Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Advanced DA/SA Technique for striker-fired shooters

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    More progress today. At least in freestyle shooting, the DA pull is not holding me back. I was able to clock some 0.62s - 0.64s draws to an A at 7 yds, and shot a 98% El Pres without much difficulty.

However, I'm still yanking DA shots SHO and WHO. Its not just trigger mechanics. I'm seeing an occasional pre-ignition push emerge that I haven't dealt with in years.

Rx: more dryfire.
    Something to consider working SHO and WHO is to shoot some drills intentionally varying the speed of the DA press. I like to raise the gun up from a low ready and press, working towards breaking the DA shot as the sights align. Shoot 5 at one speed, one DA press at a time. Then increase the speed of both snapping the gun up and the trigger press.

It's common for new TDA shooters to slow down the speed of their press when shooting with a single hand. I've caught myself doing the same. When I start slowing the press down, I reach a point where I tend to anticipate more. I "think" its because I start inserting my conscious brain in the process to shift gears to a slower press. Thinking about the trigger press is almost always a bad idea.

This drill works well with two hands also. Its a pretty way to find just how fast you can manipulate the DA trigger and still get acceptable hits.

Thanks LSP552. That makes excellent sense. Will do.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Something to consider working SHO and WHO is to shoot some drills intentionally varying the speed of the DA press. I like to raise the gun up from a low ready and press, working towards breaking the DA shot as the sights align. Shoot 5 at one speed, one DA press at a time. Then increase the speed of both snapping the gun up and the trigger press.

It's common for new TDA shooters to slow down the speed of their press when shooting with a single hand. I've caught myself doing the same. When I start slowing the press down, I reach a point where I tend to anticipate more. I "think" its because I start inserting my conscious brain in the process to shift gears to a slower press. Thinking about the trigger press is almost always a bad idea.

This drill works well with two hands also. Its a pretty way to find just how fast you can manipulate the DA trigger and still get acceptable hits.
    I've found that this is the case regardless of trigger system as I've done it with Glocks and other SFA pistols plenty of times. It's definitely the conscious thought part and not "it's that DA trigger press" part. The biggest problem I have with shooting is removing the conscious thought from the act of pressing the trigger. Too much OCD on wanting the prefect shot every single press.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post

When I start slowing the press down, I reach a point where I tend to anticipate more. I "think" its because I start inserting my conscious brain in the process to shift gears to a slower press. Thinking about the trigger press is almost always a bad idea.

This is exactly what I was talking about when I said "just ignore the DA". Of course there is a learning curve and it is going to take some time but the approach is this - See the sights, pull the trigger, ignore the DA
    Last edited by cheby; 08-30-2017 at 10:59 AM.

User Tag List