Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tracking UDs

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't have any way to corroborate that and self-reporting is unreliable under the best of circumstances.
    I imagine that would be near impossible.

Also, while no or little training and practice should enhance the chances of UD, so would excessive confidence and complacency. People with latter would seem to most likely to be unreliable in self reporting.

P.S. Thanks BBI for undertaking this hard work that we all benefit from.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 08-15-2017 at 03:35 AM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    I second the type of holster: nylon, 'generic leather', kydex, 'reinforced leather'.

Also firearm type

carry position

Then a way to track the circumstances:

cleaning?
    admin handling?
    during holstering?
    storage?
    in use (I realize this is near impossible to account for but it might be good to know if something happened immediately before or after a deadly force incident to account for adrenaline dump type issues).

Just some thoughts.

Maybe a field dedicated to whether or not the shooter was the owner of the firearm?

Time of day of reported incident; morning,afternoon,evening?
    Age of owner
    Age of UD subject : if both owner and subject then mark as such.
    Documented purpose the firearm was handled- cleaning,clearing for storage,"showing off", etc.
    Estimated cost of the gun used- was it a cheap Lorcin or a custom engraved 1911,etc.

Ill gladly run some correlation ,distribution and other stats to see what the data shows. Should be informative, if not exactly Science Monthly peer reviewed.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Maybe a field dedicated to whether or not the shooter was the owner of the firearm?
    I haven't done that as a dedicated field, but it is the "comments" type section. This can get tricky with self reporting, though. Sometimes people have a legal reason to distance themselves from owning the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Time of day of reported incident; morning,afternoon,evening?
    Age of owner
    Age of UD subject : if both owner and subject then mark as such.
    Documented purpose the firearm was handled- cleaning,clearing for storage,"showing off", etc.
    Estimated cost of the gun used- was it a cheap Lorcin or a custom engraved 1911,etc.

Ill gladly run some correlation ,distribution and other stats to see what the data shows. Should be informative, if not exactly Science Monthly peer reviewed.
    I didn't track time or cost. I doubt I track cost. Honestly I'm not going to look up every gun's MSRP nor do I expect people to know it, and I'm not sure what value it has. Time seems easy enough.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I wanted to let everyone know that I won't be able to track this data for next year. I know I'd asked what information you'd like to see and how to improve the usefulness of the stats and had planned to incorporate some changes from both this thread and another on the topic. However, we've increased our staffing and have now split into specialty units. I had my choice, and elected to stay on the Robbery side of the house.

User Tag List