Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A couple of quick N frame questions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Index funds probably do better than most firearms over time, unless you're telling your wife the new pistol is an "investment".
    Maybe, but the AR I built in 2004 (immediately after the old ban sunsetted) cost me about $550 to build and sold (well used!) for $1100 immediately after Obama was elected. I turned that $1100 into a S&W M17-2 ($450) and a CZ Bobwhite 20g shotgun ($650). The M17 has increased in value (about $700ish these days, but peaked at nearly $900 a few years ago). I suspect the CZ has held its value reasonably well based on what I see in gun stores.

Doubled my money on a used gun, which became two guns, which would likely sell for more than I made on gun #1 if I sold them both (no intention to sell either).

Chris

If you cannot reach the trigger, for a DA pull, with the center of the grip frame properly positioned, so that the weapon is properly aligned with your forearm bones, then just do not shoot DA. I fired big-bore N-frames, including .44 Mags, with an improper grip, in the mid-to-late-Eighties, and am paying for it, today. My large hands love holding N-Frames, but my index fingers are, at best, medium-length, so cannot attain an advantageous position on an N-Frame trigger, for DA shooting, unless modified. My ex-SAPD Model 58 has such a modified trigger, and is my only remaining N-Frame. Even so, I have not shot it in well over twenty years. If I shoot it again, I will do so with my healthier left hand. (The Model 58 shipped with a narrow trigger, unlike most other N-Frames, and mine had the trigger face dressed-down to remove the grooves, and bring the face nearer to the rear of the weapon.)

Had my chief not OK'ed 9mm as an alternative duty cartridge, in September 2015, I would have probably retired from LEO-ing within that year, rather than keep using .40 Snap & Whip. In the Eighties, I thought the .41 Magum was a wonderful duty cartridge, exhilarating to shoot. In 2004, I loved .40 S&W, fired from my radar-guided SIG P229 pistols. By 2011, it really hirt to shoot .40 from the SIGs. Today, a G19 hurts, when shooting right-handed, unless I hang a Surefire light on the rail, to damp muzzle flip. To be clear, I am not blaming .40 S&W for anything, just providing a timeline reference. I think the big-bore Magnums, fired DA, with an improper hold on the frame, caused the damage.

I am serious. Do not wreck your hand.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-19-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    I too was an ardent N frame big bore d.a. shooter. Pachmyar grips and shooting gloves helped. Despite using them, I later began to suffer wrist and elbow pain and eventually the big ones even aggravated my shoulder arthritis. I'm in the ultra arthritic category today. Saying how much shooting contributed to my problems is difficult, but I believe that the big bores were a factor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Leave it alone. Even in less than perfect condition and with no box or documents, it has collectable value. Yes, S&W made Magna grips for N-Frames but originals are expensive. You might try Hogue grips. They aren't overly large. I have large hands and their finger groove models are a bit small for me. If you want wood, give Herrett's a try.
    20 years ago S&W factory wood take offs were $5 or $10 in bins at the gun store or gun show. Like $100 trade in K frames those days are long gone.

Plus one for Herrertts grips.

Site Supporter
    Rex G & willie have some good points. We'll see what I can do as far as custom grips.

User Tag List