Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Muffs and Hats

Site Supporter
    In my Put In Bay cap I will be as Operator as f... well, no. No I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    FWIW I had hot brass get between my brim and sunglasses once. Since then I've not work a hat. Not for safety, or assumed safety, just because I don't wear them any other time either.
    1973, had round # 300 or so from a 1911 lodge behind my glasses on my right upper eyelid. Kept 1911 down range and removed glasses and case at speed ! A ball cap would have prevented this probably.

I have read that a hat prevents some sound from being transmitted as much through the bones of the head.

I have lots of BB hats and the Nike featherweight hat is my favorite. I use these to run in as well as for shooting. They are light, comfortable to wear, dry fast, and have no button on the top. When they get dirty they wash easily in the sink with Dawn dishwashing detergent and come out looking good as new.

http://https://m.dickssportinggoods....fthrlghtcpxcps

FirstSpear Foraging Cap, low profile, is the most hearing protection compatible cap I have ever worn. (Not that I have any problems using a regular "tactical" baseball cap, either. Probably wouldn't have any problems with a regular baseball cap, period, but I don't own any of those. )

Might be a tad operatorish to some of you, perhaps? But personally, I don't care.

I shoot a lot on indoor ranges. I have seen brass bounce off the wall and end up behind eye pro on several occasions. I've also seen spall from steel targets come back and slice guys - in particular one hatless AI at a vehicle class who got cut across the forehead and ended up with a trip to a local hospital. I consider a hat part of my safety gear and wear one with eye pro habitually. As stated elsewhere in this thread, the solution to the little button on top of baseball hats are pliers, though some ear pro like the new Peltor Tactical 300 and 500 have headbands with a split designed to accommodate the button.

Usually I'm wearing a ball cap from my favorite hockey team.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-18-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List