Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muffs and Hats

Site Supporter
    Indoor shooting, still wear a hat. Casings can bounce off the side partitions and into your face. Or hit the top of your head. Now, I don't have that much hair and the hat helps. I guess you can get the weird angle with the brim but I've been whacked in the forehead with a 50 AE casing that bounced off a partition. That was an OUCH! No hat then.

Site Supporter
    Dad got a piece of brass stuck between glasses frame and eyelid. Ever after, he insists that everyone shooting with him wears both glasses and hat.

Slangvel Rhodesian

http://instagram.com/p/BVAF2fUD8fn/

Ear and eye pro compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    I've been hit in the face a few times and been burned by a case going down the back of my collar. Not pleasant, but it doesn't phase me too much. It does serve to illustrate why good eye protection is essential.

Getting a case stuck between the glasses frame and skin is a new one on me. I can see how that might lead to regular hat-wearing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Slangvel Rhodesian

http://instagram.com/p/BVAF2fUD8fn/

Ear and eye pro compatible.
    Is that a sun flap in the back there?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Okay wait, never mind. I was trying it with the wrong hats. I have several that come down too far and cause a problem, but I found a cap that does not interfere with the muffs at all.

Now I feel dumb. But thanks for all the suggestions.

I like the idea of the bands that fit behind the head, but I've recently made an investment in some good over-the-head style electronic muffs and don't want to invest in another set at this point.
    Git you some gel cups like the Sordins or Impact Sports have.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Git you some gel cups like the Sordins or Impact Sports have.
    My Peltors do have gel cups installed. Great for sealing around shooting glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Is that a sun flap in the back there?

Yep. Folds up and buttons.

http://instagram.com/p/BWNMIFiD04o/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

To add another data point. I usually don't wear a hat while shooting as I almost never wear a hat in daily activities. However I always have one available in my shooting gear and wear a hat when taking classes as I am often in closer proximity with no barrier between me and other shooters so get more brass ejected towards me. I use a hat style similar to what Hizzie posted but with a shorter brim. Basically the older US Army garrison style cap but without the inside flaps to keep the headband area thinner, no button on top and fitted non adjustable type. This works for sun and brass protection, is light,cool and comfortable and cheap. It also has no effect on plugs or muffs or eye protection. My regular eye protection fits against my forehead to the point I sometimes get fogging or sweat directed to run on the inside of the lenses. I have to move them away from my forehead slightly to help these issues but it prevents any brass getting between the glasses and my eyes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    To add another data point. I usually don't wear a hat while shooting as I almost never wear a hat in daily activities. However I always have one available in my shooting gear and wear a hat when taking classes as I am often in closer proximity with no barrier between me and other shooters so get more brass ejected towards me. I use a hat style similar to what Hizzie posted but with a shorter brim. Basically the older US Army garrison style cap but without the inside flaps to keep the headband area thinner, no button on top and fitted non adjustable type. This works for sun and brass protection, is light,cool and comfortable and cheap. It also has no effect on plugs or muffs or eye protection. My regular eye protection fits against my forehead to the point I sometimes get fogging or sweat directed to run on the inside of the lenses. I have to move them away from my forehead slightly to help these issues but it prevents any brass getting between the glasses and my eyes.
    Do you have a source for such that you can share?

User Tag List