Thread: Upgrading Extractor Colt Competition 9mm

Upgrading Extractor Colt Competition 9mm

I recently acquired a stainless Colt Competition 9mm. Based on reports at the 1911 forum I went into this knowing that the extractor could be a problem and that does seem to be the case--one FTE in the first 200 rounds, but four in the next 100. I'm also getting plonked by empties three or four times a session. Ammo is American Eagle and PRVI Partisan, both in 124 grain. I'm still just using the factory mags.

Any suggestions? It sounds like the Colt extractors are leaving the factory with little tension but it also sounds like the length of extractor may not be ideal for the 9mm cartridge. Should I just tweak the tension first or am I better off replacing with something like the Wilson Bulletproof extractor?

As an aside, the gun is a joy to shoot. This 9mm 1911 thing could be dangerous to my wallet and the rest of my safe.

Site Supporter
    Tweak the extractor. Tense it up some because almost every factory 1911 I've seen has too little tension. If you want to get really deep into it, you can make sure it has correct geometry and deflection and whatnot, but that's usually for if you start to experience lots of FTFs. I'd grab a set of Weigand tension gauges and a trigger pull gauge and you'll be good enough for government work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List