Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a "Practical Rifle"

Interesting discussion. Being a lefty with long guns has caused me to gravitate toward Tikka, as left-hand Winchesters are no longer being produced, and the Tikka rifles I have handled seem more-refined than their Ruger counterparts. I managed to get one left-hand Winchester, when they were being produced, but it being .375 H&H, the times when it is the "practical" choice are limited, unless I move much, much farther north after retirement. (Actually, our beloved German Shepherds would probably like a cooler climate... )

You could always handload some 235 grains peers around 2,400 and roll piggies in comfort w that .375.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Site Supporter
    GJM,
    Can you post a pic of your Scoutski?
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    GJM,
    Can you post a pic of your Scoutski?
    Thanks in advance!
    If you are referring to the CZ 7.62x39, that is SteveB's rifle now. With PhotoBucket TU, lots of images are lost.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    You could always handload some 235 grains peers around 2,400 and roll piggies in comfort w that .375.
    Well, true, but this is no light-weight rifle, even without an optic, so I would have to really want to carry it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you are referring to the CZ 7.62x39, that is SteveB's rifle now. With PhotoBucket TU, lots of images are lost.
    Ok, a picture of that did survive in the Scout Rifle thread, I didn't realize it was the same rifle.

Site Supporter
    The more I looked at ammo prices and the thought of modifying my pre-64 '06 before a class just to do it again after lessons learned the more I second thought myself.

I just ordered a .223 CZ527 Youth. I'll use it (with Andy's Rhodesian sling and a yet to be decided optic) to take Mr. Cain's class at the earliest oppurtunty in 2018, apply the lessons learned to my Model 70 build, and once that is done take Gunsite 270 with the '06.

I feel good about this. I'm not adding a caliber, if I really want to hunt with the .223 I can do so in NC where I deer hunt, and I can afford to shoot it a lot. It also let's me make a more informed decision before I (hopefully) ship my Model 70 to Mr. Brockman.

So my questions now are:
    Which optic and QD mounts with the idea of running the bolt fast for shots out to 400?

How many magazines for the practical rifle class?

Which butt cuff to hold extra magazines?

Are there any other modifications I should consider prior to going to Mr. Cain's course?
    Last edited by sharps54; 08-21-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Fine tuning

The more I looked at ammo prices and the thought of modifying my pre-64 '06 before a class just to do it again after lessons learned the more I second thought myself.

I just ordered a .223 CZ527 Youth. I'll use it (with Andy's Rhodesian sling and a yet to be decided optic) to take Mr. Cain's class at the earliest oppurtunty in 2018, apply the lessons learned to my Model 70 build, and once that is done take Gunsite 270 with the '06.

I feel good about this. I'm not adding a caliber, if I really want to hunt with the .223 I can do so in NC where I deer hunt, and I can afford to shoot it a lot. It also let's me make a more informed decision before I (hopefully) ship my Model 70 to Mr. Brockman.

So my questions now are:
    Which optic and QD mounts with the idea of running the bolt fast for shots out to 400?

How many magazines for the practical rifle class?

Which butt cuff to hold extra magazines?

Are there any other modifications I should consider prior to going to Mr. Cain's course?
    I used Scoutski, the CZ 7.62x39, and a Brockman .308, when I took Randy's class. Scoutski had a 30mm Aimpoint, and a scout scope, but I only remember using the Aimpoint. I don't remember shooting past 200 with Randy. The way my current CZ youth 7.62x39 is set-up, is with an Aimpoint Pro in a 30mm ring, on the forward conventional scope base. Five extra magazines should cover you. There isn't a butt cuff I am aware of that is long term durable in retaining a spare mag, so either your pocket or something you rig up -- maybe The Wilderness has something.

Before I messed with a scope besides the Aimpoint, I would ping Randy. Add a third sling stud so you can run the Langlois sling.

Site Supporter
    GJM,

Thanks, that helps! I wonder if something like this DIP mount would be a good idea.

GJM,

Thanks, that helps! I wonder if something like this DIP mount would be a good idea.
    Looks interesting, but I am not familiar with it.

User Tag List