Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on considering a different platform

Todd's "Trust No One" article is very good.

Changes in models happen a lot with no announcement.

Some item that has been out a long time may have been totally fouled up by an unannounced change.

After decades of switching back and forth chasing small incremental gains, I've basically gone Glock for serious guns and everything else is for play. I've always "liked" TDA SIGs better and at one time shot them best at most things. But, at this point in my life, I've committed to Glocks for the foreseeable future. In truth, every platform has things it does best, and its a matter of picking something that maximizes the traits you want to emphasis. At 61, I've come to appreciate the lighter weight, ease of service, simplicity and the ability to find sights that work best for my old eyes.

This thread could be about my experiences.

I started shooting way back, when bullseye, and the K38 and Colt officer's model match were king.
    When I moved to NH, and started carrying, I went directly to an early Walther P99 in 40 cal.
    Being lefty, the mag release [paddle] and ergos of the firearm just worked. It was accurate in my training, shot relatively soft for a 40, and was really no bigger than a G17.
    But then I went to Glocks, , first a 23, then transitioned to a 17. It shot well for me, but certainly no better than the 40 in as much as accuracy, and switching platforms totally threw any training I had done right out the door.
    I stayed with the 17 for a few years, but hopped again right back to the P99, this time in 9mm.
    Again the ergos work better for me, but do not give me any measurable, palpable advantage accuracy wise over the G17.
    I'm settled in on the P99 now coming up on two years now. I'm still learning all of my faults with it, as well as my gains. The more I practice with it, the quicker my times get, but certainly not because of switching, but more because of sticking with one gun.

As said by someone earlier, switching the platform will give you no measurable advantage. I know it first hand. Switching was just a diversion in training and focus.
    What it does do is drain the gun funds from new holsters, extra mags and gear.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I have had platform changes forced on me in the form of agencies I work for buying new guns all the time.

I've gone from personal......

1911s
    Beretta 92F
    Sig 225, 226
    Back to Beretta 92
    back to 1911.....

Then professionally.........

Beretta 96
    Glock 23
    Back to Beretta 92s
    Smith M&P
    Glock 17

I would estimate that overall, my performance with all these guns was razor thin close to each other. My biggest scar was with the Sigs trying to hit the slide release and drop the slide on reloads and hitting the decocker instead. So I started the overhand slingshot thing..... and that would engage the slide mounted safety on my first LE issued Beretta 96.

So for me, it's had to evolve over the last nearly three decades plus of carrying pistols both on and off duty.

Want to really hose my game up? Make me change holster platforms........about the time I get lightning fast and smooth with a holster platform, they issue me something new. That always requires hundreds of practice draws to get past the old style holster. Good grief I hate when they give me a new holster.

Went from front break level 2s to a personally purchased SS III and I got so used to rocking that gun back to complete the draw that when they gave me the new style, it took forever to break my habit of hitting that back strap with my middle finger and rocking the gun back.

Thankfully, I have practiced hours and hours drawing from this new style holster.......the Safariland with the hood thingie......I am nearly where I want to be. Out of 100 draws, I'm only flubbing 6-8 of them. The last one they gave me was light bearing so while I had the release mechanism somewhat down, adding the weapon light made my re-holstering totally inept. Had to start back over with that aspect.

Change is possible.....but it always requires additional time spent adapting yourself to it.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    After decades of switching back and forth chasing small incremental gains, I've basically gone Glock for serious guns and everything else is for play. I've always "liked" TDA SIGs better and at one time shot them best at most things. But, at this point in my life, I've committed to Glocks for the foreseeable future. In truth, every platform has things it does best, and its a matter of picking something that maximizes the traits you want to emphasis. At 61, I've come to appreciate the lighter weight, ease of service, simplicity and the ability to find sights that work best for my old eyes.
    My thoughts exactly. Love shooting my TDA sigs and others but glock just always wins in the ease of carry catagory. It doesn't hurt that it's an extremely solid and reliable platform with tons of aftermarket support. I just kind of figured, why fight it anymore, it just works for me. As someone who carries aiwb, the gadget has made it a pretty easy decision.
    Last edited by Dismas316; 09-01-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Over the last day or so, I thought it would be helpful for my own evaluation process, to lay out my desired criteria in a lower 48 EDC. These are only my own criteria, and not a suggestion these are proper for others. They are not in order of importance.

