Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint S1 dedicated vent rib shotgun optic

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    After last Friday's benefit clay shoot, I'm willing to try anything. 49/100...SMH.
    I've been there, pardner.

One throw you're ahead of it, one throw behind and you did the exact same thing both times.

But that's the "fun" of it, never the same course twice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    On the money so far with this post and my experience. Like golf, I understand clay shooting, just not good at it, and up till recently, didn't care. What generally is going on is that your focus is on the bird, and your eye is the rear sight. Yep, anathema to a defensive shooter. I have been shooting an Aimpoint on a 12 ga. Defensive gun since basically when the Comp M2 came out. For me, the red dot is the shotgun sight. We can make all sorts of various arguments for low power variables and things like ACOG's on rifles (I had ACOG number 687...early adopter on those too) versus the red dot. Valid argument. On the shotgun and sub gun....no argument, it is an Aimpoint world. So, I am very used to using an Aimpoint on a shotgun. Clays will always be nothing but fun to me. Trap will be the preferred discipline, and sporting clays will be a something different to do, no more no less. Basically, because I hate golf, and like guns.....sporting clays. When a rank newbie can go out and slaughter the first 9 out of ten clays thrown at me, there is something there with the S1 on some types of targets. I also did much better with a really good coach basically explaining the bird flight and how to both read and lead the birds on the more difficult stages. When I had someone who knows what they are doing tell me where I needed to be, the S1 let me put the barrel in that exact spot. Again, a benefit. I also don't think a lot of total rookies to the game can call shots. I know where my barrel was on every shot I missed. I think that is also a valuable thing. I would love to go to Aimpoints academy in Sweden to learn this right.

For me, from a practical standpoint, my M2 "50 state do it all long gun" is set up exactly the same sighting and function wise to my 28" barreled Benelli Sport that is a play gun. I think that is a good thing and unlike most, I think my clay shooting with the same sight that is on my defensive gun is a huge benefit because the clays becomes training doing the same thing sight wise and visually, where normally, clays is completely opposite to what we are teaching in the defensive world. I need to spend more time with both guns, but could even see getting a 28" barrel for my M2 with an S1 for my M2 and really use one gun for everything. Right now, the Benelli Sport doesn't offend anyone at the clay ranges (even with the Aimpoint, the pretty wood seems to make it sort of okay). Alternatively, if I really wanted to go low profile, I could cut a 28" Sport barrel down to 18 or 19 inches (the rib would guide the length) with an S1 and no chokes and have a great hotel room defensive shotgun that would completely fly under the radar.

I will be shooting Trap with the thing on Wed. If everything goes right, so we will see what happens with that.
    I definitely want to hear how the Trap goes. With the usual setup on trap guns with those high ribs, the Aimpoint would be a natural evolution.

So, one thing I was thinking about. We all understand why it's hard for defensive shooters to play fast clay games, because we have trained our asses off to look at the front sight, and that's the wrong thing to do with fast clays. I have limited experience with trying to shoot defensive type guns with clay shooters (pretty much my dad). But, even with an N=1, he did not enjoy shooting a pistol at all, and I think a big part of that was that he maintained a hard target focus at all times. I wonder if clay shooters would benefit from using a RDS equipped pistol/carbine, where they could maintain their trained target focus and still be able to operate the gun effectively.

It'd be awesome if there were a couple of guys, say who were both good defensive shooters/teachers, and maybe have been playing with shotgunners recently; who also maybe had an in at a high quality optics company that could test my theory. I mean, they don't _have_ to be in Texas, but that would be ok by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    I definitely want to hear how the Trap goes. With the usual setup on trap guns with those high ribs, the Aimpoint would be a natural evolution.

So, one thing I was thinking about. We all understand why it's hard for defensive shooters to play fast clay games, because we have trained our asses off to look at the front sight, and that's the wrong thing to do with fast clays. I have limited experience with trying to shoot defensive type guns with clay shooters (pretty much my dad). But, even with an N=1, he did not enjoy shooting a pistol at all, and I think a big part of that was that he maintained a hard target focus at all times. I wonder if clay shooters would benefit from using a RDS equipped pistol/carbine, where they could maintain their trained target focus and still be able to operate the gun effectively.

It'd be awesome if there were a couple of guys, say who were both good defensive shooters/teachers, and maybe have been playing with shotgunners recently; who also maybe had an in at a high quality optics company that could test my theory. I mean, they don't _have_ to be in Texas, but that would be ok by me.
    Great shotgun sport shooters tend to be problem children in defensive pistol work......hard for them to use a front sight focus (if at all), and trigger slappers of the highest order. Just a totally different game. Had a guy who was helping me with shotgun look at me and say "I know this sounds terrible with your background, but you need to put your finger on the trigger so I know you are ready." Just a totally different world. I want to wade into it, because I am having fun, and if I can master this stuff with a red dot, it will be a wonderful benefit to my real focus on what I do that is not for fun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    It’s been a year. Does anyone have an update on the S1 on the M2 or 870?

I just got a vent rib barrel for my 1187 and plan on having it cut to 19”. My thought is to put an S-1 on the rib. I was wondering if anyone has any more positive or negative experience with the S1.

I have had the S1 on a 14 Benelli since they came out. It is zeroed for Brenneke slugs. It makes the shotgun very handy as the action is unencumbered.

Name:  7A83D302-ED4D-4C71-86C4-3F5DFFB1B492.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  69.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have had the S1 on a 14 Benelli since they came out. It is zeroed for Brenneke slugs. It makes the shotgun very handy as the action is unencumbered.

Name:  7A83D302-ED4D-4C71-86C4-3F5DFFB1B492.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  69.1 KB
    Thanks, I was hoping you’d reply. Have you had any issues with it loosening on the rib or otherwise holding zero?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Thanks, I was hoping you’d reply. Have you had any issues with it loosening on the rib or otherwise holding zero?
    Not so far.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Here's a few data points.

I found some intrepid soul on you tube who mounted a S-1 on a Browning Auto 5 ribbed barrel. The Auto 5 is a long recoil design which means the entire barrel reciprocates very fast aft and then forward. He had done this for turkey hunting and was happy with it. If that didn't rattle the S-1 it's hard to imagine what would. I wonder if it ever came off the rib.
    Additionally, people mounted Aimpoints on pistol slides until the MRDSs came along. That might be even harder on the sight. I think the S-1 would be a great choice if you can stand the price point.
    I mounted a S-1 on a Valmet double gun barrel set and shot a very informal trap session with it one afternoon. Switching off between that barrel and a conventional barrel set I did slightly better with the regular fiber optic bead setup. One comparative session only though.
    Last edited by 314159; 08-30-2020 at 07:11 AM.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I just got a vent rib barrel for my 1187 and plan on having it cut to 19”. My thought is to put an S-1 on the rib. I was wondering if anyone has any more positive or negative experience with the S1.
    Well, the vendor said that Aimpoint says this optic won’t fit a Remington rib. I’m going to measure my rib this week and compare to the chart in the S1 manual. Some internet searching indicated that the mount wouldn’t fit a Remington rib when the optic was introduced but there was some thinking that the right size mount would be developed eventually. Has anyone mounted an S1 to a Remington rib?

User Tag List