Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my precision reloading setup, thoughts?

Building my precision reloading setup, thoughts?

The goal here is to have just enough gear to work up good handholds for my Remington 700 AAC-SD 20" .308 for hunting in Wyoming. Precision rifle really isn't worth pursuing in my AO, but I would like to build up some excellent hunting ammo. I plan to throw short charges and trickle up to my chosen powder charge. No aftermarket trigger, crappy bipod, aftermarket B&C M40 stock, and an excellent scope (Leupold 3-18x H59 Mk6).
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I'd dump the Hornady and get the Frankfort Arsenal Trickler. I had the Hornady, and while it works, the FA is smoother, more stable, and has covers that allow you to leave powder in it without risk of spillage.

I'd be interested i hearing your review of the trimmer. I have a Lyman trimmer and use it with my cordless drill, but the World's Cheapest Trimmer is new to me.

I have an older version of the powder measure. It works. Not much else to say about it.

I use a digital scale instead of a beam. I got tired of using beam scales years ago.

ETA: Lee dies will produce sub-MOA ammo with good practices and save you a ton of money in the process. It doesn't sound like you're looking for competition-quality 1000yd loads, so something to consider...

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 08-18-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Already got everything in hand or en route.
    #RESIST

With a good OCW load, you can even use just the Lee measure. E.g. 175 SMK and 45 gr Varget is so robust to charge variation that I once loaded match ammo on a volumetric powder measure and had no issues.

If you only neck resize, you shouldn't have to trim very offer.

I have the same Rcbs Jr. and load all my precision ammo on it.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-18-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I am using several of the Worlds Cheapest Trimmers - they work really well and they are really cheap!

Spent some time today sorting my .308 brass, realized that I don't have a swaging solution for all of my Lake City .308 brass I found a decent amount of Hornady brass and I'm not done looking through my stuff yet. Got the Hornady stuff ran through the primer pocket uniformer and it's wet tumbling now.

Pretty pissed about having to buy another swager...
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I am using a Dillon 550 for my precision loads. Set up for large primer plus 308 sized cases and then I have a removable head for 308, 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 Grendel (large primer brass). I used a Hornady auto charge to weigh the charges and then I drop the weighed charges into the case. Slower than the Dillon powder drop.

I typically prep the brass in a single stage press then run the prepped brass through the 550 to seat the primer, load the powder, seat and crimp the bullet. I try my best to use commercial brass so I do not have mess with the primer pocket sizing. I throw all my mil 223 and 308 in separate buckets in case I just have to use mil brass.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Primer-P...SIN=B0063IDAX2

I did the "get close and trickle" deal for a long time with extruded powder, but used Lee powder scoops for the get close part. There are two other ways to skin that cat.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-98923-Co...+powder+master Great, but not so great if you're #poorfag

The other is to try W748 and see if it does what you want, then skip the whole trickling affair.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Don't know if you want it but I have the load data for Federals gov contact 175gr SMK.

ETA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 08-18-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

I like the 4064 but also have had great luck with BL-C(2) especially with those 175's. I've been able to source BL-C(2) locally on the regular for $18 a lb. In general it is usually cheaper than the IMR even when I've found IMR on sale.

User Tag List