Thread: Shotgun shell mag tube shell followers

Site Supporter

Shotgun shell mag tube shell followers

At least one authority(kuhnhausen)has written that "heavy" followers such as those made from stainless steel will cause peening of the receiver at the point of contact. He wrote that recoil causes the follower to move forward and then slam into the receiver. Eventually, when much peening has occurred, the follower sticks and resists loading. I've heard that Remington has included this info in there training manuals. If the problem would occur with Remington shotguns, I assume that it might with others. I have noticed that Remington and Mossberg followers are light weight. Anybody heard this or have experienced it? Anybody thinks its b.s.?

I am certainly not any kind of expert, nor do I possible the knowledge of Mr. Kuhnhausen.

However, Hans Vang has been selling metal followers for decades, and I have them in four 870's with no issues observed. A small sample to be sure on my part. But I would wager Mr Vang has seen a large number of pump guns in his career.

I would also wager that 99+ percent of shotgun owners would never shoot enough rounds to make it an issue.

Site Supporter
    I agree and have the Vang in three of mine. The issue may be theoretical. I may contact a retired armorer for his opinion for purpose of research.

Site Supporter
    I will echo Mr. Student's comments. Additionally, having worked on some very high milage shotguns with metal followers, I have not seen any damage to the receiver from them even with some aluminum receivers. The only binding that I have seen associated with them was due to their snug fit and leaked buffer material. This was a one time thing and was easily remedied. The Vang product has been around for a very long time and has been used in some extremely high milage, professionally used guns. These are guns that have primarily been used with only full power OO buck and slug loads. I suspect that if inertia based peening were an issue, it would have surfaced and Mr. Vang would have addressed it.

Site Supporter
    Unless they're referring to the mag tube as the receiver, how would this even happen in volume sufficient enough to cause damage? The follower should only touch the receiver after the mag is empty, so you get one shot fired per mag that would theoretically cause damage. How many shots on an empty mag would result in damage?

Chris

Conversely, in my 3-gun 11-87, I did have a lightweight plastic follower get deformed enough to start sticking in the way described. Switched to a Nordic metal one and have not had an issue since.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

I think it's BS. It's unheard of issue with 1100 and 11-87 trap and skeet guns and those see a lot of rounds fired with an empty magazine, and at least until the late 80's all of those had steel followers.

If it's happening it's probably that heavy stack of shotgun shells in a loaded magazine peening the receiver. The vast majority of heads on shotgun shells are brass plated steel. While it's very soft steel, it's still much harder than brass.
    Last edited by txdpd; 08-25-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I think the premise is wrong for two reasons:

1) First, the physics. The heavy follower wants to stay in place, not slam into the receiver. Remember the issues with the S&W .357 Magnum Scandium alloy J-frames and heavy bullets: The inertia of the heavy bullet pulled the bullet forward, out of the case. It did not push the bullet into the case while the light gun recoiled. So how does the follower with force from the magazine spring damage the receiver? The magazine spring tends to keep the follower as far rearward as possible and dampens any movement from inertia. And the follower is light, relative to the rest of the gun -
    unlike the S&W revolver. Plus, as pointed out above, only with an empty magazine is the issue even possible.

2) Remington shipped the Model 11 throughout production with steel magazine followers. That practice carried over into the 11-48, 870, and 1100. There should be a lot of evidence of an issue with the sheer number of guns out there. My 1940s Model 11 has who knows how many rounds through it with the steel follower with no issues.

So why did Remington move to plastic followers? I assume to reduce cost and weight (if you ship a million guns, an ounce in weight reduced per gun is serious dollars, so I repeat "cost") and to add some lubricity as the steel followers can rust and freeze if the gun is not maintained.
    Last edited by farscott; 08-25-2017 at 09:32 AM.

User Tag List