View Poll Results: Which type of aiming system is on your pistol?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Front night sight and black rear

24 20.00%
  • Two dot night sights (night sight front, one dot rear)

15 12.50%
  • Three Dot Night Sight

42 35.00%
  • Fiber front with black rear

26 21.67%
  • Black front and Black rear (Defoor type sights)

7 5.83%
  • MRDS (for Ninja and his followers)

6 5.00%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2017 sight choices

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    Uhhh, stock base-model sights... feel I probably have a long way to go skills-wise before the sights I'm using make a difference.
    Generally speaking, unless the stock sights won't stand up to abuse or you have some vision issues where you can't see them well, the sights themselves don't make THAT big of a difference (unless you're using something different like XS Big Dots). Your ability to grip the pistol, manage recoil, and work the trigger appropriately are far and away bigger factors.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I've been very happy with the Ameriglo Bold sights and will probably default to them in the future for Glocks and any other handgun they become available for. I like the orange ring around the front tritium, the serrations on the rear sight, the lack of attention grabbing rings around the rear tritium and the overall dimensions of the front and rear sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

The three Glocks I carry virtually every day have three different types of sights. In order of acquisition:

G19, factory three-tritium-dots. Because: useful in a range of environments.

G19, Ameriglo tritium front, plain black Battlehook rear. Because: I do not always want tritium or color in the rear sight.

G26, plastic OEM. Because: I reckon that a metal rear sight will eat holes through trouser-leg fabric quicker, and I cannot shoot this little beast worth crap, anyway.

Both of my 1911 pistols have tritium front, with black rear sights. These are not daily-carry, but may resume that job when/if I get tired of training for three systems.

My revolvers have no usefully visible tritium in the sights. (Two of them have dead tritium, no longer visible.)

I have a MOS G19 with an RMR mounted, that is not daily-carry. I think this particular RMR is at its best on a long gun, so may swap this dual-illumination green-triangle RMR for an RM06. When I retire from LEO-ing, probably early next year, this or another RMR'ed or RDS'ed pistol may become a daily carry weapon. (I am expected to obey PD weapon policy 24/7/365, and optics are not yet approved for duty or personal-time-carry, except on rifles.)

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    What's the rationale for an all black rear sight?
    1. Color or tritium in the rear sight can cause my front sight to be even fuzzier or more-washed-out than normal. A bit of contrast in the rear sight can be useful, but too much is bad.

2. When hunting bad guys in the dark, with a long gun in my hands, tritium in the rear sight of my holstered pistol can be a beacon for bad guys. This is not theoretical. I have been able to see colleagues's tritium sights at some distance, in the darkness,

My G19 has this Amerigo fiber front and black rear.
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...44406904465.do

I was using the Glock factory 3-dot tritium sights but I wanted to try something less busy with more light around the front sight. I like it but I do sometimes worry that no tritium will get me killed on the streets.
    Last edited by Irelander; 08-18-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

For my serious use guns, I only want 3 dot tritium. I like the ability to align my sights to deliver accurate shots, even if I don't have time to access my handheld flashlight. I regularly find myself in environments where there is enough light to identify my target as a threat, but not enough light (due to environment or shadow) for me to align my sights. I briefly tried two dot sights, but found that they weren't precise enough vertically for me to feel comfortable using them without a flashlight/ambient light.

My preferred brand is Ameriglo, as I have found that they tend to be the most consistent in matching up the three dots so that they align properly when the sights are lined up. I've had both Trijicon and Heinie sights where the dots were offset. I really noticed the difference when qualifying on the AZ POST night shoot with a set of Heinie 3 dots that caused me to shoot high in low light conditions.

My preferred setup would be a .125 tritium front with orange outline, which allows for quick acquisition at close range, and precision shots at longer distance. I have found that .140 front sights hinder my ability to get hits at 50-100 yards. For the rear sight, I want a .135-.145 square notch, with two dots and no outline around them to draw my focus away from the obnoxiously obvious front sight.

I am currently on the fence for my next pistol, with a Gadgeted (SoonTM) G17 (or possibly G19) gen. 5 competing with a P2000 LEM, both of which meet all of my personal requirements for a CCW gun. The fact that the FBI sights, or the FBI front sight in conjunction with the Ameriglo GL-146R .150 no-outline rear sight ticks all of my check boxes for an ideal sight system, is pushing me towards the Glock. I'm going to pay my $10 for 20 rounds next Saturday to see how the Gen. 5 shoots, but it's hard to argue against a tool that literally checks every single box on my wishlist.

For my beloved pre-Cohen SIGs, particularly my .357 guns that are intended for wilderness/long distance use, I am planning on special ordering custom Dawson sights--non-serrated 3 dot tritiums with a .125 front and .135 rear. Even if an orange outline was available, I feel that it might distract me on longer precision shots, and while the narrower rear notch might slow me down at closer range, I think it will help with precision shots.

By choice, I like the Trijion HD sights (G43, G19) for carry. I use a fiber front, black rear on my 92G Compact. Just not many options with that one.

Hacks on my Glocks, Harrison retro rear / serrated tritium ramp front on the real steel.

Site Supporter
    2 dot Warren Sevigny with the front sight painted orange.

Site Supporter
    I use Dawson adjustable rear sights and FO red front on my two G19's they are the only sights that shoot POA/POI. I like HD's, but I struggle with the dots being the aiming point.
    I have little use for night sights, because of my use of a flash light, but I still use them on my G43. I use the orange Talo addition sights.
    Just curious what sights are you all finding zeroed at 25 yards?

User Tag List