Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combatives Training Gear

Site Supporter

Combatives Training Gear

I need some recommendations of gear for Paul E Palooza. This will be my first multi day training and first combatives type training.
    So I am lacking in the gear category anything that is not part of my basic EDC.

I need some Kneepads, a protective cup, mouth guard, MMA gloves, and training drones for my HK P30LS, J Frame, and Clinch Pick. What would the Glock 19 of combatives/protective gear be.

I have the metal China Pick trainer will that be acceptable or do I need a rubber version?

Any other advice specific to this event or general multi day travel training would be greatly appreciated.
    My previous experience is a couple of 1 day training with @jlw and Dr. William Aprill’s Violent Criminal Actors class.

https://takknife.com/collections/nok...raining-knives

http://noktrainingknives.webs.com/

I would very strongly recommend a foam training knife if striking is expected; and not to be too shy that you won't borrow one from another if all you have is an aluminum trainer for the CP. I still feel like an asshole that last time I didn't bring mine to a class; I've since had to replace it, and gladly so. I think that having a foam training knife is more important then having it exactly match your preferred carry knife.

Definitely have a cup, and a cup that you can don without having to fully remove your pants (i.e. a cup that requires wearing a specific boxer brief); mine is a youth's baseball cup with a waist-belt sewn to it.

Whatever mouthguard you go with, please take the time to both properly fit it, but verify said fit - wear it with a relaxed jaw, wear it with a good clench, and check for issues in feet around the teeth or with your gums, so you can resolve them ahead of class.

I couldn't tell you how much you'll need out of kneepads for such a class, but if they are required or you believe they'd be of benefit, my preference is towards:
    https://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Knee...eryx+knee+pads
    https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond...amond+knee+pad
    (My older hard-shell kneepads have been consigned to when I'm doing stone-laying and brickwork, given a past career change.) The above described pads are lower in profile, conform better to most users' limbs, and can be worn above and below garments depending on your use-profile.

MMA gloves is something I have a very narrow range of experience with, so the most I can offer is an emphasis on proper fitment - if you don't intend to use them with wraps, select your sizing accordingly.

http://www.ifithermoplastics.com/pro...-guns-handguns these are my preference for oddball dummy guns; if you can get the red ASP guns, they're a bit squishier for rolling about or being struck with them.
    Last edited by runcible; 08-13-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    NOK knives were what I was trying to remember thank you.

So you are wearing the cup over your pants? That should make quite the fashion statement! Does that work well?

The kneepads were a listed recommendation and I have been thinking of getting a pair anyway. Those looks interesting thanks.

They have my model in the blue gun too!

Negative on Superman-styling the cup; I pop my belt, shove the cup in, fasten the cup's belt, and then refasten the trouser belt.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    Gotcha that makes much more sense!

After a year-long hiatus, I'll be resuming BJJ in a couple weeks now that my gf has received her 2nd vaccine. This time I want to stop tempting fate and get a mouthguard for protection against accidental elbows/knees to the face. Also want to do some ECQC stuff with the likes of Cecil and Southnarc and the like. Will I be well served with a basic boil and bite or do I need a more professional one?
    This one is a customized one on Amazon, but I notice no dental warranty

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01...B73Qp13NParams

Any insight/recommendations are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    After a year-long hiatus, I'll be resuming BJJ in a couple weeks now that my gf has received her 2nd vaccine. This time I want to stop tempting fate and get a mouthguard for protection against accidental elbows/knees to the face. Also want to do some ECQC stuff with the likes of Cecil and Southnarc and the like. Will I be well served with a basic boil and bite or do I need a more professional one?
    This one is a customized one on Amazon, but I notice no dental warranty

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01...B73Qp13NParams

Any insight/recommendations are appreciated!

Take the time to get a custom one from a dentist. Pain in the ass and costs more, but worth the potential savings down the line. Take this as gospel from someone who paid $2k in dental fees after a spastic white belt cracked in in the mouth with his elbow while I was talking to him and coaching him on what to do.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Take the time to get a custom one from a dentist. Pain in the ass and costs more, but worth the potential savings down the line. Take this as gospel from someone who paid $2k in dental fees after a spastic white belt cracked in in the mouth with his elbow while I was talking to him and coaching him on what to do.
    I appreciate that sir! Since you're sorta local to me, do you know of any specific dentists that are particularly good for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    do you know of any specific dentists that are particularly good for this?
    Assuming you're in the Phx valley area (my bad for chiming in if I'm way off here), Charles "Chuck" Gatti, DDS is a BJJ black belt and dentist. He makes the mouthguards for the MMA Lab MMA and BJJ guys for the last decade or so. Great dentist, very nice guy, and serious BJJ hobbyist.

You can also do a mail order custom one. Personally I like www.opro.com They send you a kit that you use to make your impression at home and mail it back to them for them to make your custom guard. Tightest/best fitting mouthguards I've had and I've had dentist ones, boil and bite ones, and several mail order impression kit ones. I would go Opro again if I was getting another one made.

The big advantage of a custom guard is that you don't notice it when it's in. Guys always want to spit out their boil and bites when they get winded. I could run miles for time with an Opro in and never notice it.

As for cups, I'd go Shockdoctor Titan alloy cup. You won't need the metal cup but it's the most comfortable one they make with the gel flex edging. Use their compression shorts with built in cup pocket. This was the most comfortable set-up I found in a few decades of combat sports.