Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MRDS white paper by Sage Dynamics

MRDS white paper by Sage Dynamics

I found this earlier today but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Gonna read it tonight. Anyone else seen this?

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc128...4a7f7925b1.pdf
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Yeah, but haven't finished it yet. Aaron certainly put the time in on this one. I was glad to see its release.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives you the tests first and the lessons later." - Oscar Wilde.
    | www.PracticalPerformance.org | Facebook | Instagram |

Most interesting thing I read in the report:

"It is worth noting that multiple battery failures occurred during testing on multiple MRDS, however all noted battery failures were with Energizer and Sony brand batteries and each failure was well before the quoted battery life of the optic they were mounted in. Duracell brand batteries have only failed when charge was exhausted to date."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

"It is worth noting that multiple battery failures occurred during testing on multiple MRDS, however all noted battery failures were with Energizer and Sony brand batteries and each failure was well before the quoted battery life of the optic they were mounted in. Duracell brand batteries have only failed when charge was exhausted to date."
    I noticed that as well. I've been using energizer w/ tape added on the back since I had some battery issues at first. Might switch to Duracell to see if that makes a difference.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

This is interesting. I was told by a Trijicon tech to actually switch to Sony because they were supposed to be a premium battery. I'll take Aaron's info over theirs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    This is interesting. I was told by a Trijicon tech to actually switch to Sony because they were supposed to be a premium battery. I'll take Aaron's info over theirs.
    That is very interesting. I'd been using this report to guide all of my battery purchasing - maybe quality varies depending on the battery size.

I finally read the whole thing. I'm impressed with the level of detail. The most interesting thing I noted was the apparent superiority of the red dot in FoF scenarios.
    Last edited by Mark D; 09-23-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I finally read the whole thing. I'm impressed with the level of detail. The most interesting thing I noted was the apparent superiority of the red dot in FoF scenarios.
    Not only that, but the number of misses between MRDS and Irons -

MRDS - 262 rounds fired, 70 misses. That's ~26.7%

Irons - 291 rounds fired, 120 misses. That's ~41.2%

In other words, in FoF scenarios, MRDS users missed with 1 in 4 rounds, while iron sight users missed with 1 in 2 rounds.

That's an insane metric and if it holds up, which I think, based on military studies on red-dots/optics use in combat it likely will - That's amazingly good data.

There is a lot to consider here, but this really primes me to make the jump back to an MRDS and go after it again.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    There is a lot to consider here, but this really primes me to make the jump back to an MRDS and go after it again.
    I'd like to do a conversion on my Gen 3 G17 (once I save up enough belly button lint). I'd probably have my current slide cut - who/where is the preferred source to do this?

1) I just ordered 20 Duracell 2932 batteries on Amazon for just over a buck a piece.

2) missing is an important metric. What I don't see is time to making the shot, which can be a significant issue.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List