Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for a future soldier

Site Supporter

Advice for a future soldier

What advice would you give someone waiting to ship out for basic training (and then heading to WOCS and flight school)?

I'm a patrol sergeant in a small New England police department. Serving in the military has been a goal of mine for years (I'm in my mid twenties), and I recently went through the US Army Warrant Officer Flight Training selection process. As I see it, being a military pilot will allow me not only to serve in the armed forces, but also learn an additional marketable skill. I've been selected, and I will leave for basic in about five months. I will be serving on active duty, and I plan on returning to law enforcement (ideally in a federal 1811 or 2501 capacity) when I leave the Army.

Two goals I have for my time in the military are to earn a master's degree and save as much money as I reasonably can.

I know there are a lot of current and former service members on p-f, as well as some pilots and some federal LEOs with prior military experience. What say you all?
    Last edited by Le Français; 08-17-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Start running.

In all seriousness, no one sees how many push ups you did at morning PT. Everyone sees who falls out of unit runs.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Start running.

In all seriousness, no one sees how many push ups you did at morning PT. Everyone sees who falls out of unit runs.
    Good advice. By the way, I just took the Army's new "occupational" pt test (long jump, medicine ball throw, deadlift, and shuttle run). I think it's interesting that they're adding that to the mix (the APFT is still used, of course).

Not a pilot, former DS though, get a solid run time before you leave. P/U, S/U and Pull ups are good. APFT score matters even though its a poor test of overall fitness. You will not run near enough now a days because we broke too many fat kids, the better off you are physically the less out of shape you will be when you get to doing shit that matters. Walk, condition your feet, preferably in an issued boot. Keep your A/O clean and your mouth shut. If you don't know how to land nav get with someone who does, it won't matter much in basic but will sure as shit help you later. All time hacks for the first 3 weeks will seem impossible they aren't, depending how much your platoon gets their shit together you can move up or down the ladder of control. Make sure the Army doesn't get you into a bullshit college, there is a big fucking difference between a National and Regionally accredited college even though Uncle Sugar doesn't give a shit or at least didn't.

edited to add: learn to climb a rope proper, you sure as shit don't want to fall off one on the PT field and shatter your hip. I saw it on the hill at Benning and at SFAS it would suck to kill an opportunity to FLY and ruin chances with FED LE later.
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-17-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Good advice. By the way, I just took the Army's new "occupational" pt test (long jump, medicine ball throw, deadlift, and shuttle run). I think it's interesting that they're adding that to the mix (the APFT is still used, of course).
    Some variation of that seems to come and go over the years. USMA and ROTC used to have a similar applicant PT test that consisted of a kneeling basketball throw, standing broad jump, pull ups, and shuttle run. No idea what they use today.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Thanks, Mike C. I'm thinking of going through an online master's program due to the convenience and comparative affordability, but I'll be sure to pick a regionally accredited school.

Thanks, Mike C. I'm thinking of going through an online master's program due to the convenience and comparative affordability, but I'll be sure to pick a regionally accredited school.

Now that I am thinking about it. I believe we've spoken in the past, if you are a native speaker you should take the DLPT for FLPP, foreign language proficiency pay or some such. Extra pay on top of flight pay or jump pay will add up. I wish you the best man. If you have any specific questions about the format, schedule etc. hit me up with a PM I might still have some friends around, they bumped drill pay up some time ago for people willing to stay or come back to instruct.
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-17-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    What advice would you give someone waiting to ship out for basic training (and then heading to WOCS and flight school)?
    Run a lot. Stretch even more. Tearing a groin muscle or the like sucks, and it sucks even more in basic.

Remember it's all a mind game. Shut up. Nobody cares who you were before you were a recruit, nobody gives a shit what you've done, nobody gives a shit what you think. Your goal is to be invisible to the drills. I would not mention I was LE. If directly asked I would say I was a fry cook prior to the military. Seriously. I would not tell my fellow recruits and I damn sure wouldn't let a DI know I held some position of authority outside the military. You are there to do exactly as you are told, to perform under stress, and that's it.

(Note it's been a bit over 20 years since I attended basic, but I doubt it's changed THAT much)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Now that I am thinking about it. I believe we've spoken in the past, if you are a native speaker you should take the DLPT for FLPP, foreign language proficiency pay or some such. Extra pay on top of flight pay or jump pay will add up. I wish you the best man. If you have any specific questions about the format, schedule etc. hit me up with a PM I might still have some friends around, they bumped drill pay up some time ago for people willing to stay or come back to instruct.
    Yes, I recall you kindly reaching out after some unpleasantness overseas. How does one go about taking that test? Can I take it before leaving, or is it usually done after training?

Do what you're told instantly. Keep your mouth shut. Don't get hurt, and don't stand out. If you walk across the stage and the cadre look around at each other and say, "Who the fuck is that?", then you did it right.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List