Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my precision reloading setup, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

The goal here is to have just enough gear to work up good handholds for my Remington 700 AAC-SD 20" .308 for hunting in Wyoming. Precision rifle really isn't worth pursuing in my AO, but I would like to build up some excellent hunting ammo. I plan to throw short charges and trickle up to my chosen powder charge. No aftermarket trigger, crappy bipod, aftermarket B&C M40 stock, and an excellent scope (Leupold 3-18x H59 Mk6).
    When you get a chance, would you review the Worlds Cheapest Trimmer?

I'd still look at Lee's Quick trim deluxe. $28.00 for the trimmer and die and each additional die is only $8.00 and it chamfers and deburrs in the same operation as it trims.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 08-19-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    When you get a chance, would you review the Worlds Cheapest Trimmer?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/308-Win-Case...UAAOSwuAVW1Kev

Simple. Chuck into a portable drill. Confirm trim length setting and adjust as required. I do in the basement listening to the radio. One bucket of untrimmed brass, a box to catch the shavings, and another bucket for trimmed brass. Simple. I use the 308 trimmer for 260 also. I have multiple other more expensive 308 trimmers including the Dillon but this is the one I use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I'd still look at Lee's Quick trim deluxe. $28.00 for the trimmer and die and each additional die is only $8.00 and it chamfers and deburrs in the same operation as it trims.
    I have these for almost every rifle caliber - I greatly prefer the WCT. There are limited WCT available - I would the Lee for ones not covered by WCT.
    Last edited by ranger; 08-19-2017 at 08:42 AM.

I process most of my rifle brass in a progressive press so the Lee Quick Trim is tailor made for me.I find it to be very accurate and easily adjusted.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I found that it's likely to be a little cheaper to buy the standard Redding die set plus the accessory micrometer seating insert they sell, rather than buying the micrometer die to start with. One of the rare occasions where that kind of thinking seems to work.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Everyone has an opinion on how to make accurate ammo. Its like a couple of grandmas arguing a cornbread recipie. No winners. Only pursed lips.

Anyhow, to,add my .02....

One of the best investments I made when going down the road of accurate ammo (for my .308 initially) was the neck expander/uniformer die.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/GunTech/....htm?lid=14794

I spent a lot of time chasing vertical error until someone turned me onto this.

It doesnt take a lot of gizmos to make good ammo. It just takes good consistency.

Site Supporter
    Avoiding tradtional resize die with the neck expander button down near the decapping pin is essential. The button stretches the case neck as it's pulled back through. You can use the original size die but remove the decapping rod with expander and decap as a separate step. Using the suggested die from the above post is one good way to accomplish neck expansion without contributing run out. If your funds are limited, consider a Lee Deluxe Collet die set.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I process most of my rifle brass in a progressive press so the Lee Quick Trim is tailor made for me.I find it to be very accurate and easily adjusted.
    Do you have a separate head for case prep?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Thanks for this tip...

User Tag List