Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small hands and trigger finger placement

Small hands and trigger finger placement

I shoot a Walther ppq m2. I've learned that the best placement of my finger on the trigger is to bury my finger instead of just using the tip. I'm a much better shooter when I do this. However, with my "on the small side" hands if I get a good high grip into the web of my hand, I can no longer reach the trigger enough to bury it, only to use the tip to f my finger. Generally I wind up moving my hand closer to the trigger guard and it's than offcenter on the rear of the gun.
    Here's my question- is this something I can fix to shoot a larger gun better? I'm very tempted to try a Walther pps since I can have a good grip and still bury my finger on a single stack. I can only have 10 found mags so I'm not giving up a lot in rounds vs the ppq. I don't want to try and fix a software issue with new hardware though.
    Thank you

Exactly how much less accurate are you with shooting with the tip of your finger?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Exactly how much less accurate are you with shooting with the tip of your finger?

Its noticeable, shots are pulled to the left

Details, please. How far to the left at what distance? How much of the tip are we talking? Are you consciously having to stretch just to even reach the trigger?

Just a thought, this might be a good case for actual in person instruction.

When you bury your finger to allow you to shoot well what is the problem? Are you slower on multiple shots because of your hold affecting recoil management? If it is in reaching controls can you reach the controls with the gun more centered in the web of the hand?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Details, please. How far to the left at what distance? How much of the tip are we talking? Are you consciously having to stretch just to even reach the trigger?

Just a thought, this might be a good case for actual in person instruction.

i guess around 2-3" left at around 10 yards. It's just difficult to keep a proper grip and bury my finger, so sometimes I'm readjusting my grip in the middle of multiple shots which isn't good. I've been to multiple training courses and I've learned to find a medium between grip and finger placement but it sometimes leaves me inconsistent.

Last edited by TheBigCountry; 08-14-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Didn't see my reply

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    When you bury your finger to allow you to shoot well what is the problem? Are you slower on multiple shots because of your hold affecting recoil management? If it is in reaching controls can you reach the controls with the gun more centered in the web of the hand?
    There's no problem when I bury my finger, the problem is keeping it buried while maintaining a good grip during multiple shots because it's a real stretch of my hand. Sometimes I can not bury it and shoot well, I'm just a better more consistent shooter with it buried. I can reach all the controls, it's just getting my trigger finger deep while still staying centered and high in the web of my hand that is difficult

It sounds like you need a smaller gun and some one on one instruction to help get the best out of it for your personal build/handsize. I too have short fingers and struggle to reach some triggers on double stack guns including Glocks when I use the standard hold with gun centered in web of my hand. I have adapted over the years and used a short reach trigger when I was issued Sig P226 double stack gun. I recently found the smaller reach and thinner guns of CZ P10C and Beretta APX which give the double stack capacity I prefer but have much smaller grip for easier reach of trigger while holding the gun well for recoil. Before chasing a different gun get someone who is capable of helping you with what you have and a change may not be needed. I tried for years and didn't have a problem qualifying or performing with less than optimum grip but finding a slimmer gun has been incredible for confidence and ease of improvement. Good luck. If you aren't already doing so start using a timer and some specific drills to test speed and accuracy so you can set a baseline and see what makes a difference and how much. This goes for gun and technique changes.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    It sounds like you need a smaller gun and some one on one instruction to help get the best out of it for your personal build/handsize. I too have short fingers and struggle to reach some triggers on double stack guns including Glocks when I use the standard hold with gun centered in web of my hand. I have adapted over the years and used a short reach trigger when I was issued Sig P226 double stack gun. I recently found the smaller reach and thinner guns of CZ P10C and Beretta APX which give the double stack capacity I prefer but have much smaller grip for easier reach of trigger while holding the gun well for recoil. Before chasing a different gun get someone who is capable of helping you with what you have and a change may not be needed. I tried for years and didn't have a problem qualifying or performing with less than optimum grip but finding a slimmer gun has been incredible for confidence and ease of improvement. Good luck. If you aren't already doing so start using a timer and some specific drills to test speed and accuracy so you can set a baseline and see what makes a difference and how much. This goes for gun and technique changes.
    Thank you for that reply, definitely helpful. I think I'll go handle a cz 10 and see how it feels.

Small hands and trigger finger placement

A different gun is one option. Another is hard work in dryfire to debug your trigger pull. Many M/GM and other top shooters use the middle of the pad to press the trigger. I'll try to find Surfs excellent Advanced Trigger video and link for you.

Edit: found it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L6-eJTS_5qg
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-14-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List