Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some small platforms and practice

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good thread. A couple of days ago, I ran the Gabe White drills with my LCP.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post637977
    I was encouraged that I could shoot that little gun at the Dark pin level on all of the drills except 2H, and even scored a Light time on one 4B2H run.

To be honest, I really hate the LCP. It's a cheap, ugly gun with a crappy trigger. I don't like anything about it other than its size. But when I can't carry anything larger, it's comforting to know that I can shoot it capably.
    I recently picked up an LCP Custom. I've always heard how crappy they are, but the trigger pull on this was surprisingly not horrible out of the box. A couple other issues I've posted about elsewhere, but "while I was in there," cleaning up the big burrs from the action gave it a reasonably decent trigger pull. Considering how cheap it was, many of the parts were actually quite nicely made, and my overall attitude about it changed after having it all the way apart. One thing I noticed is that with the hammer spring in tension between two pins and not touching anything else in between, it has the same fundamental characteristic as a non-J S&W revolver - a frictionless hammer spring. There isn't a whole lot else going on in there, so there's really no reason the trigger shouldn't be just fine.

I have really only done a function check with live ammo at the range before moving on to my main practice, but the targets shot with PMC Bronze had significantly smaller groups than the other four types of ammo I tried. Could have just been me starting to figure it out, as that was what I shot last. It functioned 100 percent with all brands, in any case. Overall, it went a lot better than I expected, and I'm looking forward to working with it further. Will probably pick up a couple mags and some spare springs.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I recently picked up an LCP Custom. I've always heard how crappy they are, but the trigger pull on this was surprisingly not horrible out of the box. A couple other issues I've posted about elsewhere, but "while I was in there," cleaning up the big burrs from the action gave it a reasonably decent trigger pull. Considering how cheap it was, many of the parts were actually quite nicely made, and my overall attitude about it changed after having it all the way apart. One thing I noticed is that with the hammer spring in tension between two pins and not touching anything else in between, it has the same fundamental characteristic as a non-J S&W revolver - a frictionless hammer spring. There isn't a whole lot else going on in there, so there's really no reason the trigger shouldn't be just fine.

I have really only done a function check with live ammo at the range before moving on to my main practice, but the targets shot with PMC Bronze had significantly smaller groups than the other four types of ammo I tried. Could have just been me starting to figure it out, as that was what I shot last. It functioned 100 percent with all brands, in any case. Overall, it went a lot better than I expected, and I'm looking forward to working with it further. Will probably pick up a couple mags and some spare springs.
    Love my LCP custom. I can keep on a 4x6 at 15 yards, which is far better than I expected. Functions well thus far and actual sights are a big plus.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not all compacts are equal.
    This offering from KelTec performed very well, but the heavy DA, while manageable, took it toll
    on me...You will have to skip to the near the end to see what I mean.

Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Took the day off last Monday and ran both my G42s and my G43 at distances out to 40 yards on my 3/4 sized IDPA steel target.

I'm going to try to start devoting specific range days to these small pistols since I carry them often. Shot four boxes of .380 and two boxes of 9 at varying distances and varying positions including "downed officer" positions. Focused on one handed shooting...particularly my left hand and I am coming along nicely with connecting with my Southpaw.

Got about half a case of .380 left. Going to try to shoot all that before the new year. No paper....just steel so I can get that instant feedback.

Makes shooting the larger pistols a breeze.....at least for me it does since I have to focus hard to keep from pushing shots left with the smaller Glocks.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Took the day off last Monday and ran both my G42s and my G43 at distances out to 40 yards on my 3/4 sized IDPA steel target.

I'm going to try to start devoting specific range days to these small pistols since I carry them often. Shot four boxes of .380 and two boxes of 9 at varying distances and varying positions including "downed officer" positions. Focused on one handed shooting...particularly my left hand and I am coming along nicely with connecting with my Southpaw.
    I know it's been asked many times, but I'd be interested in your take on the 42 vs the 43 in terms of ease of shooting well and concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I know it's been asked many times, but I'd be interested in your take on the 42 vs the 43 in terms of ease of shooting well and concealment.
    Ease of shooting well?

For me, its the .380 Glock 42 as there is hardly any recoil and I can bust out 8 of those BBs pretty daggum quick.......even one handed.....and stay on steel. Before anyone starts in on the .380.....yeah, I know it's not all that as far as it's "stopping power" and there is hardly ever a time that i carry one as a primary. As far as concealment, again for me it gets the nod as well as I can slip that thing into a pocket/pocket holster and it's all but invisible.

