Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanced DA/SA Technique for striker-fired shooters

Advanced DA/SA Technique for striker-fired shooters

I am hoping this thread will help me and other shooters who have more experience with striker-fired guns get the most out of their DA/SA guns.

Here's my story: I'm hoping for advice and links to resources about learning to shoot a double-action gun (e.g. CZ) at the highest level. Because the Sig p320 can fire if dropped, I have recently switched to a CZ Shadow 2 for USPSA competition, and have only a month to learn how to shoot this gun before I go up against other M class shooters at Production Nationals.

One good article to start this off with is Ernest Langdon's Fear Not the Double-Action Shot.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Paging @Dagga Boy and @LangdonTactical

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

At your level, I would disregard about everything that has been written for new shooters learning DA/SA, and just press the trigger (DA and SA) without disturbing the sights off the target you are shooting at. It really is that simple.

For gaming, focus on the SA in your practice, because that is how the vast majority of shots are fired. Too many people spend a disportionate amount of practice on DA.

The big gotcha for the Shadow is figure out how to safely lower the hammer at make ready, so you don't make a loud noise and have to go home early. I would dry fire practice that until it is automatic, and remember the hammer has to go all the way down, and not stop at half cock or you will be bumped to Open.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Pull the trigger just like single action... As quickly as you can move the trigger straight to the rear and hold the sights on target..

Don't think about it too much.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    At your level, I would disregard about everything that has been written for new shooters learning DA/SA, and just press the trigger (DA and SA) without disturbing the sights off the target you are shooting at. It really is that simple.

For gaming, focus on the SA in your practice, because that is how the vast majority of shots are fired. Too many people spend a disportionate amount of practice on DA.

The big gotcha for the Shadow is figure out how to safely lower the hammer at make ready, so you don't make a loud noise and have to go home early. I would dry fire practice that until it is automatic, and remember the hammer has to go all the way down, and not stop at half cock or you will be bumped to Open.
    Thanks George. Great advice. One thing I've been working on is the DA pull from the draw. (Just like with a striker fired gun) unless the target is very difficult, I am trying to commit to the shot during the final stage of the presentation, as I refine the alignment of the sights. The timing of this is tough with the long DA pull! I think--as Dr. No suggests--I need to pull the trigger faster than I would typically pull a striker-fired trigger.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-17-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Two things:

On the DA trigger from the draw, the two schools of thought seem to be present/pause or do a more conventional press out, working the trigger all the way out. Something Ernest taught me, was a hybrid, where you present, but do a mini-compressed press out the very last bit of the presentation, which seems to be faster and give more of a surprise break. I do this with DA/SA, LEM and striker. Turns out my wife and Gabe came to the same process on their own.

The biggest thing I notice going between the Shadow and polymer is not the trigger -- it is the weight difference of the whole pistol. I transition faster with the lighter pistol, but split faster with the heavy gun. Enough of a difference, you can easily hear it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Following.

Site Supporter
    Also following. I love my Berettas, but swapping to them from Glock had been a bit tricky.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    and @Wayne Dobbs and @OPSPEC
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Pull the trigger just like single action... As quickly as you can move the trigger straight to the rear and hold the sights on target..
    FWIW, I'm nowhere in the same league as you or either of these guys, but agree.
    David S.

User Tag List