Have a hammer, probably be DA/SA.

Be 9mm, but ideally also be available in .40 for possible field use.

Weigh between 20-30 ounces empty.

Hold at least 15 cartridges in 9mm.

Have a grip that draws well.

Have either Trijicon HD or similar Ameriglo sights available.

Be fast up close.

Be accurate in the 50-100 yard envelope, extra sight radius a plus as it helps my eyes at distance.

Be out long enough to be thoroughly tested with a reputation for reliability.

Be comfortable AIWB, and supported by JM.

Be from a company that is known for customer support.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Still with Glock. I have a few M&Ps (Shield, 45) because of the things they offer that glock doesn't (slim 10rd .45, single stack 9mm before the 43 existed) but frankly they really don't shoot all that differently. I'll probably never fully leave Glocks or jump into another handgun, as much as I am tempted. Too many other fiscal priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Over the last day or so, I thought it would be helpful for my own evaluation process, to lay out my desired criteria in a lower 48 EDC. These are only my own criteria, and not a suggestion these are proper for others. They are not in order of importance.

Have a hammer, probably be DA/SA.

Be 9mm, but ideally also be available in .40 for possible field use.

Weigh between 20-30 ounces empty.

Hold at least 15 cartridges in 9mm.

Have a grip that draws well.

Have either Trijicon HD or similar Ameriglo sights available.

Be fast up close.

Be accurate in the 50-100 yard envelope, extra sight radius a plus as it helps my eyes at distance.

Be out long enough to be thoroughly tested with a reputation for reliability.

Be comfortable AIWB, and supported by JM.

Be from a company that is known for customer support.
    Looks like the spec sheet from the P30.

I have a lot of platforms as I like to shoot different things and I also collect "wondernines". But my tool platforms are just two, P30 and Glock. I still shoot lots of other guns as I believe I should be able to run any decent service handgun, and it is fun to try new guns. But my "practice" shooting is all P30 and Glock. What I have learned is that I can shoot most anything okay (<5" ten-shot groups at 25 yards), one or two things well (less than 3" ten-shot groups at 25 yards), and nothing as well I as wish I could (less than 1" ten-shot groups at 25 yards). The only exception to that is my RRA Bullseye gun with an UltraDot. As an older Bullseye shooter, my performance criteria is group size. My "speed" shooting is nothing fast -- at least compared to the locals with whom I shoot. But my group sizes are usually smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post

I have a lot of platforms as I like to shoot different things and I also collect "wondernines". But my tool platforms are just two, P30 and Glock. I still shoot lots of other guns as I believe I should be able to run any decent service handgun, and it is fun to try new guns. But my "practice" shooting is all P30 and Glock. What I have learned is that I can shoot most anything okay (<5" ten-shot groups at 25 yards), one or two things well (less than 3" ten-shot groups at 25 yards), and nothing as well I as wish I could (less than 1" ten-shot groups at 25 yards). The only exception to that is my RRA Bullseye gun with an UltraDot. As an older Bullseye shooter, my performance criteria is group size. My "speed" shooting is nothing fast -- at least compared to the locals with whom I shoot. But my group sizes are usually smaller.

Funny you say that.

Putting the criteria down helped me narrow my thinking on this. Yesterday, back in town briefly, I looked through my safe, and the pistols I had not previously considered, were a DA/SA match trigger USP FS and a P30L DA/SA, perfectly set up by a forum member, with an excellent trigger and the set of HD sights that escaped the factory without the rear being sharpened. After shooting both, the P30L met all my criteria. Funny thing, the grip is very similar to the PPQ.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime

Thoughts on considering a different platform

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I was just rereading @GJM's post and thinking about it. The P30 was the only gun that came to mind that met his criteria.

The V3 P2000 is good but just shy on capacity.

The PX4C would be a strong runner up.

P99 is in there as well, but not hammer fired still can be run DA/SA.

Weight requirements rule out anything full metal IMO.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 09-09-2017 at 01:29 PM.

User Tag List