Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on considering a different platform

Thoughts on considering a different platform

One thing that's been a positive outcome of the 320 fiasco is that I've come to appreciate Glocks even more. Some of you may have followed my CCW journey from Glock to Sig 320 and back again to Glock (well before the drop fire issue). I suppose I had to dive down that rabbit hole to learn that Glocks are the best CCW for me. But a platform shift is an expensive, time consuming pain in the ass. I planned to avoid repeating this if possible, and here I am again, buying a CZ. [emoji1]
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-14-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    and here I am again, buying a CZ.
    I foresee a platform consolidation to a one gun.

G19 for carry, Shadow 2 for USPSA. That's a one gun, no?
    Last edited by YVK; 08-14-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I've played with quite a few different makes and models over the years, but my "using" stuff has pretty well stayed Beretta TDAs. I've tried to be the "one gun warrior" but I've got a little too much gun ADD for it to really stick. I'll say that it has probably stunted my progress a little bit, but I've enjoyed it overall and had a great deal of fun.

One thing that has been nice about it is that I've got a pretty nice little data set comparing this to that and what I do this or that better with. And GJM is right, most of it is just small differences that pretty much cancel each other out unless upper level of USPSA is considered.

Hammertime
    I have enjoyed messing around with different guns. I can't say as I shoot any of them dominantly better than any others.

Trying a new gun keeps me interested in shooting, which in the long run makes me shoot more, and probably helps skill development over a single gun that in know intimately, but never want to shoot.

Good thread. I do the same, buy a gun on occasion, run it for a month or two and then keep it or sell. Most of my shooting is still just 1 gun but I like to take a break fron it on occassion.

Clusterfrack, do you see that 10% gain in practice and matches? I made a USPSA gun switch twice now (miserable experiences that I have no intention of repeating) and I saw big gains in PRs but not so much at matches until I shot the new gun long enough that I could not tell if it was me getting better or the gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    I'd very much like to read the details of your epiphany. Anyway, we need another thread on the 9mm vs .45.

I thought my arthritis was making my strings bigger with my .45, getting old and all that. Switched to the 9mm H&KP30SK. Ran into an old friend at the range who, after watching me, cured my problem. It seems I had "wandering thumbs," which he fixed within minutes. The ragged holes were back, with the very same gun I used to carry, a G 30 S. Not the first time I've made a total ass of myself here at pf. That's it.

Thoughts on considering a different platform

That's a hard question to answer because of confounding factors like possibly more intense practice, and the covariate of time.

When I do scored drills like classifiers, I see about a 10% improvement. Another example is when I ran the Gabe White drills with a G19 and a p320c. I had more Turbo runs with the 320, and the times were better. E.g. I shot 4B2H at 2.44s with the Sig 320c and. 2.56s with the G19.

In matches--man that's hard to know given that I shot the 320 exclusively for the last two years. I do think the 320 is a significant advantage for me--especially on tough high risk targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Good thread. I do the same, buy a gun on occasion, run it for a month or two and then keep it or sell. Most of my shooting is still just 1 gun but I like to take a break fron it on occassion.

Clusterfrack, do you see that 10% gain in practice and matches? I made a USPSA gun switch twice now (miserable experiences that I have no intention of repeating) and I saw big gains in PRs but not so much at matches until I shot the new gun long enough that I could not tell if it was me getting better or the gun.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-15-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Shaking out new platforms can be fun and exciting. However for serious work with the handguns I want the one that works, the one that I have 10s of thousand rounds through. The one that I have been tested with in all conditions in every possible position. This gives me trust and confidence in this platform and to do all of that takes a lot of time measured in years. My early training years was in the 80s when I was running the 1911 platform and had no interest in changing because I trusted MY 1911s and had no interest to change until I was issued a Glock 22. Fast forward many years, I have that same confidence in the Glock platform because I have many 10s of thousands rounds through them, have been tested in all conditions and is my preferred platform because of that. I think sometimes we just want something new but sometimes we have to make work with what we already have as long as the gun works.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That's a hard question to answer because of confounding factors like possibly more intense practice, and the covariate of time.

When I do scored drills like classifiers, I see about a 10% improvement. Another example is when I ran the Gabe White drills with a G19 and a p320c. I had more Turbo runs with the 320.

In matches--man that's hard to know given that I shot the 320 exclusively for the last two years. I do think the 320 is a significant advantage for me--especially on tough high risk targets.
    When I switched from Glock to the heavy DA/SA gun my 15 yard + game took immediate jumps in improvement but it has impacted short distance hosing with lots of gun handling tasks. I, like a lot of competitors, often put a large amount effort into improving those hard shots at speed. I went to a gun that makes those really challenging tasks easier and it shows in practice but at a match where the majority of the shooting is in general easy it didn't really show a difference in the scores.

One lesson I leared the hard way;brand new firearms have a universal 10 year beta test period. Ignore it at ones own peril.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List