Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint S1 dedicated vent rib shotgun optic

More thoughts. Just back from gravel pit, light rain and low 40's here.

Fine tuned the zero on the S1, and shot it back to 50. Zero seems stable from yesterday.

So S1 on vent rib versus H2 in Scalarworks mount over action? If you have a vent rib the S1 will be easier, and if you have a Tactical model drilled for a rail, obviously the Scalarworks mount will be easier. Subjectively, I feel like the Scalarworks mount will be stronger as it has two screws and two posts, where the S1 is clamping the vent rib and relying on two screws pushing on the clamp piece. I put witness paint on the vent rib before this morning's session and it did not seem to move. However, last night the two screws seemed a smidge looser than I remember, but my recollection may be imperfect (I lean towards that I did not fully tighten them, as they are fine after shooting just now).

I prefer the improvements to the T2/H2 over the legacy micro the S1 is based on, in terms of more durable connections (per Bolke/Dobbs), the option of clear lens covers, and a cleaner dot. That cleaner dot probably is more of a factor at carbine distances than shotgun. The 2 moa H2 versus 6 moa S1 is personal preference, with the bigger dot nice for close charging furry things, and the smaller dot better for 75 yard groups.

Subjectively, the S1 mounted further away from my face seems nice for quick and dirty shotgun work, and not sure why but recoil seems more palatable with dot further away from my face. Both positions are plenty fast, and differences likely fall in the inconsequential increment territory. For field carry, the clean action with the S1 is a major plus.

At this point, I need to live with the S1 in the field for a month or two, and verify it holds the optic securely to know whether I like it or the Scalarworks conventional position for the optic better.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

When the rain let up, we hopped over to a ridge for some hiking and gear testing. The open action makes the shotgun feel much lighter and handier.

Name:  IMG_7363.jpg
Views: 3532
Size:  97.0 KB

I view the scalarworks as an attempt to "m4-ify" the shotgun, while the s1 is an attempt to enhance the shotgun in its more traditional role.

I like my m4, and want a shotgun that mirrors it (pistol grip, t2, light at 11 o'cloco, etc). Scalarworks is my choice. Still others may like the swing and point of a shotgun, and the s1 may be their better choice.

George in your last pic. holding your SG, does the the S1 have something attached to the left side of it?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    George in your last pic. holding your SG, does the the S1 have something attached to the left side of it?
    That is the plate, with two screws, that holds the S1 on the vent rib.

Got my first one yesterday. Mounted it up to my M2 3 gun last night and will start shooting it next week to prep for a shotgun class the next weekend. I mounted it dead center of the center rib. It would basically be one rib ahead of where GJM's is on his shorty. So far....love the thing.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When the rain let up, we hopped over to a ridge for some hiking and gear testing. The open action makes the shotgun feel much lighter and handier.

Name:  IMG_7363.jpg
Views: 3532
Size:  97.0 KB
    This is how I prefer to hold a shotgun, when covering long distances relatively quickly, and is a significant reason I bought a 21" ribbed M2 barrel, in anticipation of adding an S-1.

Broke in the Benelli M2 today. So far, love the S1. I have a lot of weight on the M2, and function was great with everything from slug, low recoils slug, and low base bird shot out of the "misc. leftover stuff " bag. Using the GJM method, I got centered at 10 yards, zero at 25 and re shot at 7. Shoots a little low at 7 with low recoil home defense slug. The comfortech stock is awesome. Slugs were nearly pleasant.
    I will run the gun hard Sunday in class and see how it pans out as the goal of a do it all gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

DB, you running the compact stock or the regular Comfortech?
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    DB, you running the compact stock or the regular Comfortech?
    Regular. At some point my girlfriend will be getting an M2 Youth with the short stock. I do okay with the big one.

User Tag List