Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitch Rosen American Rear Guard (Formerly Ayoob Rear Guard)

Mitch Rosen American Rear Guard (Formerly Ayoob Rear Guard)

I have recently acquired one of these for a pistol I do not have YET, but was left scratching my head a bit when trying to figure out how it's designed to be carried exactly. There is what I would consider a very high degree of rearward cant, so it would appear to be meant to be worn more towards the small of back.

Holster body is pretty much flat like a pancake with the rearward flap under the IWB loop not having any curve at all to contour to hug the hip. I have a Mitch Rosen Sport Express Holster & Express Belt so I know Mitch's shop makes some very fine leather, no question as to the quality of the work at all. That being said anybody with experience with this holster?

Name:  IMG_0152.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  99.9 KBName:  IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  82.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 07-12-2019 at 12:12 PM.

No personal experience, but a friend had one some years ago and he wore it at about 4:30 .... well behind the hip.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I have recently acquired one of these for a pistol I do not have YET, but was left scratching my head a bit when trying to figure out how it's designed to be carried exactly. There is what I would consider a very high degree of rearward cant, so it would appear to be meant to be worn more towards the small of back.

Holster body is pretty much flat like a pancake with the rearward flap under the IWB loop not having any curve at all to contour to hug the hip. I have a Mitch Rosen Sport Express Holster & Express Belt so I know Mitch's shop makes some very fine leather, no question as to the quality of the work at all. That being said anybody with experience with this holster?

Name:  IMG_0152.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  99.9 KBName:  IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  82.0 KB
    I wore them for years with 1911's and Glock's. I wore them just behind the hip at 3:30. It will curve to your body with some use and time.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

@Mas would surely have some experience with that holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    @Mas would surely have some experience with that holster.
    I designed it for 3:30 carry, and still use it as such.

I acquired one (from a bank robber’s estate sale, which is a fun piece of KC shooting history) in the 90s and wore it quite a bit. Most people wear holsters too far back, because they can’t see how badly it’s concealing. The arg needed to be snugged up to my 3:00 loop, which puts it right at 3:30. I wear other IWB (like the Milt Sparks executive companion, which became my main holster until AIWB) over or in front of the loop to be at 3:00.

It was a good holster for a narrow slide. I don’t know if I’d love it for a ‘modern’ gun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Nice!

I see you are going to acquire an HK USP Compact. Great gun.

I had a few over the years. I feel they worked best, for me, 4:00-4:30.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    No personal experience, but a friend had one some years ago and he wore it at about 4:30 .... well behind the hip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    I designed it for 3:30 carry, and still use it as such.
    I suspect semantics may be the culprit here, but my friend wore his (what I described as 4:30 and worked well for him) about where you're wearing yours in this blog photo;

https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...e-of-practice/
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I have used an ARG and the ARG-DL with a 1911-pattern pistol mostly when wearing a suit. I wore mine around 4:00, definitely behind the hip. It is ideal for single-column magazine pistols. The single-loop of the original ARG design allows the gun to move a bit so as to be comfortable when changing seating or standing positions. The drawback is the draw can be inconsistent as the holster moves. I prefer the ARG-DL as it does not move but have transitioned to the Sparks VM-2 and related designs.

User Tag List