Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I need a new "Shoot Me" vest...aka Safari Vest/Concealed Carry Vest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    https://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Travel_Vest.shtml

I have never seen one of these but though they look interesting.

edit: that one only comes in small. There are others on that site.
    We each have Scott EVests, my preferred for travel, and is long enough to work for concealed carry. Lotsa pockets, like most of their products. Not too warm, although living in Western WA our impression of "hot" is... different.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I went to put on my older Academy-made cheapo Safari vest the other day and discovered that my lovely canine companion had discovered it as a chew toy.

So, I need a new "shoot me vest". I need a summer-weight vest, to wear over a t-shirt, it needs to be long enough conceal my handgun in OWB holster. Yes, I actually wear a vest in public as a concealment garment. This isn't for gaming, so I don't care how "stiff" it is. It just needs to work like a damn vest. It would be great if the main pockets had loops for shotgun shells, but hook and loop panels would be fine. Would love it to have both zip and a snap closure that I can use with the vest unzipped.

I've looked at the 5.11 vests and the thing I don't like is the left hand pockets are sized for AR magazines. Which means storing anything else in those pockets (keys, etc) will be impossible to get out with my giant (size XL) hands. That's a no go. I want a normal pocket on both sides.

Budget ~$50-100

Quality ~ Good enough to last 3-5 years of regular wear (not competition, just regular every day wear)

Sizing ~ I have a 46" chest, a 36" waistband, and I'm 5'7"...So XL is generally my vest sizing to fit over my shoulders.

Availability ~I'm taking a road trip in 3 weeks, it would be nice to have it by then.

Suggestions?
    Major apologies if already noted, but another thing to consider is a nice old fashioned fishing vest. As a Texan I've not seen vests often outside our one week of deep winter, as one would spontaneously burst into flame from the heat here.

I was in our local REI a few weeks ago and they had several different styles and colors of vests prominently featured in the displays.

If you have one local it might be worth stopping in to see the selection.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Site Supporter
    I wear a class 3 traffic safety vest each day at work, but I guess that won't work for everyone.
    I've got several vests from FIlson and Arborwear that I wear in the colder months. Carhartt has a bunch of non tactical looking vests that might work for you. This one looks like a good option for warmer weather.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Take a look at Duluth Trading. I have been using a lightweight vest of theirs for several years traveling about. Its more "work looking" than "tactial looking" and still has plenty of pockets. Mine is coffee colored, faded, and pretty low-key.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...cessor=content
    Last edited by entropy; 08-18-2017 at 11:31 PM.

User Tag List