I actually have two G42s after I bought one on the blue label program and then a coworker (who is almost finished with nursing school and needed deeper concealment) went to trade his 42 in on a Smith bodyguard .380 and they offered him like 250 for it. I told him I would pay that for it so I bought another one.

I carry the department G17 as a primary at work and then BOTH the 42s as back ups. Too much maybe but I have one 42 set up for a left hand draw from a cargo pocket (swapped the mag release too) and the other rides in a Galco ankle glove. Before I bought this 42 from my buddy, I had carried an extra g42 magazine in that pocket with no kind of mag carrier. I looked and looked for something that would work as a carrier and then on a whim one day, just stuck the other 42 in that pocket and tried it out. It worked well so I tried it out at the range and found that if my primary hand/arm was down, I could get to that left hand 42 with ease and handle business. From downed officer positions I could get to the ankle one better.

Now, as far as my G43, it rides in an IWB holster when I'm out mowing grass, working in the yard, fishing, or walking with my wife. My "relaxation" gun, so to speak. It tends to pop out of the safe on weekends during summer months and is usually only for around the house stuff. For more serious stuff (like a Walmart trip or church or out and about) the G19 or 17 ride along in an IWB. For me, the G43 isn't enough as far as capacity and I don't own a mag carrier for it nor the 42s.

I "can" rock the 43 in a pocket but the slide height as well as the extra weight of it make me grab the 42 instead.

All of them (43 and both 42s) are set up with Talon grips, Ameriglo high vis trit front sights and plain rears.......the 43 has the Ameriglo ice rear as well as one of the 42s and the other 42 has the serrated unotch rear. I'm almost 48 and after a lifetime of being able to see pistol sights clear as a bell my eyesight is starting to wane. The front sights being orange and that lime green really help me get on target and stay on target. All three have a Magguts kit in the mags as well giving me 8 total rounds in each pistola. The Magguts kits work great and I've had several hundred rounds with nothing but smooth sailing. Carry ammo is Gold Dots for the .380 and HSTs for the 9mm. My agency mandates we carry Golden Saber 147 bonded and it's impossible to find. So I carry 147 HST in all my 9s as I can find it with ease and I hear it does quite well in actual shootings.

At range quals I routinely shoot all three at the 50 yard line on q targets and routinely make solid hits with them even at that distance. 40 yards is about my limit on the steel though and that is for getting 4/5 hits on most days. Hearing the bullet hit the steel keeps me from looking over my sights to see where I hit......one thing I've always struggled with. Pushing left is my other cardinal sin when it comes to shooting Glocks. Too much 1911 time in my youth and Smith revolvers.

Hope this answers your questions.
    Last edited by lwt16; 09-15-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. That's exactly what I was looking for.
    You are most welcome.

One other thing I forgot to mention is I try to run ammo on the hotter end of the spectrum in the 42s. My latest Sgammo order was Speer Lawman and Blazer brass at 11.99 a box. Locally, .380 ammo runs me close to 20 bucks a box so I order most of my practice stuff from Sg. The Lawman load seems real close to the Gold Dots as far as velocity but I may be talking out my rear as I don't have a chronograph to clock them.

Even hot stuff (900 fps and up) the recoil on the 42 is a breeze.

Site Supporter
    I was going through my computer to consolidate files and found this that I wrote in 2000. Of course, some of it is dated by now. Just FYI.

Ti, Temperature and Texas.

We all read the gun rags about what handgun is best. However, in my opinion, for the TX CHL holder, two things are major determinants of what you carry: Stopping Power and the WEATHER. While, I have had the battery of 9mms and 40 SWs, belt slides and IWBs. I just don’t want a covering vest when it is 110 deg. Maybe I want to take off my sport jacket. My solution has been pocket carry of a SW 442 and later a SW 642 in 38 SPL. I found them to be reliable, comfortable in my pocket and esp. with the quality rounds designed for them – 5 seems acceptable and powerful enough as compared to 22 LR, 25 ACP or 32 ACP pocket guns. But then the siren song of Titanium started to lure me. SW came out with a 342 Airlite. Same J frame Centennial configuration but with a titanium cylinder and thus a couple or so ounces lighter. Lighter sounds good . However, if I was to trade my 642 and get a 342, I’m probably going to have to spend $150. Was it worth it? I decided to shoot a 342 vs. my 642 side by side.

The test was:

First a warm up of 20 Winchester 130 grain FMJ 38 SPL from each, from each gun in an alternation.

