Thread: Hogue G10 "Factory Seconds" Grips

Hogue G10 "Factory Seconds" Grips

Recently, I decided to upgrade the grips on two of my classic single-actions, my Colt Series 70 Stainless Reproduction and my FN Hi Power Mk III. Over the years, I've been pretty satisfied with the grips provided by Hogue, so they were my first choice, after looking over the host of pretty wide choices available.

The Colt first. This was a gun provided to me by my wife for an anniversary; while it's special for that alone, it's also used for carry and IDPA, and occasionally for duty. The gun is stock; the only change I've made was to paint the front sight face white to speed sight acquisition and aiming. The OEM grips were a nice set of rosewoods, allegedly from Herretts. The had a nice color and grain figuring, but I wanted something a bit less vulnerable to wear and life's vicissitudes, as well as something a bit "grippier." Aesthetically, I wanted to retain the classic double-diamond and checkered motif, but I also wanted something that would work well with the stainless steel of the gun.

Since my grips would come out of my overall shooting budget, affordability was also important. For some time, Hogue has had a "Factory Seconds" category of grip offerings for various pistols, citing that they likely had some minor cosmetic blemishes but operationally were completely uncompromised. Looking through the site, I found these: https://www.hogueinc.com/45178-facto...d-od-green-g10
    I liked the OD and gray combination; the OD memorialized my Army service, and the gray/gray green seemed to go well with the stainless finish-and they were at a great price of $41.97 Upon their arrival, I immediately installed them, and am exceptionally pleased. While the "OD Green" is actually more of a Foliage Green to my eye, it works aesthetically exceptionally well, and fit and function were superb. I could find absolutely no cosmetic blemished or flaws.

http://imgur.com/a/xLVYR

Next, the Hi Power. My Hi Power is a 2003 production .40, a MK III with the black epoxy finish and FN rollmarkings (which I really like, especially the stylized "FN" logo on the left side of the slide. Mine was one of the ones that FN USA dumped on the market when they decided around 2006 or so to surrender Hi Power marketing and sales to Browning, so for a brief window in time you could get BNIB Hi Powers for literally about half of what they were subsequently marketed for. My Hi Power is used for both occassional carry, duty and IDPA (in the Enhanced Service Pistol division). On a previous Hi Power, I had Craig Spegel make a magnificent set of Kingwood grips-the only problem was, magnificent as they were, they were just a bit too thin for my hand, and with them my triggerfinger protruded too far past the trigger for a fast, natural index. Subsequently, my Hi Power default grip has been Hogue's rubber fingergroove grip; https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/browning/hi-power/rubber They're definitely well-made and fit me quite well, but they have a distinctly, well, utilitarian look, and I frankly wanted to have an effective grip, but to dress up my Hi Power a bit (perhaps in commemoration of the recently announced discontinuation of Hi Power production by FN). Again, after some searching and research, I again ventured to see what Hogue had in their "Factory Seconds" offerings, and I found this, also in G10: https://www.hogueinc.com/09178-facto...ered-green-g10 I asked for, and received a set that had a bit more of a black color emphasis, to blend them in a bit with the black epoxy finish of my Mk III. The grips, as I found on the earlier set for my Colt Series 70 were superb. The coloration certainly (at least in my opinion) works well, and the G10 material provides an intrinsically grippy texture, with kind of a "chalky" feel. Ideally, the finish characteristics and checkering will make up for and offset the slipperiness of the bare front strap and back strap. These grips were priced at $55.97, in comparison to the currently marketed "first," a checkered green G-Mascus G10 priced at $80. Since I prefer the more classic appearance on the Factory Second, I was a satisfied camper.

http://imgur.com/a/UfCCK

While Hogue recommends applying Blue Locktite to grip screws, what I've come to prefer is to use rubber or elastomer O-Rings ; the old standby was the #60 size available at the "big box" home improvement stores, but recently I've been using Challis' thinner, made of a higher quality, more durable material O-rings;
    http://www.challisgrips.com/c/18-Bus...cessories.aspx
    http://www.challisgrips.com/pg/17-He...-Bushings.aspx

They're quite inexpensive, and,if desired, stackable on a given screw. The prevent the screw from backing out during use, but expedite screw removal without some of the drama associated when Locktite is used (even Blue Locktite...).

Conclusions: I think that, at least in my two experiences, that the Hogue "Factory Seconds" G10 grips provide an exceptional value. They aesthetically and operationally provided me with exactly what I wanted-a more durable, but "dressier" grip appropriate to the respective pistols, and at a great price. I strongly suspect that while Hogue markets them as being potentially blemished, what is equally, if not more likely (again, at least in both of examples) that instead of being blemished or cosmetically flawed, they're more likely older color/material patterns rendered obsolete (at least to Hogue) by what they're currently producing and marketing. Perhaps a more discerning eye than mine might detect some flaws or blemishes, but they certainly look great to me, and seem very comparable finish-quality wise to their contemporarily-marketed "Firsts" from Hogue. The colors and material composition and/or patterns may also be limited runs, or experimental. At any rate, I'd strongly encourage a look at these "Factory Seconds" if you're seeking out a set of replacement grips.. While there is the potential "crapshoot" factor, in that once you buy 'em, you own 'em-on these grips Hogue states they don't accept returns-I've found the Hogue site (and Customer Service reps to be excellent. The images for the grips on the site are very accurate, and zoom-able, so you can carefully examine them before ordering. In the cas of the Hi Power grips, they stated that the grips might have either a more green or more black emphasis; I requested a set of "blacker" emphasis, and what I recieved was roughly in between the two color images on the site-I'm pleased, but I'll let you be the judge as well.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-14-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Those look great. How much thicker/fuller are the G10 HP grips as compared to the Spegels?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Those look great. How much thicker/fuller are the G10 HP grips as compared to the Spegels?
    Chuck, it's been years since I had the Spegels on a previous Hi Power, so my answer is one of these "Best as I can recollect" guesstimates. They seem to be a bit thicker, but not by a huge amount. Definitely thinner than the Herretts (which reportedly are the thickest) seem to be. About the same thickness as the Hogue rubber grips, but that's misleading, as those have the fingergrooves, which bulks them up further on the frontstrap area. Dry-fire seems promising regarding the natural index/positioning of my triggerfinger, but I won't know for certain until I live fire, which'll probably be next week at the earliest-this weekend I have our Washington State IDPA Championship match, and I've been concentrating on my Beretta 92D for it.

Here's a pretty good link for discussion of the relative currently available HP grip thicknesses: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=822209 When you read through it, while the author states that he's listed them from thinnest to thickest, his narrative discussions seem to establish that isn't necessary the case-the narrative discussion seems more accurate than the listing/discussion order. He also doesn't discuss Altamont grips, which I understand has some nice Hi Power selections as well, but I don't personally know how they stack up against the ones that are discussed-my guess would be that they're thinner than the Herretts. though.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-16-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks for the informative reply. Good link.
    The reason I asked is that, in the way back when, I had the rubber Uncle Mike's Spegel copies on my first HP, which fit well and, being rubber, were sufficiently grippy. I like my VZ Slim Pros just fine. I was considering Altamonts as well.....they offer two different sizes:

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...ning/hi-power/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List