Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Building my precision reloading setup, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Ah, copy. Maybe someday I will upgrade.
    I remember when you were trying to sell off the single stage press and I tried to talk you out of it, now you are talking upgrade
    A Rockchucker is something you can troll for and snag when opportunity presents. BTW, my press in the photo is probably almost as old as yours, I think Dad bought it when I was about 14yo.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I've tried Imperial Sizing Wax, Royal CaseLube, and homemade lanolin/pure alcohol case lube.
    It is probably just gonna take some ass, after all a 62,000psi explosion took place inside the case you are squeezing.

Maybe an interim plan could be to setup the 550 for sizing. You could de-prime in the first station with a Lee decapper, they are kinda cool, they have a collet and you can set it loose so it will slide if you get a Berdan or something. What I am doing for 223 is also use a carbide neck button in a subsequent die. This is handy if you stick one, because the top of the die is open and you can drop something in it to drive it out. But then you probably have the 550 setup to do something else and don't wanna tamper with it all the time, but this could be an option.

ETA: Not sure how MUCH leverage you gain, but your shoulder (is the right side the one with issues?) might appreciate it.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-17-2017 at 07:51 PM.

No, my gunshot arm can handle it fine, I was just concerned on whether or not I was doing it right. I gifted the 550 to my brother, I have a 650 now. I also gifted my RCBS Jr2 to this guy and he uses it for depriming and processing crimped 5.56
    #RESIST

Building my precision reloading setup, thoughts?

Dude, full length resizing .308 on the RCBS Jr.? Poor little guy.

I don't do much full length sizing but when I do, I use my buddy's Forster Coax. I only neck size my precision .308 and .260, so that's easy to do on the Jr.

Edit: just read that you're using a Dillon for sizing. Good idea.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-17-2017 at 09:40 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Edit: just read that you're using a Dillon for sizing. Good idea.
    Nah, that wuz my idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    A buddy married David's daughter.

I once made the mistake of letting him pull me into a reloading discussion.

I get dizzy even thinking about that conversation.

Dude has forgotten more about loading ammunition than most of us combined will ever know.

If I had a set up like the one he has in his shop, I'd never settle for anything less than 1/2 MOA.
    He is one of the nicest guys. Talked to him a few times at perry. One day winds were in the 20 mph range and I was a newer competitor he started conversation with going to be tough or there off hand. I responded with tough for you really fucking tough for some of us. His response. Line up the sights and pull the trigger they will be close enough we have all
    Been there.
    That made my day and week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After shooting fish with shotguns, and watching David slaying shit without even having to mount the shotgun, combined with the ballistic and reloading conversation + some time on the bench behind his long range rifle baboon hunting rifle I felt a little out my element.

Fortunately for me, he wanted to shoot the steel ranges at the facility with pistols, and gave me an opportunity for some redemption. I felt much better about myself, and my fragile ego, while scarred, at least healed a little bit after crushing him on every course of fire.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Everyone has an opinion on how to make accurate ammo. Its like a couple of grandmas arguing a cornbread recipie. No winners. Only pursed lips.

Anyhow, to,add my .02....

One of the best investments I made when going down the road of accurate ammo (for my .308 initially) was the neck expander/uniformer die.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/GunTech/....htm?lid=14794

I spent a lot of time chasing vertical error until someone turned me onto this.

It doesnt take a lot of gizmos to make good ammo. It just takes good consistency.

Thanks for this..I recently set up my 650 with a Dillon size/trim die, for .223 it works quite well holding about -.000 +.002 tolerence. With the casefeeder running, one can size and trim a bunch of cases, like right now. I've got the sizing die set up on station #3 and the die used for neck expansion set up on station #5, to clear the electric motor. The problem with the size/trim die is you need a way to expand the neck after sizing. I've been using a older .223 size die that I adjusted up a bit so that all I was doing was expanding the neck.. it works, but this looks so much better.. I'll probably buy one of these soon. I like this idea alot.. Thanks

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Thanks for this..I recently set up my 650 with a Dillon size/trim die, for .223 it works quite well holding about -.000 +.002 tolerence. With the casefeeder running, one can size and trim a bunch of cases, like right now. I've got the sizing die set up on station #3 and the die used for neck expansion set up on station #5, to clear the electric motor. The problem with the size/trim die is you need a way to expand the neck after sizing. I've been using a older .223 size die that I adjusted up a bit so that all I was doing was expanding the neck.. it works, but this looks so much better.. I'll probably buy one of these soon. I like this idea alot.. Thanks
    You bet. I've become a firm believer in it. I was struggling one day shooting brand new Lapua brass at 600yd steel. Known good load, windage spot on. I was actually taking chunks out of the t-post. My buddy suspected bad neck tension and got me hooked up with the die. Now I use it on new brass right out of the box to take care of any issues. I also will run it thru after I bump the shoulder to assure inside neck uniformity. After you use it a bit and get familiar to the feel, it all makes sense and you wonder why its not more commonly used.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    You bet. I've become a firm believer in it. I was struggling one day shooting brand new Lapua brass at 600yd steel. Known good load, windage spot on. I was actually taking chunks out of the t-post. My buddy suspected bad neck tension and got me hooked up with the die. Now I use it on new brass right out of the box to take care of any issues. I also will run it thru after I bump the shoulder to assure inside neck uniformity. After you use it a bit and get familiar to the feel, it all makes sense and you wonder why its not more commonly used.
    Do you need to lube the inside neck of the case to use this die, or can you run them through dry? I don't seen to have a problem with cases stretching, as the OAL's show, but I am using mixed brass, both L.C. and commerical of all kinds, At a minium, I think this will at least make things more consistant.
    Last edited by ralph; 09-27-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Lube. Although I have run it dry too. Its the only time I use spray lube. I stack the new cases up and hit the necks with a short blast. Plenty good enough. There is usually enough lube left after bumping the necks to keep it running smooth when I run them thru after sizing. Any lube gets cleaned off when I media tumble right before priming. Its just a simple tapered mandrel. Nothing wiz-bang. The price is right too. For me, I'd say its one of the best investments accuracy-wise I've made. Right up there with my Forster neck bump bushing die.

I freely admit Im a bit anal with brass... But I now run new brass thru the bump die (it doesnt move the neck back but the collet squeezes the diameter down to a consistant size.). I then follow up with thr inside neck uniformer. My world is a happy place then!

User Tag List