Then I fired 20 Federal PDA Hydra-Shoks (110gr.) from each.
    The reason for this ammo choice was:
    1. I had a bit that I got on sale
    2. It is a common self-defense round
    3. +P rounds are expensive and firing snubbies are painful enough without the +P.

In alternating, sequences of 5 rounds, I fired 10 rounds at 4 yards, 5 rounds at 7 yards and 5 at 15 yards. The target was a small silhouette (used by the GA State police). Largest dimension was about 1.5 ft from hand to hand.

My impressions:

Weight: Both guns are light as guns go but the 342 is noticeably lighter. I carry the 642 as a pocket gun. I don't find it uncomfortable. Sometimes, I notice the weight but usually I don't. Since the range would probably not like it if I put their gun in my. By the way for the stopping power fans, I found in the pas that the SW 640 SS in 357 magnum was just a little too heavy for me and just a touch too long for my pockets. Others mention this also.

Conclusion: Some advantage to the 342 but not overwhelming.

Accuracy: Caveat - all were shot with my right hand, one handed. I 'm left handed and my left hand is still screwed up from breaking my wrist this summer. So no two handed grips. Also, shooting cross dominance.

The guns were basically equivalent. At 4 yards, one can shoot touching groups (except for a flier due to gravitational distortion and UFOs). At 7 yards, all rounds were in a fist-sized group. At 15 yards, I was kind of crappy with a six inch / 8 inch group. All would have been in the target though. No advantage to either gun

Recoil I used to think the 642 was stiff but the 342 gives you a sock with a nuance of pain. The 642 pounds your hand hard but it doesn't give me sharp pain. After 50 rounds, my hand is sore. However, with the 342, a fired round can give me an ouch experience. I could definitely feel the trigger trying to dig a hole in my finger. I flashed back to a guy shooting a SW 41 magnum at an SDSI class and it eating up his fingers to the raw flesh. You might not notice it in the heat of an incident but practice would be a pain. In a way it was a good experience as now I regard my 642 as more of a pussycat.

Trigger: This might not be a fair comparison as the 342 was a range gun and my 642 has been shot for several years but I found the 342 trigger a touch gritty and stagy. One cannot generalize from one sample.

The Airlite 32 HR Magnums –Another Solution?

Given, I like the light weight of the Airlite frames (I love my little SW 317 22LR in the field but then I also have a 12 gauge with me), I thought about the 332s in 32 HR Magnum. Same lighter gun but with less recoil and an extra round. So I rented a 331 (has a hammer spur) and tried it out.

My impressions:

1. Trigger/Sights/Grips are typical J frame.
    2. Light - same as 342 to my feel. Recoil - interesting, I tried it as I thought that the 342 was sharp as compared to my 642. The 32 was fairly sharp also (Federal 95 gr. semiwad). I was surprised. It was not that much better than the 642.
    3. Accuracy - for some reason I consistently shot this gun about 2 inches higher at 4 yards than the 642. I only shot 50 rounds - see below. However, grouping was pretty much the same as the others.
    4. Ammo price - %%#((@%@*@ - $21 a box. Two ranges wanted this for practice ammo. All they had was the Federal. With 38 SPL and 9mm in the $5 to 6 range - You ain't practicing much with this guy.

Conclusion: I see no reason to trade in my 642 for a 342. The lighter weight doesn't give me that much more in comfort. The recoil disadvantage was not to my taste. If I was buying a J frame new - maybe for the slight weight difference - but probably not due to the cost. The 342 isn't a bad gun. In fact, it's pretty neat. It's not a newbie gun. If someone buys it and gets +p rounds after reading a gun rag - they are going to surprised if they try it. You need some experience to deal with it. If I was buying a specific gun for ankle carry - maybe. Since I don't carry that way, I really can't judge. With the 32 HR Magnum Airlites (331, 342), you gain a round of a weaker round. Recoil is still sharp - at least to me. Ammo is expensive. Ergonomics/sights/triggers = to other Centennials. Thus - not for me. The 642 is still ahead. The one round difference doesn’t cut it. But there is still hope – what I want is for SW to make a 942. Alloy frame, SS cylinder and in 9x19mm. Work on extraction technology to dump the clips. There have been three solutions - Ruger's, SW's and Phillips and Rodgers’ Medusa. Surely one can work. I once asked SW if they would do one and they said the alloy frame wouldn't take the round. Maybe a Ti frame would work and I’ll have to test again.

User Tag List