Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint S1 dedicated vent rib shotgun optic

Looking at the pic of D shooting, I'm wondering if the reduction in felt recoil has to do with the different cheek weld needed for the receiver mounted vs rib mounted optic.

Took the S1 on my Benelli out to shoot clays yesterday. The plan was to shoot some Trap to figure this thing out, but one Trap field was in use for a league shoot, and the other was declined with a mechanical issue. This left Sporting Clays. I am a complete newb to this and have shot sporting clays exactly once in my life. That was the event where we found yelling "carjacker" or North Korean Paratroopers" instead of "pull" is frowned upon in those circles. The gist is I do not have a clue what I am doing. My girlfriend is a trap shooting fiend, but is also inexperienced in sporting clays. She was testing Beretta's new Over Under designed specifically for women shooters.

The results were interesting. Once I figured out where to hold on the bird, the S1 was awesome. Even shooting directly into the sun, the dot never washed out. For birds flying over me, or at me, the S1 was awesome and on one stage did not miss any of the ten birds. Things were mighty stellar till I got to the last two stations that had very fast moving birds from the side, and one that threw a sideways wobbling bird. I blanked 8 straight on that as my "defensive shotgunning" stopping and aiming thing kicked my tail. I think it can be done well with the S1 and I plan on getting professional instruction. I went 37 for 50, which considering I lost 8 at one station, I think was fairly good for a total newb. Basically, having no sport shotgunning experience, but a lot of defensive shotgun experience with a red dot should translate well for me. Just need to get better at moving the gun faster and following through.

On a side note, I used the Beretta women's gun (690 Vittoria) on one of the stages where I had problems with my gun, and simply obliterated the two birds. Made me think that because that women's gunactually fits me well because I shoot square on the gun off my pec that the gun fit helped with swinging it with the path of the birds at speed combined with a really solid weld on the gun, it was a benefit. I am shooting a charity shoot tomorrow, so we'll see how things go. So far, I am still loving the S1, just need to stay dedicated to the working and training to master the concept.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Aimpoint S1 dedicated vent rib shotgun optic

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Took the S1 on my Benelli out to shoot clays yesterday. The plan was to shoot some Trap to figure this thing out, but one Trap field was in use for a league shoot, and the other was declined with a mechanical issue. This left Sporting Clays. I am a complete newb to this and have shot sporting clays exactly once in my life. That was the event where we found yelling "carjacker" or North Korean Paratroopers" instead of "pull" is frowned upon in those circles. The gist is I do not have a clue what I am doing. My girlfriend is a trap shooting fiend, but is also inexperienced in sporting clays. She was testing Beretta's new Over Under designed specifically for women shooters.
    The results were interesting. Once I figured out where to hold on the bird, the S1 was awesome. Even shooting directly into the sun, the dot never washed out. For birds flying over me, or at me, the S1 was awesome and on one stage did not miss any of the ten birds. Things were mighty stellar till I got to the last two stations that had very fast moving birds from the side, and one that threw a sideways wobbling bird. I blanked 8 straight on that as my "defensive shotgunning" stopping and aiming thing kicked my tail. I think it can be done well with the S1 and I plan on getting professional instruction. I went 37 for 50, which considering I lost 8 at one station, I think was fairly good for a total newb. Basically, having no sport shotgunning experience, but a lot of defensive shotgun experience with a red dot should translate well for me. Just need to get better at moving the gun faster and following through.
    On a side note, I used the Beretta women's gun (690 Vittoria) on one of the stages where I had problems with my gun, and simply obliterated the two birds. Made me think that because that women's gunactually fits me well because I shoot square on the gun off my pec that the gun fit helped with swinging it with the path of the birds at speed combined with a really solid weld on the gun, it was a benefit. I am shooting a charity shoot tomorrow, so we'll see how things go. So far, I am still loving the S1, just need to stay dedicated to the working and training to master the concept.
    Those fast side to side shots can be a real PITA. I've got another sporting clay outing with my friends happening this Saturday. I'm hoping to match or beat my all time record of 46/50. 37/50 isn't bad at all for someone who never does it. Good shooting and keep it up!

