View Poll Results: Glock 34 with new holster, Glock 17, gen 5, or shut up?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 34 with new proper length holster

10 22.22%
  • Glock 17

18 40.00%
  • Congratulations, now shut up and keep shooting!

6 13.33%
  • Gen 5 beta tester

12 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 vs 34 with option of Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A consideration, is the 34 may require higher power factor ammo to run reliably. Not a problem with "duty" ammo, but possibly with some practice ammo. All things considered, I find the 17 more reliable than a 34, and the 34 softer shooting than a 17. Probably not surprising since the 17 was the original design, and considerable work was done with slide mass and balance during the development process of the 17.
    I use quality ammunition and never had an issue with a G17 or G34.

A consideration, is the 34 may require higher power factor ammo to run reliably. Not a problem with "duty" ammo, but possibly with some practice ammo.
    Sidenote on this: I've seen and experienced that, but found the gen4 G34s to be far more tolerant than the earlier variants.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Sidenote on this: I've seen and experienced that, but found the gen4 G34s to be far more tolerant than the earlier variants.
    I don't have experience with any generation G34, but I would have bet the Gen 4 gun would have been the one to present problems due to the dual recoil spring that was probably initially optimized for the .40 S&W G35.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I don't have experience with any generation G34, but I would have bet the Gen 4 gun would have been the one to present problems due to the dual recoil spring that was probably initially optimized for the .40 S&W G35.
    I have seen it on multiple Gen 3 and 4 Glock 34 pistols, compared to the same ammo running in a G17 just fine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've never used an OEM recoil spring in a G34...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've never used an OEM recoil spring in a G34...
    What do you like instead?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    What do you like instead?
    Sorry. That was unnecessarily cryptic. I got interrupted before finishing. I use my G4 G34s for gaming, not carry. So I use a Jager steel guiderod and pick the recoil spring that works with my load. For carry (G4 G19, 17, 26, 43) I use OEM and have no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Sorry. That was unnecessarily cryptic. I got interrupted before finishing. I use my G4 G34s for gaming, not carry. So I use a Jager steel guiderod and pick the recoil spring that works with my load. For carry (G4 G19, 17, 26, 43) I use OEM and have no issues.
    I'm new to 34's. What load is working for you and recoil spring?

I'm currently using 124 TC Blue Bullets over 4.0 of 231. I forget OAL at the moment. Not supper accurate out of the 34 so I'm looking for something different. Also, I get a little bit of dip as the slide closes so it has me wanting to look at a lighter recoil spring. I'm leaning toward a 13#.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Glock 17 vs 34 with option of Glock 19

When I was shooting a G34 in USPSA Production, I used:
    SNS 147 gr coated round nose
    3.3 VV N320
    Federal primers
    COL 1.150"

I like a very soft recoil spring that --as you mention--reduces muzzle dive after the slide cycles. I used 13# ISMI springs.

Note that N320 is really expensive. You can get a similar load for half the cost using Nobel Sport Prima V.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-21-2017 at 12:36 PM.

A consideration, is the 34 may require higher power factor ammo to run reliably. Not a problem with "duty" ammo, but possibly with some practice ammo. All things considered, I find the 17 more reliable than a 34, and the 34 softer shooting than a 17. Probably not surprising since the 17 was the original design, and considerable work was done with slide mass and balance during the development process of the 17.
    Not true due to slide weight being about the same plus it shouldn't be that big an issue regardless.

User Tag List