Thread: Light and sling adapter for my AR...

Site Supporter

Light and sling adapter for my AR...

Hi all,

I'm just about done setting up my AR. I just mounted a Tango Down short vertical grip on my 13" BCM KMR rail, and it makes a world of difference in comfort and control. I'm now looking to add a light and a sling adapter.

For the light...

I was originally thinking about getting an Inforce WML Gen 2 and mounting it at 12 o'clock on the top rail. This is still my preferred option due to the ease of use activating the light with either hand and the 12 o'clock location. That light just makes a lot of sense to me, operationally. I still question how much of my view will be obstructed by it in that location, though. I currently have an Aimpoint PRO mounted on the rifle using the factory mount, so it's an "absolute co-witness" height, rather than lower 1/3. What is your experience here? For my non-operator needs, I also think the new Gen 2 Inforce WML will be as reliable as I need.

But I'm also throwing around the idea of a more traditional light mounted offset at around 11 o'clock. What light and mount do you recommend for that application? I'd like a light in the 250-400 lumen range, and able to be mounted as tightly close to the KMR rail as possible. I'd likely use a push button to activate it with my thumb while my hand is on the vertical grip, but a pressure switch mounted at 12 o'clock is not out of the question. As for mounts, I was considering mounting it on the top rail with an offset, but a mount utilizing the direct keymod interface is fine too. Budget is around the same as the Inforce, plus the mount. What are the tried and true go-to options here that just work really well?

For the sling adapter...

I currently have my Blue Force Gear Vickers sling mounted on my B5 Systems SOPMOD Bravo stock and on the front of the KMR rail using a BCM QD socket. I'd like to try a different rear location (as well as possibly move the front location). I'm looking for a sling adapter I can mount around the castle nut similar to the Tango Down PR4, but a mount that is also rotation-limited. What options do I have? The Troy PGRSA and Daniel Defense EZ Carbine adapter look good. In fact, the DD looks to be ideal I'd say. I'd really prefer to not remove the castle nut to install a QD endplate. Besides, I'd like the option of attaching the sling to the side of the lower receiver, not the direct back of it. Additionally, what other options exist for attaching a sling in that location other than QD?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Chris

Re: lights; I ran a TLR-1 at 12 o'clock for a few years. Tucked behind a DD front sight, I never noted any field of view issues. I don't have any first hand experience with the inforce light. I believe some of their models had issues with battery drain and with poor mounting. They've released several updates products since then.
    For mounting at the one o'clock or eleven o'clock, at your desired output levels, look at the surefire m300 (or Arisaka variant) and the Streamlight rm1. I've used the Arisaka inline mount on a KMR with both a rm2 and m600. It's a solid, very low profile mount.

Sling mounts: I run mine on the stock, so I can't help much there. I used a pr-4 in the past without issue. Front mount is the same BCM unit you have. Over time I've moved the front mount from just in front of the receiver on the rail to far end of the rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caveat... I am not a door kicker or a cop or prior mil, but I've trained with all of the above. For lights, for 12 o'clock mount, I like the Surefire X300 in front of a fixed front sight. I would probably get a lower 1/3 mount in that instance. Otherwise, I would look at the Proctor direct mount for KeyMod and use it with a Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount if your budget does not support Surefire Scout.

Regarding sling mounts at the castle nut... I've used both the Troy mount that positions the QD on the side as well as the BCM endplate that has the QD below the buffer tube. I vastly prefer the latter, and by it's very nature and position the QD is rotation limited. The sling swivel will not clear the buffer tube, so it can't fully rotate. With the QD on the side, the rifle hung funky when slung and my knuckles banged on the mount. Removing and reinstalling the castle nut and endplate is a relatively simply matter.
    Last edited by LJP; 08-15-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm just about done setting up my AR. I just mounted a Tango Down short vertical grip on my 13" BCM KMR rail, and it makes a world of difference in comfort and control. I'm now looking to add a light and a sling adapter.

For the light...

I was originally thinking about getting an Inforce WML Gen 2 and mounting it at 12 o'clock on the top rail. This is still my preferred option due to the ease of use activating the light with either hand and the 12 o'clock location. That light just makes a lot of sense to me, operationally. I still question how much of my view will be obstructed by it in that location, though. I currently have an Aimpoint PRO mounted on the rifle using the factory mount, so it's an "absolute co-witness" height, rather than lower 1/3. What is your experience here? For my non-operator needs, I also think the new Gen 2 Inforce WML will be as reliable as I need.

But I'm also throwing around the idea of a more traditional light mounted offset at around 11 o'clock. What light and mount do you recommend for that application? I'd like a light in the 250-400 lumen range, and able to be mounted as tightly close to the KMR rail as possible. I'd likely use a push button to activate it with my thumb while my hand is on the vertical grip, but a pressure switch mounted at 12 o'clock is not out of the question. As for mounts, I was considering mounting it on the top rail with an offset, but a mount utilizing the direct keymod interface is fine too. Budget is around the same as the Inforce, plus the mount. What are the tried and true go-to options here that just work really well?

For the sling adapter...

I currently have my Blue Force Gear Vickers sling mounted on my B5 Systems SOPMOD Bravo stock and on the front of the KMR rail using a BCM QD socket. I'd like to try a different rear location (as well as possibly move the front location). I'm looking for a sling adapter I can mount around the castle nut similar to the Tango Down PR4, but a mount that is also rotation-limited. What options do I have? The Troy PGRSA and Daniel Defense EZ Carbine adapter look good. In fact, the DD looks to be ideal I'd say. I'd really prefer to not remove the castle nut to install a QD endplate. Besides, I'd like the option of attaching the sling to the side of the lower receiver, not the direct back of it. Additionally, what other options exist for attaching a sling in that location other than QD?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Chris
    I'll begin by saying I'm just a civilian and have very little time behind my rifle but I can offer some insight into the setup you asked about because it is what I have on my rifle.

I have an aimpoint pro with the stock mount and a gen 2 inforce wml mounted at 12.

There are no issues with my view being obstructed by the light.

I have no formal training with a carbine but I have practiced and dry fired a lot with the light. I wish I would've gone with a brighter light. Yes it is bright but I see why people want all the lumens after practicing around my house with it.

Also I think a pressure pad is much easier to activate. The small switch pad gives very little room for error.

But maybe I just suck with it (that's a very real possibility).

Just one noobs experience with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Light and sling adapter for my AR...

Arisaka Defense makes some rather excellent mounts for the popular lights and additionally they have the Malkoff Scout heads and bodies.

Last edited by bravo7; 08-15-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Saker!
    #RESIST

I am also a big fan of Arisaka and Malkoff. I have their mounts and lights on three carbines now, and am impressed with how well they work, and how little real estate they take up.

Another Malkoff fan here. You can drop these things off a cliff and they keep on working.

I like using hand held lights in the WML role. Compared to a dedicated WML, they are certainly not as light or compact but provide the option to quickly-easily remove (without tools) to (1) swap lights; (2) remove from the weapon when not needed or (3) to use hand held. The Malkoff M61T MD2 (TIR optic, 350 lumens/12,000 lux) on the top and the Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 (900 lumens/29,000 lux) below (I own more than a few high-end lights and the Hound Dog 18650 is my favorite);

User Tag List