Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint S1 dedicated vent rib shotgun optic

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am but a lowly civilian commoner. I thought one had to be a military or LEO to order from him?

I looked on their website and did not see them. I can call him tomorrow.
    I've ordered before. No referral needed.

Very interesting. Wondering if I can use the S1 to float the bird for trap using a standard stock. While I have a dedicated trap gun, I would prefer to use non-Monte Carlo stocked guns on occasion.

That is slick. I can see one of these on my 1187.

Site Supporter
    So if I understand GJM correctly I should dump that cool nostalgic benelli M1 super 90 I just put on lay away and go directly to the M2?
    Last edited by Poconnor; 08-16-2017 at 06:13 AM.

Site Supporter
    A trap stock with its higher comb would be perfect for this application. In the past many 870s and 1100s had trap stock. Thus finding one for either of these shotguns would not be difficult. Once I put a Red Dot on a Mossberg 500 and experimented with it. Other than being clumsy it worked. The op has a good idea and has applied the scout rifle concept to a shotgun.

Name:  IMG_2756.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  30.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just got back to our cabin mid afternoon. Very lousy weather, with the freezing level and icing down to 4,000 feet msl. Moderate to heavy rain, high 40's and significant wind when I headed to the gravel pit to zero the S1 -- so typical Alaska weather when you might need a shotgun to defend yourself.

Mounted the optic yesterday, using the "A" and "1" plates, which seem the right ones for a Benelli M2 vent rib. Took 15 Brenneke slugs with me, which I judged to be my pain threshold for one session shooting from kneeling and/or sitting, aiming as carefully as you do zeroing. Started at 25 yards, which is my shotgun zero distance as it puts me on at 25, a bit high at 50, and on again at 75. First slug missed the entire USPSA cardboard, which was unexpected. Went to 10 yards, and hit 2/3 of the way to the right edge of the target, and about three inches high. Stated twisting adjustment like crazy, and with three more slugs, got it zeroed at 25. Went to 50 and it was a few inches high as expected, then to 75 yards where the combination of heavy rain, the 6 moa dot, and a very wet display, made it hard. Put one shot right into the cluster and one four or five inches left.

Overall, I was very impressed with the S1. The gun was extremely soft to shoot today, and I wished I had brought more Brenneke slugs with me. I then shot some bird shot at a steel plate, and it seemed very fast to get on target, using both eyes open, with very little of your downrange view obscured.

I tried to wipe the gobs of water off the front lens and was startled looking at the front lens, as it seemed tilted and possibly broken. Got back to the cabin, and my other T2 units were identical, so it is obviously something about the design. Shows how observant I have been with past units, but with Brenneke slugs, I am always wary of things coming apart. Need to do some more testing, but right now I am really liking the S1.

Very canted front lens is design feature/parameter. All is well.

Just an observation -- the S1 appears to be T1 technology as opposed to having the features of the T2/H2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    That's probably why they called it the S1 and not the S2.

Good thing you are the boss, or you would get booted to General Discussion for that.

User Tag List