Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quincy Smith OIS - How do we learn from it?

Completely agree with all the statements here. Why the hell are you approaching a supposed armed person with a taser. You already know it's not going to work worth a damn on that big puffy jacket anyway. Should have been a long gun deployment from the start.

To me the officer is a perfect example of mindset failure. Why are you begging the radio to help you? No one is going to help you, so help your damn self. Get in that car and drive your ass towards the hospital code 3. Get up and fight for your life.

I have not watched the entire video, and would like to review it from the beginning. Early thoughts:

1. The Taser was a poor choice for dealing with a suspect wearing a jacket that could prevent optimal contact by the darts.

2. Well, the suspect did finally comply with the demand to remove that hand from that pocket. I tell my trainees to never use those famous last words, unless we have distance and/or hard cover in our favor.

3. If realistically available, I would have waited for back-up, rather than closing to within contact distance. Non-compliance, plus hand(s) in pocket(s), is not something to handle alone. (I know some officers must work without realistically available back-up.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-15-2017 at 09:14 PM.

At the end of the day, a large percentage of cops are just not mentally prepared to pull the trigger. There are a number of reasons for this, including the recent social expectation and a general officer friendly attitude. Mostly, they never expect "it" to happen to them. "It" always happens to someone else. This articles does a pretty good job of summarizing the traits that tend to get officers killed. I no longer have a copy or a link to the original study and report.

It's not all about training. A lot of this is having a warrior mentality and frankly, thats not who most agencies want to hire now.

https://www.poam.net/train-and-educate/train-educate/
    Last edited by LSP552; 08-15-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    At the end of the day, a large percentage of cops are just not mentally prepared to pull the trigger. There are a number of reasons for this, including the recent social expectation and a general officer friendly attitude. Mostly, they never expect "it" to happen to them. "It" always happens to someone else. This articles does a pretty good job of summarizing the traits that tend to get officers killed. I no longer have a copy or a link to the original study and report.

It's not all about training. A lot of this is having a warrior mentality and frankly, thats not who most agencies want to hire now.

https://www.poam.net/train-and-educate/train-educate/
    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/policec...-readahead.pdf

Here's a link to the old red book, "Violent encounters : a study of felonious assaults on our nation's law enforcement officers"
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List