Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Range Session Fatigue (Due to Repetitive Concussion?)

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Someone once told me that one of the reasons children learn quickly is that they are honest with themselves i.e. they sleep when their body tells them they are tired, eat when hungry and stop doing something if it hurts.
    I wish I had children like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    I recently just experienced this myself for the first time (that I'm aware of). Went out and did several drills that required a lot of concentration, and on my drive home from the range I made a conscious effort to drink more water and even still after my 50 minute ride home I was exhausted. I was out in the sun, being sure to hydrate but I had to take a 20 minute nap when I got home.

It's at times like this I wonder if the cooling sleeve technology that a few have spoken about (I.E. Qore etc) would be beneficial to helping regulate the body temperature.

I've taken a few 2 day courses in the last few years and have noticed on occasion that I've been prone to getting migraines as the night progresses when I get home. I wonder if there's some correlation between all of it.
    https://www.amazon.com/SaltStick-Ele...ords=saltstick
    https://www.amazon.com/SaltStick-D01...tick+dispenser

It wouldn't hurt to get some electrolytes down too. I like Saltstick pills, and for shooting you'll also need to buy the salt stick dispenser. The lead on your fingers will never become an essential nutrient, so the dispenser will let you pop pills without touching them. The magnesium and calcium components of most electrolytes pills is basically chalk and it'll stick to inside of your water bottle if you try to dissolve them (and why most powdered products don't have either).
    Last edited by txdpd; 08-20-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I wish I had children like that.

https://www.amazon.com/SaltStick-Ele...ords=saltstick
    https://www.amazon.com/SaltStick-D01...tick+dispenser

It wouldn't hurt to get some electrolytes down too. I like Saltstick pills, and for shooting you'll also need to buy the salt stick dispenser. The lead on your fingers will never become an essential nutrient, so the dispenser will let you pop pills without touching them. The magnesium and calcium components of most electrolytes pills is basically chalk and it'll stick to inside of your water bottle if you try to dissolve them (and why most powdered products don't have either).
    Awesome thank you. I'd really like to alleviate these headaches after being in the sun, working hard or shooting for long durations etc and this seems like an option that may work!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

There was a conversation a while back about using coconut water as a natural substitute for sports drinks. I have hypertension and have to avoid salt so I picked up the brand with the lowest sodium to try and whether it is real or some kind of psychological thing it really seems to help. I gave some to a shooting buddy who was having really bad cramps and he concurred in its having a positive effect.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Never noticed a difference between days spent on the range, and days spent doing other activities.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

My experience when dealing with the following cumulative factors:
    * post concussion after effects I'm still dealing with 2 years on from event
    * ancient indoor 8 lane 25 yard firing range club
    * shooting with other members, some of which with big boomer blasters (up to the limits of the range, which excludes anything magnum class, over 1300fps, and over 500ft-lb energy level.)

I generally shoot ammo of calibers above .22lr that is subsonic as much as possible, as it reduces the concussive fatigue effect, especially when having to shoot from the 25 yard position with other members. given the layout of the range shooting from the top results in a tremendous amount of additional concussive force, versus shooting at the 10 meter line, which I prefer. Note we move the line and not the targets, as the stands are fixed. Like I said, ancient range/club. The other day I shot 275 rounds of 9mm (all subsonic) and 550 rounds of .22lr (all supersonic) at a distance of 10 meters and felt no ill effects. I've been on the range and barely been able to shoot 50 rounds, or even stay on the line, if we're at the 25 yard position, and people are shooting bigger or faster rounds.

Such is my experience and data point. YMMV. IANAL. No Holiday Inns for me ever.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Ran another range session today. Roughly 2.5 hours out in the sun and 400 rounds. Was sure to hydrate as usual but took the salt stick pills as indicated on the label, could feel the headache beginning halfway through the session but 10 mins after the saltstick it began to fade and finally disappear. For me at least, they seem to help with the fatigue level as I got home and didn't feel the need to nap.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Electrolytes

I have sometimes trained in really hot weather, outside or in gyms without air conditioning and I find that electrolyte replacement is essential. Pedialyte is a great choice in a pinch, though it's costly. The good alternative to Pedialyte is to make your own electrolyte solution at home with water, sugar, salt, and potassium chloride. You can get potassium chloride at the grocery store, it's sold as "salt substitute." For sugar, I like to use some kind of brown/raw sugar.

There's a good recipe midway down this page:
    http://www.chefinresidency.com/2012/...-hydrated.html

I've experienced this myself. I have a tendency to focus on things in extreme detail, particularly if performing drills, which can be extremely exhausting. I suspect there is a correlation to the stress that is induced on the central nervous system through weight training. In effect, it's not necessarily just a physical stress, but a neurological one as well. I would bet they even share similar pathways and characteristics...

An analogy might be this. We've all had relaxed range days blowing off a few hundred rounds for entertainment like it was nothing. I'm sure many of us have also run drills as low as 50 rounds that have mentally taxed us to the limit.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Somewhat, but like others have noted it depends on the degree to which I am concentrating. Definitely not quite as bad as after I finished Step 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Never noticed a difference between days spent on the range, and days spent doing other activities.
    Likely a result from developing a stress-reducing process over time through prolonged high stress conditions.

*Stress may not be exclusively mental, physical, emotional or otherwise.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List