View Poll Results: Glock 34 with new holster, Glock 17, gen 5, or shut up?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 34 with new proper length holster

10 22.22%
  • Glock 17

18 40.00%
  • Congratulations, now shut up and keep shooting!

6 13.33%
  • Gen 5 beta tester

12 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 vs 34 with option of Glock 19

Site Supporter

Glock 17 vs 34 with option of Glock 19

I have been carrying a Glock 19 for a long time because of my tactical energy storage device (belly). I made myself a deal that if I lost enough weight to carry a full sized Glock without terrible printing I would buy one. Being that I have a few glock AIWB holster around the house I cut the bottom out of one to try my Father's Glock 34. It actually went quite well.

Here is the question, is the Glock 34 worth the extra money and buying a new holster over a Glock 17? Should I even bother with a full size? I have started just running 17 round mags in my G19 anyway. Last option is way a few week or a month and be another gen 5 beta tester.

I run a holster for a G17 and interchange between the 17 and the 19.

Ive never carried a 34 appendix, plenty of people do it though. In a self defense scenario, I don't know how much benefit you would see using a 34 vs 17 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    I have been carrying a Glock 19 for a long time because of my tactical energy storage device (belly). I made myself a deal that if I lost enough weight to carry a full sized Glock without terrible printing I would buy one. Being that I have a few glock AIWB holster around the house I cut the bottom out of one to try my Father's Glock 34. It actually went quite well.

Here is the question, is the Glock 34 worth the extra money and buying a new holster over a Glock 17? Should I even bother with a full size? I have started just running 17 round mags in my G19 anyway. Last option is way a few week or a month and be another gen 5 beta tester.
    I used to carry a G34 at 3-4 ish o'clock IWB. I tried a G17 and found that I seemed to be able to make transitions from target to target faster and more confidently than with the 34; the 17 would stop when and where I wanted it to, the 34 not so much. The muzzle of the 34, compared to that of the 17, seemed to wallow around a bit, if that makes any sense. I now have gotten rid of both my 34s and have replaced them with 17s, and am very satisfied all-around. I don't recall seeing a difference in shot-to-shot on the same target with the 34 vs. 17. I have noticed that when reholstering the 34 I had to be much more careful to avoid muzzling myself than when reholstering the 17.

I never found a huge difference between the 17 and the 34 as far as shooting and carrying (carried both AIWB). Unless you find you shoot the 34 noticeably better, I'd just stick with a 17.

I've carried the 34 in a Dara AIWB holster and with the Raven Vanguard Gen 2. It's great for standing, but sitting can be uncomfortable. The slide hits right between the thigh and testicles, and has caused some soreness after prolonged sitting.

I carried this way for an 800 mile road trip on a motorcycle. I will never do that again. There was pinching between sensitive areas and the tank.

I've chronographed the 19 and the 34 with several different types of ammo, and I found the velocity difference to be about 20-30 feet per second.

I find the the longer sight radius allows me to be more precise with the 34 but the shorter sight radius on the 19 "feels" faster. I haven't compared with a shot timer, so I don't have hard data on that.

The 34 for is a great handling gun. Recoil is super soft and muzzle flip is greatly reduced. If you are standing and walking most of the time I don't see an issue. If you are sitting for long periods of time then the discomfort may outweigh the slight velocity and sight radius increase.

You can always have both setups and change what you use depending on the situation. Sounds like you'll have earned it.
    Last edited by I922sParkCir; 08-18-2017 at 02:13 PM.

I'm a big fan of long slide Glocks. I carry a 22 or 35 in a 35 holster. I find the accuracy improvement to be worth the longer length. I carry my 35 aiwb in a Zorn Wraith holster. I'm 5'11 200 and it works great.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Calling @Mr_White .
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post

It took me quite a while to appreciate the G34 over the G17, but eventually I did. The 17 is great though, as is the 19, and there are plenty of people who judge themselves to be better off with a 19 rather than 17, or 17 rather than 34. I think you would have to try them all, probably over a period of time, to figure it out how it's going to shake out for you. The good news is that I don't really think you can go wrong with any of those guns. A G34-length holster, even if you carry a 19 or 17 in it, can help make it harder for the gun to point directly at your body when carried in the AIWB position. So that might be worthwhile if it works for you, no matter which of the guns you end up going with.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    It took me quite a while to appreciate the G34 over the G17, but eventually I did. The 17 is great though, as is the 19, and there are plenty of people who judge themselves to be better off with a 19 rather than 17, or 17 rather than 34. I think you would have to try them all, probably over a period of time, to figure it out how it's going to shake out for you. The good news is that I don't really think you can go wrong with any of those guns. A G34-length holster, even if you carry a 19 or 17 in it, can help make it harder for the gun to point directly at your body when carried in the AIWB position. So that might be worthwhile if it works for you, no matter which of the guns you end up going with.
    I've never thought about the fact that a 34 would make it harder for the gun to be pointed directly at your body.

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    I've never thought about the fact that a 34 would make it harder for the gun to be pointed directly at your body.

The effect even happens just with a longer holster body, even if a shorter gun is in it (26 in a 34-length holster.)
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List