Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire .22LR question

Rimfire .22LR question

Looking for suggestions for preferably an economical (new or used) .22 revolver that also is reasonably accurate. Not looking for a souped-up target race gun but not an inaccurate 'Saturday night special', either. Main shooting ammo will be .22 shot loads to handle some copperheads (which have been particularly bad this year, here in north Texas) and CCI Quiet or Aquila Colibri for the occasional tree rat heard thinning.
    My house is in a semi-subdivision setting, backing up to a creek (thus, the snake problem) and the squirrels got so over populated a couple years ago, a family was forced to find a new nesting location (in my attic!).
    I'm thinking more in terms of a six inch barrel for the increased muzzle velocity for the shot loads and sight radius for the more distant tree rat shot. Now that houses have built up around me, the noise level is a concern (not that I'll be shooting that often around the homestead but no use in giving the neighbors reasons to complain). Open to most any make but needs to be a revolver (since CCI Quiets don't cycle my Ruger 22/45).
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    Last edited by busykngt; 08-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by busykngt View Post
    Looking for suggestions for preferably an economical (new or used) .22 revolver that also is reasonably accurate. Not looking for a souped-up target race gun but not an inaccurate 'Saturday night special', either. Main shooting ammo will be .22 shot loads to handle some copperheads (which have been particularly bad this year, here in north Texas) and CCI Quiet or Aquila Colibri for the occasional tree rat heard thinning.
    My house is in a semi-subdivision setting, backing up to a creek (thus, the snake problem) and the squirrels got so over populated a couple years ago, a family was forced to find a new nesting sight (in my attic!).
    I'm thinking more in terms of a six inch barrel for the increased muzzle velocity for the shot loads and sight radius for the more distant tree rat shot. Now that houses have built up around me, the noise level is a concern (not that I'll be shooting that often around the homestead but no use in giving the neighbors reasons to complain). Open to most any make but needs to be a revolver (since CCI Quiets don't cycle my Ruger 22/45).

--
    New Ruger LCR rim fire models are tempting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

You can always hand cycle the CCI Quiet, and buy ammo with the savings.
    Taking a break from social media.

You might like a 6" K-22 / S&W Model 17. They go for around $700 or so used.

Rimfire .22LR question

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at those. I had looked at a S&W 617 but can't really find them used and they're a little bit more ($$) than I was looking for in such a utilitarian kind of pistol.
    Is there logic in my 6" verses 4" barrel thinking or a ~4" sufficient for my intended use? (Mainly concerned with the terminal / lethal energy delivered from the shot loads, say from approx four feet or so). Not only from a velocity stand point but also from a shot pellet grouping (maybe similar effect as a choke on a shotgun)?
    --
    Last edited by busykngt; 08-12-2017 at 09:30 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    For the snakes, there's always the Savage smooth bore, if you imagine it as a, "Hey, go get the gun for this copperhead," mission rather than just carrying it all the time.

Savage MKIG Smooth Bore 22LR

Uses the crimped shot shells, which are a little harder to find than the CCI capsules. Sometimes referred to as a "garden gun" for dealing with pests.

Then you could just hand cycle the Ruger for the single-projectile stuff.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If you don't mind a single action, I have been very very pleased with my Heritage Rough Rider.

Here's a nickel 8 3/8" for $599 +45 shipping
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/681732416
    Here's a 5" with a scope
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/681282838
    A pre-lock 617 at $1500
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/679999523

I'm tempted to sell my 6" blue K-22 but I need to figure out what grips to match it with.
    I swapped grips with my 66 as a teenager and forgot which it came with ... doh

Rimfire .22LR question

Thanks guys - I'm taking a good hard look at all the suggestions. I did discover the S&W 617 at Grab-A-Gun for $619+$8(shipping) + FFL$. But with my FFL and TX sales tax, that runs it on up to close to $690.
    While I'd like to get a DA, I'm not opposed to SA. Don't those Heritages come with both an LR cylinder and a WMR cylinder (or is that "optional"?).
    Thanks Bobcat, I'll be sure to take a look at gun broker.
    --
    Last edited by busykngt; 08-12-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Rimfire .22LR question

Yeah, I took a shovel to a juvenile (still had the yellow flash on it's tail) on the back porch, earlier in the Spring. Then was grilling out in the back yard July 4th and half way through gettin' the burgers done, looked down about six feet away and another copperhead was busy sunning himself (or herself) in the warm sun but that one got away before I could get the shovel. So yeah, it's a *real* problem this year... it's Texas!
    --
    Last edited by busykngt; 08-12-2017 at 11:36 PM.

User Tag List