Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Help me decide on a "Practical Rifle"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Looks interesting, but I am not familiar with it.
    I'm just looking for a fairly easy way to mount the Aimpoint without sending it off to add forward mounting points. They seem to have pretty good reviews altough it may require a cheek pad or riser of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    GJM,
    Can you post a pic of your Scoutski?
    Thanks in advance!
    Name:  scoutski - 1.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  89.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Thanks SteveB!

Great decision on the 223! Low recoil, accurate, easy on the wallet, and very versatile. The 1:9 twist will limit you from using the real heavy/long bullets like the 75 ELD/Amax, or 80 grain SMK/Nosler CC type bullet but try the 77 IMI Razor load that everyone is talking about. If that shoots decent then I would stick with it as that bullet is accurate, has a good BC to buck the wind, and hit steel hard enough to hear and observe. If you reload then try the Nosler 77 Custom Competition and 8208XBR.

DIP makes nice stuff. No experience with that version but I have a DIP rail on my CZ 455 and it has been solid.

For an optic, just speaking from 3-Gun experience where we shoot from 10-300 yards as fast as we can, a 1-6 or 1-8x optic would be my choice. 1-4 will work but at 400, depending on target size, you are stretching things. I have a 1-4x Vortex Razor (30mm tube) on my carbine and a 1.5-8x Burris XTR II (34mm tube) on my DMR. The Burris is pretty large in size, and has only been to the range twice, but it is a nice piece of glass with a good reticle that is very versatile.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 08-21-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added optic info
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    In addition to the ideas in the last post any thoughts on a good, entry level, lpv for my CZ527 in .223?

Would the Burris 1-4 MTAC with the Ballistic CQ reticle in low Warne QD rings be a stupid choice?

The rifle will be used as a training tool at the range and for Randy Cain's class. I might take it deer hunting in NC, where .223 is legal, but this is more of a training/experimental platform for me than a hunting rifle.

Edit to add that the scope will be in addition to a rds on a QD mount.
    Last edited by sharps54; 08-31-2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: To finish my thought

I have a 1-4 Leupold VX/R Hog Hunter on an AR. Seems solid so far.
    Last edited by BobM; 08-31-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have a 1-4 Leupold VX/R Hog Hunter on an AR. Seems sold so far.
    I looked at that one as well, about $150 more which is fine. Now that I compare it and the MTAC I see the Leupold is shorter and lighter which would be nice.

I guess my question with the Leupold is one better off with the simpler "pig plex" reticle or the more standard reticle in the VX-R Patrol 1.25-4
    Last edited by sharps54; 08-31-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: to ask about Leupold reticles

Site Supporter
    OK, I have the CZ527 .223 Youth and my Leupold VX-R Hog Hunter scope arrived yesterday. I also bought a rail which works great with a red dot but was just high enough to block the rear sight. I want to use the factory sights as my back ups for now so I'm going to just use QD rings for the scope. I'm thinking Warne mediums. Should I be looking at anything else before I order those?

Also if anyone is interested the Strike Hard Gear Mosin buttstock pouch fits the CZ magazines perfectly. For the cost it is an option worth looking at.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    ...I don't know why the mag causes the bolt to jam if you put upward pressure on it. I mean, it obviously moves upward, but I don't know why that slop is there unless the 10rnd mag isn't 100% compatible with that bottom metal. As I said, as long as you don't press on it, it works fine. I discovered it by accident while holding the gun by the mag and cycling the bolt. I've never had it happen while shooting. Maybe it's simple user error...
    Thread necro...I figured this out. It was a bad magazine. It eventually failed on me, and Savage replaced it. The new magazine doesn't cause the problem described above.

Chris

User Tag List