Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanced DA/SA Technique for striker-fired shooters

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...remember the hammer has to go all the way down, and not stop at half cock or you will be bumped to Open.
    That's bizarre
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Yeah, George is spot on here. Read what he posted closely and execute.

At the end of the day, if you hold the sights on the target and don't move them when you press the trigger, you are good to go. The dirty little secret, that works with any kind of gun.

And finally, when it comes to the Nationals I will give you two main thoughts.

One, Be Brutally Accurate!
    Two, Don't Shoot Scared!
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

You definitely picked a hell of a gun! The Shadow 2 is an animal for Production...seriously. Love mine. Swap in a 13# hammer spring and a 11.5# recoil spring. That'll give you a DA of under 8 pounds...with no polishing or anything else. Full reliability. The 11.5# will aid in sight tracking even though that beast of a gun doesn't need too much help.

Stroke through the DA press in one continuous motion. I typically start pressing the shot about halfway through my draw stroke when I'm pressing the gun out towards the target. YMMV.

Also paging @Les Pepperoni for any more advice he can give. Work your reloads and manipulation as the control locations are different than your 320. I don't think you'll have much issue adapting though.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 08-17-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    You definitely picked a hell of a gun! The Shadow 2 is an animal for Production...seriously. Love mine. Swap in a 13# hammer spring and a 11.5# recoil spring. That'll give you a DA of under 8 pounds...with no polishing or anything else. Full reliability. The 11.5# will aid in sight tracking even though that beast of a gun doesn't need too much help.

Stroke through the DA press in one continuous motion. I typically start pressing the shot about halfway through my draw stroke when I'm pressing the gun out towards the target. YMMV.

Also paging @Les Pepperoni for any more advice he can give. Work your reloads and manipulation as the control locations are different than your 320. I don't think you'll have much issue adapting though.
    Thanks. Cheby helped me out with the mods similar to what you suggested:
    11.5# Hammer spring
    11# Recoil spring
    Reduced power firing pin spring
    Extended firing pin

I'll also be adding a reduced power trigger return spring and floating trigger pin.

I'm trying these Copper Gun Lava grips as well, because I have gotten used to the totally awesome Alma Cole grip on my 320.

You're absolutely right about the controls. My 320 with a small grip allowed me to reload, and if needed, hit the slide release without altering my grip. The Shadow 2 fits my hand well with slim grips--although the reach for double action is a stretch. However, I have to "flip" the gun a bit to reach the mag and slide releases. I believe Ben Stoeger also "flips" his grip on reloads, so I figure it's not a deal breaker.

I experimented with starting the trigger press earlier in the presentation (with gun aimed downrange of course). So far, I do not like it. I had a feeling of tension in my strong hand from trying to slow the trigger pull, and then ended up yanking a bunch of shots when I speeded up to complete the trigger pull. I'm not sure I can explain it better than this.

It's likely that the "slower, earlier press" you describe is so foreign to me that I can't do it well.

So far, my best results have come from gripping the F out of the gun with my left hand and pressing the trigger rapidly as I clean up my sight picture near the end of the draw, as with a striker gun.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Even though I've been shooting TDA guns pretty exclusively for the last year and a half...I still have a tendency to start the press way late in the presentation as I'm cleaning up my sight picture. It's a little slower than having the gun go "boom" as soon as it hits extension, but that technique is only good if the bullet goes where you want it!

I wouldn't fret too much about the first DA shot. Do a bunch of DA/SA transitions from the holster. Hidden side benefit of that is it will also help you get comfortable lowering the hammer from SA to DA. I usually pinch the hammer with my support hand thumb and index finger and slowly lower it down, but I've seen lots of people do the "thumb roll" at matches too.

This is me shooting my Shadow 2 at a local match a few months back. Notice the slight pause as the gun hits extension before I fire. I'm aware of it and while I theoretically should start my DA press earlier, it is what it is. I'll live with it.

Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    At your level, I would disregard about everything that has been written for new shooters learning DA/SA, and just press the trigger (DA and SA) without disturbing the sights off the target you are shooting at. It really is that simple.

For gaming, focus on the SA in your practice, because that is how the vast majority of shots are fired. Too many people spend a disportionate amount of practice on DA.

The big gotcha for the Shadow is figure out how to safely lower the hammer at make ready, so you don't make a loud noise and have to go home early. I would dry fire practice that until it is automatic, and remember the hammer has to go all the way down, and not stop at half cock or you will be bumped to Open.
    Or dq if you holster it like that!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Biggest issue I had was breaking the first SA shot to early during the gun coming down after the first DA. It goes awayy pretty quick. Work SHO and WHO. That is all, shoot the shit out of it, 1 month to transition is going to a challenge.

Even though I've been shooting TDA guns pretty exclusively for the last year and a half...I still have a tendency to start the press way late in the presentation as I'm cleaning up my sight picture. It's a little slower than having the gun go "boom" as soon as it hits extension, but that technique is only good if the bullet goes where you want it!

I wouldn't fret too much about the first DA shot. Do a bunch of DA/SA transitions from the holster. Hidden side benefit of that is it will also help you get comfortable lowering the hammer from SA to DA. I usually pinch the hammer with my support hand thumb and index finger and slowly lower it down, but I've seen lots of people do the "thumb roll" at matches too.

This is me shooting my Shadow 2 at a local match a few months back. Notice the slight pause as the gun hits extension before I fire. I'm aware of it and while I theoretically should start my DA press earlier, it is what it is. I'll live with it.

Gun doesnt move at all! Im picking up a used Stock 2 for trial, anxious to see what effect that extra weight has on muzzle rise vs my Brig Tac

Quote Originally Posted by Bummy425 View Post
    Gun doesnt move at all! Im picking up a used Stock 2 for trial, anxious to see what effect that extra weight has on muzzle rise vs my Brig Tac

The Brig Tac is an awesome gun...but the Shadow 2 is in a different class. Pure race gun. CZ built this one right.
    Shoot more, post less...

The Brig Tac is an awesome gun...but the Shadow 2 is in a different class. Pure race gun. CZ built this one right.
    Thats kinda what I am expecting from the Stock 2...there is a reason they are so hard to find...

User Tag List