Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for a future soldier

Life is going to suck for a little bit, your gonna wonder what the fuck you did leaving a good job where people respected you, and then everything kind of goes back to normal. Enjoy it as much as you can because it'll be something you look back on fondly years down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Yes, I recall you kindly reaching out after some unpleasantness overseas. How does one go about taking that test? Can I take it before leaving, or is it usually done after training?
    Not sure what other languages you speak or if your secondary meets, "critical language skill." My guess is that the primaries are dialects of Arabic and Russian right now. Might be 15-20 others. I think there is a list. I honestly can't tell you if you can do this prior to having finished basic. It would be a solid question for your recruiter though he may bullshit you because he doesn't feel like doing the requisite home work and paperwork so keep that in mind. You could do some googling for the regs. I would help you more but I've hit the Ricard hard before dinner and Wine after that so I don't want to misinform. I will see what I can find tomorrow when I am complete sober.

Run. Pack snacks if possible. Hit the can at every opportunity. As much as the military takes care out you, no one takes care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Run a lot. Stretch even more. Tearing a groin muscle or the like sucks, and it sucks even more in basic.

Remember it's all a mind game. Shut up. Nobody cares who you were before you were a recruit, nobody gives a shit what you've done, nobody gives a shit what you think. Your goal is to be invisible to the drills. I would not mention I was LE. If directly asked I would say I was a fry cook prior to the military. Seriously. I would not tell my fellow recruits and I damn sure wouldn't let a DI know I held some position of authority outside the military. You are there to do exactly as you are told, to perform under stress, and that's it.

(Note it's been a bit over 20 years since I attended basic, but I doubt it's changed THAT much)
    Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Life is going to suck for a little bit, your gonna wonder what the fuck you did leaving a good job where people respected you, and then everything kind of goes back to normal. Enjoy it as much as you can because it'll be something you look back on fondly years down the line.
    I think you nailed it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Not sure what other languages you speak or if your secondary meets, "critical language skill." My guess is that the primaries are dialects of Arabic and Russian right now. Might be 15-20 others. I think there is a list. I honestly can't tell you if you can do this prior to having finished basic. It would be a solid question for your recruiter though he may bullshit you because he doesn't feel like doing the requisite home work and paperwork so keep that in mind. You could do some googling for the regs. I would help you more but I've hit the Ricard hard before dinner and Wine after that so I don't want to misinform. I will see what I can find tomorrow when I am complete sober.
    Thanks a lot man. I will look into it.

The advice that was given to me before I went to boot: Do exactly what you're told. Do it quickly. Don't volunteer for anything.

To which I'll add: Take advantage of every opportunity to shit that you can. Otherwise you'll be holding it in for days and your poops will have the density of neutron stars when they finally come out.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    The advice that was given to me before I went to boot: Do exactly what you're told. Do it quickly. Don't volunteer for anything.

To which I'll add: Take advantage of every opportunity to shit that you can. Otherwise you'll be holding it in for days and your poops will have the density of neutron stars when they finally come out.
    I physically couldn't shit for the first week of bootcamp. Thought there was something wrong with me until I asked everyone else. None of us could take a dump, our body just wouldn't let us. Scary times..
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-17-2017 at 11:13 PM.

I remember distinctly going 12 days without in boot :x

It's hard to stay regular in the field too. I know it sounds like a joke of a thing to talk about but it's right up there with changing your socks (there's another one, OP. CHANGE YOUR SOCKS.) and having boots that fit.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Yes, I recall you kindly reaching out after some unpleasantness overseas. How does one go about taking that test? Can I take it before leaving, or is it usually done after training?
    You don't usually qualify for FLPP until after ait.

User Tag List