Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rimfire .22LR question

There's really no such thing as long distance shots using .22 snake shot. Six feet is about your maximum effective range, regardless of barrel length.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

A smaller, lighter alternative to the Single-Six is the Ruger Bearcat, the sights of which should be adequate at snake killing distances. I've know people to use airguns for squirrels, but they are a little higher-end than a Daisy Red Rider.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I urge you to use .22 lr regular ammo and not rat shots for snakes. You can shoot at paper at snake distance to see where to hold. If you determine the snake to be non venomous, consider allowing it to continue on its way.

This would be my recommendation as I have one and IT IS AWESOME!!!!! It is THE ONLY DA 22LR/22MAG convertible made. I got mine & 2013...
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

The Most Versatile Tracker Ever No other revolver in its class comes close to matching the versatility of the new Tracker 992. It easily transforms from .22 LR to .22 Magnum in seconds with its breakthrough removable cylinder. It’s everything you could ever want for plinking, target practice or varmint hunting with these popular and affordable ammunition choices!
    Last edited by badge851; 08-20-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badge851 View Post
    This would be my recommendation as I have one and IT IS AWESOME!!!!! It is THE ONLY DA 22LR/22MAG convertible made. I got mine & 2013...
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

The Most Versatile Tracker Ever No other revolver in its class comes close to matching the versatility of the new Tracker 992. It easily transforms from .22 LR to .22 Magnum in seconds with its breakthrough removable cylinder. It’s everything you could ever want for plinking, target practice or varmint hunting with these popular and affordable ammunition choices!
    Except for the S&W model 48. Good luck finding one of those though.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Except for the S&W model 48. Good luck finding one of those though.
    The S&W® only fires 22Mag, the Taurus® TRACKER™ has two interchangeable cylinders; 22LR and 22Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by badge851 View Post
    The S&W® only fires 22Mag, the Taurus® TRACKER™ has two interchangeable cylinders; 22LR and 22Mag.
    S&W used to make a kit with interchangeable cylinders, thus the comment about good luck finding one.
    Julius Caesar

I have two that work well for me.

Ruger Super Single Six with a 5.25 inch barrel is the critter hunting revolver.

Smith and Wesson 317 is my pocket woods companion. Fixed sights and two inch barrel are not the best option for small game but with 8 double actions shots on tap for snakes I like it better as the woods walkabout gun.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I would avoid the combination of any rifled handgun and shotshell loads as the resulting pattern is always a doughnut with all of the shell in the outer ring and a no shot in the center. The Savage MKIG .22 Smooth Bore is a much better choice and will provide very little report.
    At the ranges you shoot snakes, it's a non-issue. I patterned my single shot .44 out to 7 yards, and there was no where a snake could be on a sheet of copy paper and not get hit. 7 yards would be a real long shot, at least locally.

(Yes, I know a .44 shotshell holds more shot, but at the ranges we're talking about I don't think you'll see a doughnut)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    At the ranges you shoot snakes, it's a non-issue. I patterned my single shot .44 out to 7 yards, and there was no where a snake could be on a sheet of copy paper and not get hit. 7 yards would be a real long shot, at least locally.

(Yes, I know a .44 shotshell holds more shot, but at the ranges we're talking about I don't think you'll see a doughnut)
    That is interesting as my results with .22 LR shotshells and rifled barrels have shown the doughnut. I have not tried any other handgun shotshells, but I have pattered the .22 ones with a S&W M617 and a T/C Contender. Both created the doughnut at distances of less than seven yards. I have no guess as to why the results are different; the only thing I can think of is that the .22 shot is so small (called "dust").

User Tag List