View Poll Results: Which type of aiming system is on your pistol?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Front night sight and black rear

24 20.00%
  • Two dot night sights (night sight front, one dot rear)

15 12.50%
  • Three Dot Night Sight

42 35.00%
  • Fiber front with black rear

26 21.67%
  • Black front and Black rear (Defoor type sights)

7 5.83%
  • MRDS (for Ninja and his followers)

6 5.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 sight choices

!0-8s: Black rear with .156 notch, tritium front with .125 width.

Starting to work with FO 10-8s (.115 front, green; .140 notch rear).
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Three dot tritium. Tritium is the only way to ensure that the sight is visible in all light conditions. Three dots is the only way to ensure both vertical and horizontal alignment.

I have used all green, and green front with yellow rear. I am generally indifferent between the two, and am currently running all green.

I have had good results with Dawson Carry, Trijicon Bright & Tough, and Novak. Of the three, I particularly like Dawson Carry.

I do not bother with any tritium sights that do not use Trijicon inserts.

3 Dot Trijicon

Name:  20170816_163441.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  67.4 KB

ETA: BILLSWPA makes very good points. I too prefer to have both the vertical and horizontal confirmed if need be. I thoroughly enjoy shooting bowling pins by moonlight. I have been able to read the writing on the pin, but unable to make out the light bars on the black rear 10-8. Anecdotal for sure, but I dont seem to give up anything by having H3.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 08-16-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

3 Dot with a little red sharpie over the rear sight to provide brightness contrast to the front.

I've been running a black rear with a tritium front from both Heinie and Warren...but I'm about to install my first set with black rear (Proctor Y notch) and FO front. Proctor espouses pretty much the same view as Givens regarding lights and true darkness.

And I'd go all black with no tritium before I went back to 3 dots.

What's the rationale for an all black rear sight?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

3 dot night sights but I can't stand bright outlines around the rear tubes. My preference is Ameriglo Pro Operator rear (yellow with no outline) and ProGlo orange front.
    Last edited by LSP552; 08-16-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    What's the rationale for an all black rear sight?
    They're not really used outside of fine tuning your aim if you have a well developed index; even with eyes closed you should be able to draw to a decent sight picture just fine.

The black doesn't clutter up the sight picture as much when all you usually care about is the front. YMMV, that's how I see it, and that's why things like fiber fronts are popular. I also have HDs on my 45 but the tritium is kinda limited to niche uses since I carry a flashlight in the woods with it anyway.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Can't vote more than once so...

Depending on "mission" I'd say that you need at least one gun with three dot night sights with the front have a green, yellow or orange ring (green is the new hotness btw), and you need one with an all black rear with a colored front (thin).
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Should of clarified. I left it only open for one vote because I assumed (maybe stupidly) that everyone carries one gun as their edc. Now on reflection, I realize people may have multiple guns they carry. I guess just post your preferred set up for your EDC gun.

still not sure if that works

help me Tom Cruise
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-16-2017 at 04:27 PM.

User Tag List