Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a "Practical Rifle"

I want a Savage Hog Hunter that takes a detachable mag, with both a flush fitting and 10 round option. That's it.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I have had a Steyr Scout, and didn't like it, as it felt cheap and flimsy compared to a model 70. Bought a Tikka and Sako .308 in the last year, and have yet to warm to either.

Spoke to Jim Brockman this afternoon about this thread. Main advantage of the .308 is cheap ammo, where the 6.5 C recoils less and shoots flatter.

I think that new Winchester stainless synthetic model 70 .300 WM looks like a good rifle at a reasonable price.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Have you considered a Ruger GSR and GuideGun or Hawkeye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Also that is a great point about the illuminated reticle low power variable making the red dot unneeded.
    Natchez Shooter's Supply has a few different illuminated Leupold 2-12x42 VX-6s for $750 and free shipping.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I ran a psuedo-Scout for several years. The forward mounted scope neither speeds up nor slows down bolt work. But you have to train with it, and not everyone does that.

Okie John
    To be honest Evan's comments over on Hill People Gear is the first time I have seen a definitive statement that "you just can't run a bolt action hard and fast with a traditional scope." I know if you have the wrong scope/ring combo you will make it hard to run fast but with the right combo I'm not sure why it would be an issue. I used to have a Weatherby 7mm Magnum with a Leupold 2-7 and on a 2003 hog hunt in NC I had got compliments on how fast I was able to get a second shot on my hog. I practiced a lot before that hunt and it paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I want a Savage Hog Hunter that takes a detachable mag, with both a flush fitting and 10 round option. That's it.
    I have heard that Savages have a reputation for feeding issues. There is no question they are accurate especially in their price range.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have had a Steyr Scout, and didn't like it, as it felt cheap and flimsy compared to a model 70. Bought a Tikka and Sako .308 in the last year, and have yet to warm to either.

Spoke to Jim Brockman this afternoon about this thread. Main advantage of the .308 is cheap ammo, where the 6.5 C recoils less and shoots flatter.

I think that new Winchester stainless synthetic model 70 .300 WM looks like a good rifle at a reasonable price.
    I sent Mr. Brockman an email yesterday to check on his lead time. I'm happy to wait for the right "answer" to this problem.

I definitely am looking forward to your thoughts on this project. I know I want a woods/brush rifle that would also fit the practical rifle mold. I also want a matching longer range rifle for out west and a possible trip to New Zealand (I've listen to too many podcasts from Kyle Lamb and Avery Adventures). I'm partial to the Model 70 and controlled feed/safeties that lock the sear from reading many books on African hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Have you considered a Ruger GSR and GuideGun or Hawkeye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not really, I have heard the Rugers are pretty rough action wise and too heavy. That said I haven't shot one myself so I'm not totally ruling it out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    I hadn't considered the Tikka's but that might be a viable option. GJM seems to not love the Tikka but I know there were a number of positive remarks in previous threads. I'm slowly rereading the scout rifle thread now, I had read bits and pieces before but never the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Natchez Shooter's Supply has a few different illuminated Leupold 2-12x42 VX-6s for $750 and free shipping.
    Good to know, I was hoping to keep as close to true 1X as possible for the low range but I wonder if that is really necessary. Heck I wonder if I should just take Randy Cain's class with my grandfather's .30-06 Model 70, peep sight and all, and go with the lessons I learn from that...

Please keep the comments coming. I had more or less decided on the idea of just going with a pair of Model 70's in .308 & .300WM but wanted the kind of input I am getting here. I especially am interested in the idea of .300WM vs .30-06 for 500 yards and in.

I almost wonder if I should have Mr. Brockman set up my .30-06 as a practical rifle, buy a 6.5 Model 70 Compact to build as a class/fun/brush rifle, and if I ever need it add a Model 70 Extreme in .300WM down the road. Will a 6.5 do all the brush things I would need, bears and so on? I had set on .308 not just because of cheap ammo but also for bear hunts in the future.
    Last edited by sharps54; 08-16-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typos and to complete a thought

My concern with all these rifles is proficiency. Will you have enough time behind each one, with different optics and sights, and triggers and stock styles, to really be able to make the nuances work for you?

For caliber, I would choose 6.5 Creedmoor. It's popular enough at this point that Walmart carries it, and is more flexible than 308 in what it can do. It has similar ballistics to 300 WM with less recoil than both which always helps the shooter. I shoot a 6.5x47 which is very similar.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    My concern with all these rifles is proficiency. Will you have enough time behind each one, with different optics and sights, and triggers and stock styles, to really be able to make the nuances work for you?

For caliber, I would choose 6.5 Creedmoor. It's popular enough at this point that Walmart carries it, and is more flexible than 308 in what it can do. It has similar ballistics to 300 WM with less recoil than both which always helps the shooter. I shoot a 6.5x47 which is very similar.
    I didn't go into it on my original post but that is one of the reasons I want to build this battery to replace the guns I'm currently using. For modern cartridge rifles I currently have a Marlin 1894 .357, Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, Winchester XPR in 7mmRM, Winchester Model 70 in .30-06, a 5.56 11.5" AR SBR and a .300 BO 8.5" AR SBR. I will keep the ARs due to the tax stamps and the fact they really serve another purpose. I want to eliminate the rest and have a system where all the rifles have the same action type, same stock length and feel (the McMillan HTG comes to mind) and so on. The only thing that would differ is the weight/balance and the optic although I would want to have optics as similar in recticle style as possible. I even considered going all standard length actions so the bolt throw would be uniform. Maybe a .30-06, a .300 WM, and a .375 Taylor or .416 Taylor if I ever went to Africa. I also plan on taking Mr. Cain's Practical Rifle class and Gunsite 270 to build that proficiency.

The 6.5C is something I need to consider instead of the .308. Again my only concern is if it will be as good on big game as the .308. For now I see the "little rifle" (.308/6.5) for everything in the lower 48 300 yards in and the "big rifle" (.300WM or maybe .30-06) as everything in the lower 48 out to 500 or as far as I can shoot accurately.

Rather than trying to know the ending to the story now, maybe take Randy's class and Gunsite 270 with a rifle you have now, or with one you buy/borrow, as you will know a lot more afterwards.

Bolt gun skills like using a sling, running the bolt hard and reloading are not action/caliber specific.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Rather than trying to know the ending to the story now, maybe take Randy's class and Gunsite 270 with a rifle you have now, or with one you buy/borrow, as you will know a lot more afterwards.

Bolt gun skills like using a sling, running the bolt hard and reloading are not action/caliber specific.
    I'm kind of leaning this way. I already know the stock on my Model 70 is too long and I'd probably want to have some sort of optic. I hate to buy things for the Model 70 and then send it to Brockman to replace them.

I really wonder if I should just buy a $300 Mossberg Patriot Youth in .243 or .308 or a similar cheap youth model bolt action (maybe even in .223) just to take the class. The CZ 527 Youth is no doubt a better rifle than a Ruger American, Win. XPR, Mossberg Patriot (although the Scout Rifle forum seems to like those), or even a cheap Rem. 700 but it will cost twice as much...

Any thoughts on setting up a CZ 527 to take Mr. Cain's class?

User Tag List