Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benelli M2 Tactical 14 inch

Benelli M2 Tactical 14 inch

I was looking to get a semi-auto shotgun to SBS. The Beretta 1301 tactical looked promising but I guess you can't shorten the barrel. My LGS has a blue label Benelli M2 tactical 14" with a pistol grip for $999. I've seen that gun on the wall for the last year. No cop in Phoenix or Scottsdale is buying that. I have semi-auto Berettas for hunting but I know nothing about Benellis. The guy said he would sell it to me at that price. Should I jump on it without ever firing shot and trust that it is going to be good? Waiting 9-12 months (hopefully shorter by now) for a form 4 is a long time to be disappointed.

Last edited by Paul D; 08-14-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I was looking to get a semi-auto shotgun to SBS. The Beretta 1301 tactical looked promising but I guess you can't shorten the barrel. My LGS has a blue label Benelli M2 tactical 14" with a pistol grip for $999. I've seen that gun on the wall for the last year. No cop in Phoenix or Scottsdale is buying that. I have semi-auto Berettas for hunting but I know nothing about Benellis. The guy said he would sell it to me at that price. Should I jump on it without ever firing shot and trust that it is going to be good? Waiting 9-12 months (hopefully shorter by now) for a form 4 is a long time to be disappointed.

That is a good price, and is the model my number two 14 inch Benelli is based on. What I did to mine was add a Scalarworks mount and T2, Nordic plus 2 (as the Benelli extension has a thingee that can be dislodged turning your shotgun into a one shot), drill the fore end for a Nordic sling mount and light rail), and the expensive part which is add a compact Comfortech stock. An alternative would be to buy a M2 tactical 18 inch with Comfortech for $1,299, form one it, and have use of the shotgun while waiting for the paperwork.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Name:  IMG_2310.jpg
Views: 2576
Size:  23.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is a good price, and is the model my number two 14 inch Benelli is based on. What I did to mine was add a Scalarworks mount and T2, Nordic plus 2 (as the Benelli extension has a thingee that can be dislodged turning your shotgun into a one shot), drill the fore end for a Nordic sling mount and light rail), and the expensive part which is add a compact Comfortech stock. An alternative would be to buy a M2 tactical 18 inch with Comfortech for $1,299, form one it, and have use of the shotgun while waiting for the paperwork.
    I was thinking about getting the 18 inch model but was not sure if you can cut the barrel and move the front sight back. Maybe I was confusing the M2 with the M4 action. The pull length on the pistol grip stock is a tad too long the comb is tad too low. Your idea about converting a 18 inch gun is probably better. Thanks!
    Last edited by Paul D; 08-14-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I was thinking about getting the 18 inch model but was not sure if you can cut the barrel and move the front sight back. Maybe I was confusing the M2 with the M4 action. The pull length on the pistol grip stock is a tad too long the comb is tad too low. Your idea about converting a 18 inch gun is probably better. Thanks!
    That pistol grip stock beat the crap out of me with slugs, and the Comfortech is far better. Do you want a 14? If so, and if you wanted to run the new Aimpoint S1, which is low mounted on the vent rib, you could get a 21 inch M2 field, as the spacing is perfect to cut the vent rib barrel back to 14.

I found one here in Texas that was a police trade-in. Definitely not new, but I can do a Form 4 and hopefully have it in less than a year.

George, thanks for the info regarding recommended upgrades. I'm definitely going with a shorter stock, rather than the factory boat oar.

Paul, I'd be very curious on any timing differences between a Form 1 and a Form 4. Do they still go to the same examiners? The last time I heard, they were all being processed by state. But that was about two tears ago, I think.

Since the M2 is inertial, instead of gas like the M4, cutting the barrel is reported as fine. My 21 cut to 14 has been 100 percent reliable.

Paul, here is a little bit of Benelli love with that 14 inch model you pictured:

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That pistol grip stock beat the crap out of me with slugs, and the Comfortech is far better. Do you want a 14? If so, and if you wanted to run the new Aimpoint S1, which is low mounted on the vent rib, you could get a 21 inch M2 field, as the spacing is perfect to cut the vent rib barrel back to 14.
    Oh, yeah. I forgot about the S1. Is there a way to but a front sight on a chopped rib of that barrel? I would like some type of back up sights and the cost between the two (field vs tactical) is the same. By the way they had this Nova SBS for $399 which is cheaper than a Remmy 870. I already have two 870P 14" SBS so I wasn't tempted as much.

My 21 field cut to 14 has a big fiber optic front, which actually works well and is easy to have installed. That is all many of the 3 gunners use, although I want the S1 for precise placement of slugs.

I have a 14 Nova, and I look like a monkey humping a football trying to get that to run fast. I am way better with an 870.

User Tag List