Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my precision reloading setup, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Do you have a separate head for case prep?
    Yes,
    Lee Load Master
    Station 1 deprime and size, station 2 prime, Station 3 empty, station 4 trim, station 5 empty. This is after the LC once fired has been swaged.

I do this for all my .223, .243 .30-40 .308 and .30-30 brass. The .223 I load progressive with a second tool head all other rifle loads I work single stage, though I may do up a progressive tool head for the .30-30

ETA: I should say that I do not process my .308 precision brass like this. That is done single stage, neck size only after initial firing.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 08-20-2017 at 08:50 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Update on the World's Cheapest Trimmer:

It works fine but I found that the cases need case lube for it work properly, at least the first few. Once set, it's just like the World's Finest Trimmer in operation. To me, neither are exact machines, one must measure the brass before and after to make sure that the brass is where you want it.
    #RESIST

I really like the Redding Competition Shell Holders for loading precision rifle ammo.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...ellholder-sets

My setup for comparison-

Press: Forster CoAx. I used a RCBS Rockchucker for a long time and it still works. The Forster is just nicer all the way around.

Dies: Redding, Whidden, Wilson, and Newlon. All of them have their pros and cons but they all will accept different sized neck bushings which I like to play with as neck tension is crucial to accurate ammo. I've even made some pretty good ammo with Hornady New Dimension dies.

Priming: Good old Lee Auto Prime

Powder measure: RCBS Chargemaster which works well with a lot of different powders but struggles with 8208 so I think I will try the straw mod. If I want to go manual then I use a Redding trickler and a Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder measure.

Trimming: RCBS trimmer or a Possum Hollow for bulk precision 223. I may try the WCT as the Possum Hollow is getting old and needs a new cutting head. Did I say I hate trimming? It is why I like 6x47 Lapua and 223 Ackley as I never trim them.

Annealing: A turntable and a propane torch, along with my eyes in low light. Tempilaq for setup. Works well but I think I can get better results with an inductive annealer, and plan on building one this winter.

Neck Turning: Forster and Hornady. The Hornady tool frustrates me but I think I am getting the hang of it.

I also use some other tools from Sinclair to measure the shoulder bump and OAL off the bullet ogive, and a Hornady depth gauge to find the best OAL.

If you have not had a chance to read TresMon's Reloading for Long Range threads on SnipersHide, I would recommend it. It does a good job of explaining why you would want to go through extra steps for improved accuracy.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

RCBS Rockchucker
    RCBS full length dies for 308
    Lyman powder dispenser gen6
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AU...wder+dispenser
    Franklin Arsenal case prep center
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HS...rIL&ref=plSrch

So far it's been ok, brass prep still sucks but is needed when reloading for a ar10 rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I really like the Redding Competition Shell Holders for loading precision rifle ammo.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...ellholder-sets
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
    #RESIST

I let Black Hills handle my precision reloading needs. My OCD would be in constant conflict with practical me from start to finish. The battles would probably keep me awake at night.

Fact is, I know what it takes to develop truly superb accuracy from the whole package, and I'm just not willing to half ass any aspect of precision in the precision shooting equation. And I'm just not dedicated enough to put in the time necessary to maintain the shooting skills, let alone loading to such exacting standards. Black Hills can load ammo good enough for my new accuracy requirements of "good enough".

This being lazy/retired shit is pretty sweet!!!
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 09-04-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I let Black Hills handle my precision reloading needs. My OCD would be in constant conflict with practical me from start to finish. The battles would probably keep me awake at night.

Fact is, I know what it takes to develop truly superb accuracy from the whole package, and I'm just not willing to half ass any aspect of precision in the precision shooting equation. And I'm just not dedicated enough to put in the time necessary to maintain the shooting skills, let alone loading to such exacting standards. Black Hills can load ammo good enough for my new accuracy requirements of "good enough".

This being lazy/retired shit is pretty sweet!!!

"Posted from Sean's John Deere"
    #RESIST

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I just got done sorting 100 pieces Norma .300 winmag brass into .5gr lots.

Does that count? Lol (BTW they all fell into a 2gr spread with just a couple oddballs.)

User Tag List