun. If walking the dog, the dog rope with the clip on the end would potentially make an impact weapon, perhaps a deterrent at least. Its somewhat of a culture shock after being where I'm pretty unrestricted in whatever Id wish to carry, and about anywhere.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-18-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Some degree of realism should be considered here. I don't want to be Mr Pessimism,but there's a nonzero number of folks with guns who fought knife armed assailants at close range and lost.

There are some defensive problems whose only practical solution is a good pair of running shoes.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Multiple opponents definitely complicates an already complicated problem. The best - but not necessarily good - solutions I have seen involve separating them - perhaps by running away - or positioning yourself so that only one at a time can attack you. Then, make an example of the closest one before the others can reach you. Not easy to do against knives but little is easy in that situation.

Do not get in the middle of them, and if you do, move out of that position as quickly as possible even if it means taking some damage in the process. You will not last long by staying in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List