Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my precision reloading setup, thoughts?

I just snagged a Forster Neck Turning tool at a gun show for stupid cheap($10.00). My next batch of .308 for the bench gun will be my first foray with neck turned brass.

I doubt I'll notice any difference at my current skill level, but we'll see.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    No experience with the Lyman but I have had good luck with the Chargemaster. I guess there is a straw mod where you put a piece of straw in the dispensing tube to help consistency. $200 is an okay price, I think I have seen them on sale with a rebate for pretty close to that. You may want to check out the newer Chargemaster Lite as I think it is about $200 new and doesn't require the straw mod.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I let Black Hills handle my precision reloading needs. My OCD would be in constant conflict with practical me from start to finish. The battles would probably keep me awake at night.

Fact is, I know what it takes to develop truly superb accuracy from the whole package, and I'm just not willing to half ass any aspect of precision in the precision shooting equation. And I'm just not dedicated enough to put in the time necessary to maintain the shooting skills, let alone loading to such exacting standards. Black Hills can load ammo good enough for my new accuracy requirements of "good enough".

This being lazy/retired shit is pretty sweet!!!
    What is good enough for Sean M? 1 MOA?

I'm generally happy with <2 minutes for GP. For precision applications, I can live with a minute, so long as it is consistently repeatable. In days gone by, I wasn't happy with anything larger than 1/2 MOA. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time unhappy........
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    No experience with the Lyman but I have had good luck with the Chargemaster. I guess there is a straw mod where you put a piece of straw in the dispensing tube to help consistency. $200 is an okay price, I think I have seen them on sale with a rebate for pretty close to that. You may want to check out the newer Chargemaster Lite as I think it is about $200 new and doesn't require the straw mod.
    My Lyman came with a insert that works pretty good with imr 4046.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Chargemaster! I was able to crank out another OCW spread for 6.5 Grendel in about 40 min.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Have you seen David Tubb's video on Precision Reloading?

I have it on DVD and found it very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Chargemaster! I was able to crank out another OCW spread for 6.5 Grendel in about 40 min.
    I assume by the powder in that picture that you are dispensing 8208 from the Chargemaster? Mine struggles with 8208 as it dispenses the right amount but every couple rounds it overshoots. I think some powder is falling in after the beep. Makes me wonder if the straw mod will help. The Lee powder measure I have is more consistent and I love 8208 XBR so I am trying to figure out what is going on.

Sorry if this is a derail...

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I assume by the powder in that picture that you are dispensing 8208 from the Chargemaster? Mine struggles with 8208 as it dispenses the right amount but every couple rounds it overshoots. I think some powder is falling in after the beep. Makes me wonder if the straw mod will help. The Lee powder measure I have is more consistent and I love 8208 XBR so I am trying to figure out what is going on.

Sorry if this is a derail...
    Yup. 8208XBR. When I bought my CM, I did a firmware mod that makes it more precise. I totally forget how to do that now.

I'll have maybe 1 in 20 overweight by 0.1-0.2gr and for a OCW load that doesn't matter.

H4350 sometimes backs up in the tube and dumps +0.5gr. Then I'll pinch out a few to bring it back to weight.

I've been meaning to try the straw mod...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I know you've already got your stuff but if you ever start looking at trimmers again, the best I have used is the L.E. Wilson sold by Sinclair Int'l. You can get the most fancy version or the base version (which I have). You will have to have the correct case holder but if you're only loading one or two calibers it's not too bad. It isn't as fast as some but mine has been very accurate.

User Tag List