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Last edited by spinmove_; 09-14-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Had some super interesting observations today. We had some instructors helping us. To say that they were against the S1 was an understatement....and refused to even look through it. Not a big deal, but funny. So, first stage was ten birds that all come towards you. Went 9 out of ten. And knew exactly why I missed the one. Like the pistol, the S1 will show you your errors. I knew where my barrel was in relationship to the bird precisely when every shot was broken. Having some instructors around really helped on the side to side stuff and learning how to read the birds and the leads needed. For me, huge learning curve, but the S1 is not what the issue is for me. I am actually finding it to be a huge help.

My girlfriend and I had a very unique incident happen that GJM may find interesting and a good reason for a S1 on a gun for protecting against animal charges. We had a stage where the first shot was a bird that came in a crossing pattern towards the shooter station with a bunch of "trees" in front of you. The bird broke coming out of the thrower into a single piece that was about a third of the bird, and the large 2/3 portion of the clay target was coming straight into the window of the stand where my girlfriend was using the controller for the bird maybe four feet from my right. I simply planted that dot on the chunk and vaporize it maybe five yard in front of the window. For a charging animal, I imagine that level of speed and precision would be a huge benefit. Hopefully, I will get some Trap in with it next week.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 09-15-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

A sighting system that allows you to look at, and keep your focus on a moving target, sure seems like an advantage to me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Had some super interesting observations today. We had some instructors helping us. To say that they were against the S1 was an understatement....and refused to even look through it. Not a big deal, but funny. So, first stage was ten birds that all come towards you. Went 9 out of ten. And knew exactly why I missed the one. Like the pistol, the S1 will show you your errors. I knew where my barrel was in relationship to the bird precisely when every shot was broken. Having some instructors around really helped on the side to side stuff and learning how to read the birds and the leads needed. For me, huge learning curve, but the S1 is not what the issue is for me. I am actually finding it to be a huge help.

My girlfriend and I had a very unique incident happen that GJM may find interesting and a good reason for a S1 on a gun for protecting against animal charges. We had a stage where the first shot was a bird that came in a crossing pattern towards the shooter station with a bunch of "trees" in front of you. The bird broke coming out of the thrower into a single piece that was about a third of the bird, and the large 2/3 portion of the clay target was coming straight into the window of the stand where my girlfriend was using the controller for the bird maybe four feet from my right. I simply planted that dot on the chunk and vaporize it maybe five yard in front of the window. For a charging animal, I imagine that level of speed and precision would be a huge benefit. Hopefully, I will get some Trap in with it next week.
    Two-legged or four-legged? A moving head shot in the middle of a bunch of no-shoots..... That sounds eerily familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A sighting system that allows you to look at, and keep your focus on a moving target, sure seems like an advantage to me.
    Yep. Having my girlfriend look at my and exclaim, "holy crap that was coming straight at my face, great shot" was pure win. While all of the Aimpoints basically work the same, the thing I am liking with the S1 is combined with a gun that really naturally fits to your body by design allows for you to do some very cool stuff with it. I think what the instructors today looked at as evil sorcery actually translates to I am basically able to hit birds with a rifle sight......think about that for a second? Along with the targets coming at me, I also only missed one of the rabbit targets, and again, knew exactly why.

While Aimpoint is obviously looking at this as a bit revolutionary in the shotgun sports and bird hunting realm, I am reversing that back to looking at the ability to use a shotgun with buck or slug to hit very fast moving things with a ton of control and Precison.

Picture from my worst stage. Good view of the S1.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

@Dagga Boy, I'm sure you probably answered this question already, but why is your S1 mounted where it is? Why not closer to the receiver?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    DB,

I used to shoot clays with my dad a lot, he was very good, I'm fair to middling. One year we got some professional coaching as a gift. The change that made the biggest difference in my clay shooting was this. Treat the clay like you would a baseball. Which is to say, if you are swinging at a pitch, are you watching the bat, or the ball? With clays, the clay is tha ball, the shotgun is the bat. You probably shouldn't even see the gun, except out of your peripheral vision.

That concept is anathema to defensive shooting, and makes it hard to transition between the two. It is also a hard concept to articulate intelligibly and most shotgunners can't tell someone else what they are doing wrong. With that change, I picked up another 10-12 birds out of 100. And missed birds were usually me looking at the front bead.

Im interested in how the S1 did, and I wonder if the sight reference point which allows you to maintain a hard target focus will work in clays. It should work really well with trap, and with some presentations in clays, but much like skeet, the fast crossing birds will be hard. But those tend to be the hardest types of birds for a defensive shooter anyway.

Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

User Tag List