View Poll Results: Glock 34 with new holster, Glock 17, gen 5, or shut up?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 34 with new proper length holster

10 22.22%
  • Glock 17

18 40.00%
  • Congratulations, now shut up and keep shooting!

6 13.33%
  • Gen 5 beta tester

12 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Glock 17 vs 34 with option of Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Not true due to slide weight being about the same plus it shouldn't be that big an issue regardless.
    What part is not true?

Certainly the original Glock was a 17, and there are varying prototypes as Gaston Glock worked with slide weight and distribution to optimize function.

There is a difference between the weight "being about the same" and being the same, since Glock shows a .70 ounce empty weight difference between the two models. There is also a difference in the weight distribution, since the slides are different lengths.

Most importantly, I have observed this over many years of my wife and I shooting about a dozen model 34 pistols and more than a dozen model 17 pistols, with a wide range of power factor ammo, factory and reloads. Confirmed it by the experience of others I know.

I would be interested in whether your comments are theoretical or based on shooting a wide range of power factor ammo through multiple model 17 and 34 pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What part is not true?

Certainly the original Glock was a 17, and there are varying prototypes as Gaston Glock worked with slide weight and distribution to optimize function.

There is a difference between the weight "being about the same" and being the same, since Glock shows a .70 ounce empty weight difference between the two models. There is also a difference in the weight distribution, since the slides are different lengths.

Most importantly, I have observed this over many years of my wife and I shooting about a dozen model 34 pistols and more than a dozen model 17 pistols, with a wide range of power factor ammo, factory and reloads. Confirmed it by the experience of others I know.

I would be interested in whether your comments are theoretical or based on shooting a wide range of power factor ammo through multiple model 17 and 34 pistols.
    As you said, there is a < 1 oz difference between the two, consider that this is the same order of magnitude change as switching from plastic sights to steel sights.

It's more complicated than just the mass of the slide. The lockup geometry is different, as is the recoil impulse.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It's more complicated than just the mass of the slide. The lockup geometry is different, as is the recoil impulse.
    How is the lockup geometry different, they use literally the same locking parts unlike 17 vs 19 vs 26

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    The effect even happens just with a longer holster body, even if a shorter gun is in it (26 in a 34-length holster.)
    I discovered this when I decided to start carrying an X300 on my pistol of choice (G19, PPQ, P10C) and was very pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    How is the lockup geometry different, they use literally the same locking parts unlike 17 vs 19 vs 26
    Put them side by side, pull the slides back, and you can see how the barrel length difference causes the angle of the barrel to be different.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Put them side by side, pull the slides back, and you can see how the barrel length difference causes the angle of the barrel to be different.
    That is only apparent when the pistols are completely out of battery so does it really matter? To me that isn't part of lockup, and the locking blocks are the same part regardless.

User Tag List