Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muffs and Hats

Site Supporter

Muffs and Hats

Okay I need some suggestions. I don't normally wear a hat when shooting, but I want to wear one for an upcoming shooting class. Other than the brimmed Australian ear muff hats, what type of hat can be worn that does not interfere with getting a good seal with ear muffs? I would probably just wear a ball cap, but I can't see how it won't prevent a good seal with the muffs.

If you have a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

I always wear a ball cap, always. I use muffs with gel cup seals and it works well

I can't see how a ball cap would prevent a seal with ear muffs. Everyone and their dog is wearing a ball cap with muffs with no issues I've ever seen... What problem are you foreseeing?

The only "problem" with ball caps might be the button on top but I don't think that's really that big of a deal.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    The only "problem" with ball caps might be the button on top but I don't think that's really that big of a deal.
    The button is easy to remove. Take a set of side cut pliers and insert between the hat and the button and squeeze slowly. The button pulls up away from the hat and usually only leaves a very small mark. This is standard procedure for all my ball caps.

To the OP. There are ear muffs that the clamp goes behind the head rather than over.

Site Supporter
    If the sides of the cap extend down to the top of the ear, how can a good seal be attained? Is there not a gap caused by the hat material? I can only I assume I am missing something obvious.

Some kind of headgear is important....it'll likely prevent hot brass from hitting your forehead and ending up behind your safety glasses. Been there, done that.

Ball caps are an extremely practical solution....but if you wanted to wear a broad brimmed hat you could use the muffs like these:

Name:  3mtm-peltortm-soundtraptm-slimline-earmuff-tactical-electronic-headset-mt15h67bb-neckband-1-ea-c.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  14.8 KB
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    I wear a Columbia ball cap that has a back flap and a good SPF rating. I can still get a good seal on my muffs. The back flap is keep the TX inferno from frying the back of my neck. It also keeps a round from flipping down your back. I've seen that dance. Ouch. As an aside, I've switched to long sleeve Columbia hot weather shirts to keep the sun off my arms. I've done the skin cancer thing and would like to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Some kind of headgear is important....it'll likely prevent hot brass from hitting your forehead and ending up behind your safety glasses. Been there, done that.
    FWIW I had hot brass get between my brim and sunglasses once. Since then I've not work a hat. Not for safety, or assumed safety, just because I don't wear them any other time either.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Okay wait, never mind. I was trying it with the wrong hats. I have several that come down too far and cause a problem, but I found a cap that does not interfere with the muffs at all.

Now I feel dumb. But thanks for all the suggestions.

I like the idea of the bands that fit behind the head, but I've recently made an investment in some good over-the-head style electronic muffs and don't want to invest in another set at this point.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    FWIW I had hot brass get between my brim and sunglasses once. Since then I've not work a hat. Not for safety, or assumed safety, just because I don't wear them any other time either.
    I'm thinking a brimmed cap is a good idea for the Georgia sun.

All the other defensive pistol classes I've taken have been indoors so it hasn't been an issue.
    Last edited by Robinson; 08-17-2017 at 09:54 AM.

User Tag List