Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hackathorn Wheelgun Glory

Site Supporter

Hackathorn Wheelgun Glory

It is my distinct privilege to call Ken Hackathorn a friend and mentor. I've hosted him for courses here in the Dallas area in the past and have benefited from his experience and counsel more than I can describe. I work SHOT every year not for the money, but because I get to see friends I otherwise don't get to see and Ken is at the top of that list. One of the things I enjoy talking about with Ken is keeping the craft of the revolver alive. He sent this to me a couple of weeks ago and approved publication of this course of fire here on PF. Per his wishes, it's called the Hackathorn Wheelgun Glory. You'll see some standard drills in here, along with a twist or two. Each stage will have the number of rounds for that drill along with the cumulative number of rounds fired at the completion of the stage. Go out and try it and see what you think.

Hackathorn Wheelgun Glory

Target: IDPA with a 4" head circle added; scored at a one second penalty per point dropped.

All starts are from the holster, which should be a practical carry holster (concealed for additional challenge) or a duty holster.

Pass/Fail: 100 seconds; 85 Seconds is very good per Ken

Stage I - Seven Yards: Failure Drill freestyle; repeat strong hand only. Record times for both. 6/6

Stage II - Five Yards: Hackathorn Headshot Standards - Three target array; draw and fire one shot to head circle from left to right, then right to left, then center/each side. Record times for each run. 9/15

Stage III - 10 yards: Tri-Presidente Drill: Three target array; face uprange 180 degrees. On start signal, turn and fire three center to T1, three center to T2, reload, fire three center to T3 and one to each head. Record time. 12/27

Stage IV - 15 yards: Bill Drill (draw and fire six to center of one target). Record time. 6/33

Stage V - 15 yards: Draw and fire three freestyle, switch hands and fire three freestyle from the support side. Record time. 6/39

Stage VI - 20 yards: Draw and fire two shots with three reps. Record times for each pair. 6/45

Stage VII - Wizard Drill -
    Three yards: Strong hand only headshot
    Five yards: Freestyle headshot
    Seven yards: Freestyle headshot
    10 yards: Freestyle pair to center
    Record times for each step. 5/50

I shot it yesterday with a S&W Model 15 with full power, standard pressure 160 grain loads and shot a 60.76 raw with six one second penalties. The 85 second standard may be a bit forgiving, but this is very much an accuracy driven course. I know Ken lurks here, so try this out and let him know what you think.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 08-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Wheel gun or not, this is a great set of drills going into my range rotation. Thanks for posting this Wayne and thanks for sharing it Mr. Hackathorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Excellent! Thanks Wayne! And thank you to Ken if he's watching!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, sounds like this will be getting run at the Pat Rogers Memorial Revolver class this year. Looks great.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I have this printed out. Now to dust off my revolvers.

Time to pull out the ole M64s and give this a go

I really need to get with the Guns Over Texas Radio guys to do some revolver drills.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Thanks Wayne and Ken. I used to shoot revolver a lot but haven't recently. I've had the itch.

Name:  IMG_1493.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  34.8 KB

I grabbed my revolver stuff and headed to the range. I thought the first revolver I shot should be my S&W Model 15. It was the first "combat" handgun I got. Raw time was 66.70 with 7 penalty points for a score of 73.70.

Then I shot my avatar revolver, a 3 inch Model 10. Raw time was 64.82 with 6 penalty points for a score of 70.82.

I used my IDPA kydex holster. I realize I don't have a good concealment holster for my K-Frames. I used 125/130 power factor hand loads, so I guess they could be considered full power or even PlusP.

Thanks for the opportunity to shoot my neglected revolvers.

Thanks very much, Mr Hackathorn!

This is most excellent! I bought a Model 15 a few months back, just to do more double-action accuracy work.

Wayne and Darryl, I am really looking forward to doing these with you gents in November.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Thanks Wayne and Ken. I used to shoot revolver a lot but haven't recently. I've had the itch.

Name:  IMG_1493.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  34.8 KB

I grabbed my revolver stuff and headed to the range. I thought the first revolver I shot should be my S&W Model 15. It was the first "combat" handgun I got. Raw time was 66.70 with 7 penalty points for a score of 73.70.

Then I shot my avatar revolver, a 3 inch Model 10. Raw time was 64.82 with 6 penalty points for a score of 70.82.

I used my IDPA kydex holster. I realize I don't have a good concealment holster for my K-Frames. I used 125/130 power factor hand loads, so I guess they could be considered full power or even PlusP.

Thanks for the opportunity to shoot my neglected revolvers.
    Please tell us who did that Patridge sight installation on the Model 15!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List