Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire .22LR question

Quote Originally Posted by busykngt View Post
    Yeah, I took a shovel to a juvenile (still had the yellow flash on it's tail) on the back porch, earlier in the Spring. Then was grilling out in the back yard July 4th and half way through gettin' the burgers done, looked down about six feet away and another copperhead was busy sunning himself (or herself) in the warm sun but that one got away before I could get the shovel. So yeah, it's a *real* problem this year... it's Texas!
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    Sounds like the perfect time for a barbeque gun. Unless it would alarm your neighbors to be wearing a large revolver. That 8 3/8" nickel 17 would look nice in a nice leather OWB rig
    Last edited by Bobcat; 08-12-2017 at 11:52 PM.

On the Rough Riders you can get it as a convertible (both LR and WMR cylinders) or just a LR only. Even the convertibles are not very expensive. They can be had in 9-shot models too but I can't recall if that's just for .22LR or if you can get a 9-shot convertible also.

Site Supporter
    Ruger Single Action .22s shoot well, and you can't wear one out. A used specimen in excellent condition would serve you well.

Most pragmatic tools would be rat poison for squirrels and a high-end short-handled barbecue hoe w sharpened edge!

FWIW, .22 Mag shot loads are more effective than LR. Sound like the crack of doom, however. If that nickel 17 was a 48, I'd buy it.

Have 5.5-in. Ruger SS Single-Six w Mag cylinder w 2 rounds CCI shot up first whilst traipsing my 40-acre wooded property in another county this time of year.

To be safer killing suburban squirrels they must be on the ground and have safe back stop.

RImfire rounds ricochet easily on summer dry earth in TN.

Quiet & Colibri rounds drop like turds in a well, and would be more problematic in handguns. Also quite a bit noisier in handguns.

We use an AAC Aviator w subsonic Eley HPs on .22 rifles for mammal and bird pests in backyard.

Youngest son has a Cold Steel long-handled Kukri head machete leaning near backdoor in case a poison snake ever shows up
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 08-13-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

I'll add a recommendation for the 6" Ruger Single Six, which is an excellent SA .22LR, and comes with both standard and .22 Magnum barrels.

It's on the heavy side, but is accordingly essentially recoil-less, and quite accurate.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I killed give or take 100 rattlesnakes over a couple of years, I have shot them with everything from NAA minis to. 300wm (no shit), used golf clubs , rocks, etc. My favorite is a piece of black poly pipe, and if I'm using a gun, a snubbie .38. Used lots of .22lr shotshells, they are ok. Not like a. 38, though.

Used a cheap puma 22lr revolver and it was pretty fun to shoot...I filed the sites to get poi/poa correct and started just shooting them with cci sv. Much cheaper and easier to find. But still prefer a poly pipe.
    Last edited by Westtexasrancher; 08-13-2017 at 09:47 AM.

I would avoid the combination of any rifled handgun and shotshell loads as the resulting pattern is always a doughnut with all of the shell in the outer ring and a no shot in the center. The Savage MKIG .22 Smooth Bore is a much better choice and will provide very little report.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I'll add a recommendation for the 6" Ruger Single Six, which is an excellent SA .22LR, and comes with both standard and .22 Magnum barrels.
    ...er, cylinders. Cylinders, not barrels.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

S&W M63-3 3" 22LR 8-shot is a great little revolver.

I thought about Rugers and at the time they didn't have the 3" hammered LCR out, even so I'm glad I have the S&W. It's a gun that will be great this week or in 50 years from now.

Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate everybody giving this some thought and coming up with helpful suggestions. I just need to come to grips with the utilitarian aspects that have to drive this decision and balance that against my own desires for something that offers the most flexibility. You guys have been most helpful with the recommendations you've offered up. (Planning to get something in-house within the next week or two). Thanks again for all the suggestions! [emoji106]

User Tag List